unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* mailing list and Evolution /Email client
@ 2022-02-06 14:17 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-06 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

 Hello,

I am new at GNU Guix and want to ask about the mailing list.

Can I enter the mailing list and look at the topics there in order to
learn from others? How I can do that?
Or can I only send my questions to the mailing list in order to get
answers?

I wanted to install evolution, hoping that I can use an email client in
a graphical way. Before finisting the installation there was a message:

"The name org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources5 was not provided by
any .service files.

Does this mean I can´t install evolution?

chloris

* Re: mailing list and Evolution /Email client
@ 2022-02-12  9:29 ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2022-02-12  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Everything is archived :
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/

Jérémy K.

@ 2022-02-12 10:45 ` David Lecompte via
From: David Lecompte via @ 2022-02-12 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-guix

Le dimanche 06 février 2022 à 14:17 +0000, Gottfried a écrit :
>  Hello,
>
> I am new at GNU Guix and want to ask about the mailing list.

Hello, and welcome. You may want to say whether you are using Guix
system or on a foreign distro. I am using Guix on Trisquel and on
Debian.

> Can I enter the mailing list and look at the topics there in order to
> learn from others? How I can do that?
> Or can I only send my questions to the mailing list in order to get
> answers?

You can read, ask questions for help and answer other people's question
if you know a solution to their problem.

> I wanted to install evolution, hoping that I can use an email client
> in
> a graphical way. Before finisting the installation there was a
> message:
>
> "The name org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources5 was not provided by
> any .service files.
>
> Does this mean I can´t install evolution?

Did you ask to install the evolution and evolution-dataserver?

I tried installing Evolution from Guix a while ago, I had some kind of
errors and since Evolution from Trisquel and Debian are working fine, I
did not try more.

If you are using Guix on Debian or Trisquel, I can try installing
evolution from Guix again in order to compare with you.

David.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - david.lecompte@metani.info - 292b3e27.asc --]

* Re: mailing list and Evolution /Email client and: Guix compared with Trisquel/Guix
@ 2022-02-13  8:43   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-13  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lecompte, help-guix

Hello,

thanks for the answer.

I installed Guix as my system, not on any other distro.

I wanted to install "Thunderbird", but that was not possible, than I
tried to install "Evolution", but that didn´t work because I didn´t know
that I have also to install "evolution-dataserver" (thanks to Your
reply), later after hours of searching I found out, that in GNU Guix
"Thunderbird" has a different name "Icedove" and I was able to install
"Icedove". So at the moment I don´t need "Evolution". Icedove works fine
at the moment.

What`s the difference to install GNU Guix as a system or install
Trisquel and Guix on top of it? What is the advantage of both possibilities?

I installed Guix as my System because if I had installed Trisquel I
would have older software. And to add Guix on top of Trisquel seemed to
me not so beneficiary and may be leading to inconsistency. To be on the
save side I installed Guix as my System in order to run smoothly.

Chloris

@ 2022-02-13  8:49     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-02-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> What`s the difference to install GNU Guix as a system or install
> Trisquel and Guix on top of it? What is the advantage of both
> possibilities?

With Guix System you get all the services from Guix System.

You can boot older generations of your system, and there is no “state”
shared between generations of your system.  Any time you upgrade your
system (with “guix system reconfigure /path/to/my/config.scm”) Guix
builds a new, independent system.  Any time you boot you can select the
latest or a previous generation of your system, and when booting the
selected system is initialized from scratch (it copies files from
/gnu/store to /etc, creates user accounts, etc).

What’s great about this Guix System approach in my opinion:

- you have a safety net and can recover from bad upgrades
- changes to the system are not permanent unless you make them so
- changes to one system generation don’t affect older system generations

There is still a potential for complication when changing hardware
(e.g. an old generation expecting a certain disk to appear, but you no
longer have a disk with that label, so you can’t boot that old
generation without hassle), but overall it takes the fear out of
upgrading.

> I installed Guix as my System because if I had installed Trisquel I
> would have older software. And to add Guix on top of Trisquel seemed
> to me not so beneficiary and may be leading to inconsistency. To be on
> the save side I installed Guix as my System in order to run smoothly.

Good choice!  When you use Guix on top of Trisquel you’re still using a
lot of software from Trisquel, which has the potential of conflicting
with your software from Guix — especially with search paths and
environment variables that invariably end up causing Trisquel to load
incompatible stuff from Guix or vice versa.

--
Ricardo

@ 2022-02-13 11:46     ` David Lecompte
From: David Lecompte @ 2022-02-13 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-guix

Le dimanche 13 février 2022 à 08:43 +0000, Gottfried a écrit :
> So at the moment I don´t need "Evolution". Icedove works fine
> at the moment.

I chose Evolution because it uses the GPG keys maintained by generic
tools, while Icedove ignores them. However, Icedove is also a good
choice and I may try it again.

> What`s the difference to install GNU Guix as a system or install
> Trisquel and Guix on top of it?

Trisquel is rather user-friendly, especially for users not at ease with
computers or with GNU/Linux. So I can recommend it to those users so
that more people use entirely free software.

Trisquel uses stable releases, so any software update will not break
anything and maintenance work for the user is exactly zero. This is
also very nice for running servers.

On the web, there are lots of solutions for Ubuntu, most of which work
with Trisquel unchanged, or with almost no change.

With Guix, you can have newer versions and roll back, and a lot of
other great things that Ricardo and others can explain. I am trying to
learn and I thank them for that. However, this is clearly more work
than Trisquel, probably over what many computer users want.

> I installed Guix as my System because if I had installed Trisquel I
> would have older software.

Older software is usually more stable and ok for most users.

Nevertheless, Trisquel provides updates for newer version of the web
browser (abrowser, based on Firefox) and of Libreoffice. For them,
Trisquel's versions are actually newer than Guix.

I use Guix on Trisquel mostly for Gajim. I also use Ungoogled Chromium
for one hardly avoidable website (health care) that does not work with
Abrowser/Firefox. I also use darktable from Guix, but perhaps the
version from Trisquel would be fine too.

I want to thank Guix for its option to run on other distros, it is much
better than Flatpak, Appimage or whatever else. I want to try making
that even easier, so people running Trisquel can use it more easily.

>  And to add Guix on top of Trisquel seemed to me not so beneficiary
> and may be leading to inconsistency. To be on the save side I
> installed Guix as my System in order to run smoothly.

The risk of inconsistencies exists. I only had one and someone gave me
a solution on this list (add a line to my .profile). No other issue so
far.

I may try Guix system at some point, but for now, I am focusing on
helping Trisquel users, including for them to use Guix on Trisquel.

@ 2022-02-14 18:04       ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-14 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lecompte, help-guix

Thanks very much for the exact answer.