unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Network does not work inside Virtual Machine
@ 2019-07-07  0:52 ` Raghav Gururajan
       [not found]   ` <3ff64c9873aa9346cb40f279e0ea2e89@disroot.org>
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-07-07  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Folks!

I have libvirtd and virt-manager installed. When I created a VM and installed Trisquel in it, the network connection doesn't get active inside the VM. It kind of loads for a bit and end up with red cross. I tried both "bridge" and "passthrough" options in the VM settings. Both did not work. Any idea please?

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Network does not work inside Virtual Machine
       [not found]   ` <3ff64c9873aa9346cb40f279e0ea2e89@disroot.org>
@ 2019-07-07 17:25     ` Kristofer Buffington
From: Kristofer Buffington @ 2019-07-07 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

If the openvswitch-service-type is part of the operating-system services
then virt-manager should be able to add virtual network devices on a
per-VM basis.

Here's the services section from my machine hosting VMs:

  (services (append (list (static-networking-service
                            "enp3s0f0" "192.168.1.5"
                            #:netmask "255.255.255.0"
                            #:gateway "192.168.1.254")
			  (lsh-service #:interfaces '("192.168.1.5"))
			  (service openvswitch-service-type
				   (openvswitch-configuration))
			  (service libvirt-service-type
				   (libvirt-configuration
                                    (unix-sock-group "wheel")
				    (listen-addr "192.168.1.5")
				    (listen-tls? #f)
				    (listen-tcp? #t)))
                          (service virtlog-service-type))
                    %custom-services))

@ 2019-07-07 20:07     ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-07-07 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristofer Buffington; +Cc: help-guix

> If the openvswitch-service-type is part of the operating-system services
> then virt-manager should be able to add virtual network devices on a
> per-VM basis.

Thanks! I am gonna try this :)

@ 2019-07-08 20:14       ` Raghav Gururajan
       [not found]         ` <878st8dmjh.fsf@walletsworth.com>
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-07-08 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristofer Buffington; +Cc: help-guix

> If the openvswitch-service-type is part of the operating-system
> services
> then virt-manager should be able to add virtual network devices on a
> per-VM basis.

Could you tell me what options appear in network settings of your VM?
Mine shows "No Virtual Networks Found", "Ethernet: macvtap" and "WiFi:
macvtap". This is even after enabling openvswitch service.

Also, what is the use of including `(unix-socks-group "wheel")` inside
libvirt service configuration?

       [not found]           ` <e1701259afd3f367bdecbe8f19f3c2d6815b1b91.camel@disroot.org>
@ 2019-07-09  2:22             ` Kristofer Buffington
From: Kristofer Buffington @ 2019-07-09  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

An important note, in order for virtual NICs to be used, the host
machine must have a physical NIC that is "up", but is not assigned any
network address. In a situation where there is only one physical NIC, an
administrator should create a virtual NIC on the host machine for
networking instead of using the physical NIC.

-kb

* Re: Network does not work inside Virtual Machine
@ 2019-07-09  2:26               ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-07-09  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristofer Buffington; +Cc: help-guix

> An important note, in order for virtual NICs to be used, the host
> machine must have a physical NIC that is "up", but is not assigned
> any
> network address. In a situation where there is only one physical NIC,
> an
> administrator should create a virtual NIC on the host machine for
> networking instead of using the physical NIC.

Thanks! Could you please guide me on how to create that?

@ 2019-07-09  5:14                 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2019-07-09  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 10:26:57PM -0400, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> > […]
> > administrator should create a virtual NIC on the host machine for
> > […]
>
> Thanks! Could you please guide me on how to create that?

I do not know about libvirt and if that works here, but could this be
a case for the section on NetworkManager’s dnsmasq in `info guix`?

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Network does not work inside Virtual Machine
@ 2019-07-09 15:19                   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-07-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: help-guix

> I do not know about libvirt and if that works here, but could this be
> a case for the section on NetworkManager’s dnsmasq in `info guix`?

Not sure. 😕

Regards,
RG.