unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Modify how to connect to network in GuixSD graphical installer
@ 2019-08-29 13:02 Meikel
From: Meikel @ 2019-08-29 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi folks,

I try to install GuixSD into a kvm-based VM. I use a graphical tool (I
assume it' s virt-manager) to get started. I follow the GuixSD
installation with the graphical installer. When it comes to network
connectivity I get some problems. I' m able to establish internet
connectivity when I open the console via STRG-ALT-F3 and enter (real
values are hidden)

   ifconfig eth0 xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa netmask 255.255.255.255
   route add aaa.bbb.ccc.254 dev eth0
   route add default gw aaa.bbb.ccc.254
   # use OVH nameserver which is close to me:
   echo 'nameserver 213.186.33.99' >> /etc/resolv.conf

After those commands now I' m able to successfully run

   ping -c 3 gnu.org

I feel that the graphical installation would be able to complete if it
could manage to get connected to the network. I don't want to run the
complete manual shell-based installation because only the step with
establishing network connectivity fails.

I' m wondering if it' s possible for me to "manipulate" the graphical
installer and add the commands outlined above? Is the graphical
installer based on some shell scripts which I can modify?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Salutations distinguées,
A scheener Grüeß,
Bescht Gréiss,
Kind regards,

Meikel

* Re: Modify how to connect to network in GuixSD graphical installer
@ 2019-09-01 11:01 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-09-01 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meikel; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Meikel,

Meikel <meikel@fn.de> skribis:

> I try to install GuixSD into a kvm-based VM. I use a graphical tool (I
> assume it' s virt-manager) to get started. I follow the GuixSD
> installation with the graphical installer. When it comes to network
> connectivity I get some problems.

What problems did you get with the graphical installer precisely?

The installer should be able to set up networking on its own.  It uses
Connman from that, a network connectivity management tool akin to
NetworkManager.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Modify how to connect to network in GuixSD graphical installer
@ 2019-09-03  9:31   ` Meikel
From: Meikel @ 2019-09-03  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Ludovic,

Am 01.09.2019 um 13:01 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> What problems did you get with the graphical installer precisely?

I get a dialog "Checking connectivity" with a text "Waiting for Internet
access establishment ..." and a progress bar that runs from 0% to 100%.
When 100% is reached I get an error dialog "Connection error" with a
text saying "The selected network does not provide access to the
Internet, please try again." and an OK button. After I press the OK
button the "Checking connectivity" starts again from and then fails again.

I imagine that the values for own IP address and for default gateway
can't be determined by the installer. There is no DHCP server providing
those values. I think that I need to enter those values manually.

Regards,

Meikel