unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Installing Guix from source
@ 2019-07-14  5:46 Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2019-07-14  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

I tried to build Guix from source on an existing version of GuixSD.  so I followed
the instructions provided in official documents:

https://guix.info/manual/en/html_node/Requirements.html
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html

after build finished, I had two versions of Guix on my machine, the old one which
is located in store, and the new one  which is installed in `/usr/local/bin`.

the problem is that the old instance of guix is detected as default on my machine.
since I performed a series of  modifications on this new version, like changing the
default channels and substitute servers, I need to replace old instance of Guix
completely with this new one.

Does anyone knows how can I perform this replacement?

Best,
Reza

* Re: Installing Guix from source
@ 2019-07-14  8:50 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-14  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Alizadeh Majd; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Reza,

> after build finished, I had two versions of Guix on my machine, the old one which
> is located in store, and the new one  which is installed in `/usr/local/bin`.
>
> the problem is that the old instance of guix is detected as default on
> my machine.

What do you mean by “detected”?  On any GNU system shell commands are
mapped to executables by looking for matching executables in any of the
directories listed in the PATH environment variable.  If there are more
than one executable of a name, the order of directories on PATH
determines which of them is returned.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Installing Guix from source
@ 2019-07-14 10:39   ` Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2019-07-14 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Ricardo,

> What do you mean by “detected”?  On any GNU system shell commands are
> mapped to executables by looking for matching executables in any of the
> directories listed in the PATH environment variable.  If there are more
> than one executable of a name, the order of directories on PATH
> determines which of them is returned.

I know that I can set PATH in order to load my preferred version of guix instead of
previously installed one. what I mean is that I want to replace whole previous
installation, with this new one.

for example since I modified default channels for guix, there are various versions
of `channels.scm` exists on my machine, I want that guix uses my provided
configurations instead of the version originally existed in store.

Regards,

@ 2019-07-14 17:24 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-07-14 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Alizadeh Majd, help-guix

"Reza Alizadeh Majd" <r.majd@pantherx.org> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I tried to build Guix from source on an existing version of GuixSD.  so I followed
> the instructions provided in official documents:
>
> https://guix.info/manual/en/html_node/Requirements.html
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html
>
> after build finished, I had two versions of Guix on my machine, the old one which
> is located in store, and the new one  which is installed in `/usr/local/bin`.
>
> the problem is that the old instance of guix is detected as default on my machine.
> since I performed a series of  modifications on this new version, like changing the
> default channels and substitute servers, I need to replace old instance of Guix
> completely with this new one.
>
> Does anyone knows how can I perform this replacement?

If you have made git commits out of your changes, you can do `guix pull
 --url=/your/guix/checkout`.  Otherwise you can use the './pre-inst-env'
 script, as described in the link above.

"./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure my-config.scm" will create a new
system generation using only code from the git repository.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Installing Guix from source
@ 2019-07-15 15:05   ` Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2019-07-15 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke, help-guix

Hi Marius,

> If you have made git commits out of your changes, you can do `guix pull
>  --url=/your/guix/checkout`.  Otherwise you can use the './pre-inst-env'
>  script, as described in the link above.
>
> "./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure my-config.scm" will create a new
> system generation using only code from the git repository.

Thanks for your reply. I performed both of these suggestions, but
unfortunately nor the `guix pull ...` or using `./pre-inst-env ...` script
won't  helped me on creating a new generation with customized version
of  configurations.

Best,
Reza