unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Stuck at boot on fresh install
@ 2024-03-24 20:58 David Lecompte
From: David Lecompte @ 2024-03-24 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all,

I did a fresh Guix install on an X200 with gnuboot.

When booting with seabios, I get the GRUB prompt for the deciphering
password, I successfully get to the boot menu with "GNU with Linux-Libre
6.0.10" (actually, I realized that, although I asked for French keyboard,
the keyboard layout is US), I press enter, the menu disappears, the Guix
logo and the word Guix in background and nothing happens anymore.

I tried re-installing once, same result.

Thanks for any advice,
David.

* Re: Stuck at boot on fresh install
@ 2024-03-25 12:16 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2024-03-25 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lecompte; +Cc: help-guix

Hello David,  Could you try editing the GRUB boot options (press E
during GRUB) and append to the linux boot line:

nomodeset

This would rule out graphics driver problems.

However, I also know a PC where GRUB sometimes (only sometimes) just
gets stuck and the PC needs a restart and it works the next time.

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Stuck at boot on fresh install
@ 2024-03-25 12:54   ` David Lecompte
From: David Lecompte @ 2024-03-25 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: help-guix

Hi Florian,

> Could you try editing the GRUB boot options (press E
> during GRUB) and append to the linux boot line:
>
> nomodeset
>
> This would rule out graphics driver problems.

Thanks, I tried, it makes no difference. The boot menu is taking a small
portion of the screen, with the Guix logo followed by Guix, which remains
there forever.

Regards,

@ 2024-03-25 13:54 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2024-03-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lecompte; +Cc: help-guix

You further could try editing the Guix configuration file in the
installer to get another kernel such as:

(use-package-modules linux)

(operating-system
  …
  (kernel linux-libre-4.19)
  …)

Further, I believe there are other X200 users, but I cannot find the
thread on yhetil.org.

Is it perhaps necessary to upgrade the BIOS first?

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Stuck at boot on fresh install
@ 2024-03-25 16:00   ` David Lecompte
From: David Lecompte @ 2024-03-25 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: help-guix

Hi Florian,

> You further could try editing the Guix configuration file in the
> installer to get another kernel such as:
>
> (use-package-modules linux)
>
> (operating-system
>   …
>   (kernel linux-libre-4.19)
>   …)

Thanks, I did not know I could do that during the install.

However, when I enter the passphrase, GRUB now replies:

error: access denied
error: no such cryptodisk found.

which is what I had before when I typed the passphrase wrong. I tried
several times, assuming different keyboard layouts, it did not work.

Either I did not apply your suggestion properly, or I made another mistake
during the setup, or something is missing.

> Is it perhaps necessary to upgrade the BIOS first?

The BIOS is GNU boot v0.1 rc 3, latest version of GNU boot. With it,
Trisquel works fine.

I feel a little tired now, I will retry another day.

@ 2024-03-25 17:03     ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2024-03-25 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lecompte; +Cc: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz), help-guix

I've been having a vaguely similar issue - which I think also seems to be a cryptodisk not being found, though in this case not with a new install as such, but with an old install which started happening after removing a bunch of old generations. I thought it was a btrfs issue, and so reinstalled with xfs instead. And the initial stock install went fine and booted, but as soon as I had installed my actual old configuration, the same issue recurred. I have to do some additional diagnosis yet.

best,
          —Benjamin
 --
 '(Dr Benjamin Slade (he/him)
     (website . <https://lambda-y.net>)

@ 2024-03-25 18:32     ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-03-25 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lecompte, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: help-guix

Hi David,

On Mon, Mar 25 2024, David Lecompte wrote:

> error: no such cryptodisk found.

Do you use LUKS on boot?  Our GRUB supports only a particular type of
key.  Maybe that's the issue?

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: Stuck at boot on fresh install
@ 2024-04-06 19:28       ` David Lecompte
From: David Lecompte @ 2024-04-06 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner, David Lecompte, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: help-guix

Hi Felix, Florian, all

Le lundi 25 mars 2024 à 11:32 -0700, Felix Lechner a écrit :
> > error: no such cryptodisk found.
>
> Do you use LUKS on boot?  Our GRUB supports only a particular type of
> key.  Maybe that's the issue?

I saw from the manual that only LUKS v1 is supported. Is that the only
restriction or are there others?

In any case, this is a fresh install made with the graphical installer, I
did not configure encryption myself, so it seems that the installer does not
work with this option (I tried without, it works). Maybe it would be worth
mentioning that in the manual.

So I will I have to make a manual installation probably. In the manual, 11.1
starts with "You’re reading this section probably because you have just
installed Guix System" but I guess this is also what to read before making a
manual installation.

David.