unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Re: Virtualisation
@ 2022-09-25 16:01 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-09-25 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3319 bytes --]

> I am not exactly sure what happened, but I think you should set the
> groups in the your operating config.
>
> #+begin_src scheme
> (supplementary-groups
>   '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")))
> #+end_src

> #+begin_src scheme
> (supplementary-groups
>   '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video" "libvirt")))
> #+end_src
>
> And then do a ~guix system reconfigure ..~. Your user should then be
> part of the libvirt group even after reboots.

Thank you very much.
I did as you said and it worked.
I am happy.
Gottfried

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

 > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
 > Am 24.09.22 um 23:05 schrieb Gottfried:

 >>> I would add your user the to group you configure libvirt-service-type
 >>> with, e.g. "libvirt" ... or configure libvirt-service-type with a
 >>> different group that your user is already a part of.
 >>>
 >>> live well,
 >>>    vagrant
 >> Hi,
 >> I added my user to the group "libvirt", but it didn't help. It gives
 >> the same error message.
 >> May be something else?
 >>   Gottfried
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > it is very strange.
 >
 > I added my user"gfp" to the group "libvirt" and checked it yesterday,
 > and I was added into that group.
 >
 > It was through the command:
 > sudo usermod -a -G libvirt gfp
 >
 > But today, when I checked it again,
 > I was not in the group "libvirt"
 >
 > How can that be?
 >
 > [2. OpenPGP public key --- application/pgp-keys;
OpenPGP_0x61FAF349C9FB7F94.asc]...

 > [[End of PGP Signed Part]]

I am not exactly sure what happened, but I think you should set the
groups in the your operating config.

#+begin_src scheme
(supplementary-groups
   '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")))
#+end_src

#+begin_src scheme
(supplementary-groups
   '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video" "libvirt")))
#+end_src

And then do a ~guix system reconfigure ..~. Your user should then be
part of the libvirt group even after reboots.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Virtualisation
@ 2024-02-13 17:33 Fabio Natali
From: Fabio Natali @ 2024-02-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi! 👋

I need to set up a small number of VMs on a server. The network
architecture would be fairly simple.

I'm considering to use Guix for the server, plus some virtualisation
tools/scripts to set up the VMs, as an alternative to Proxmox and
similar common solutions.

I know Ganeti might be an option, but I understand it might be a bit of
an overkill for a small number of VMs?

Does anyone have any recommendation, in terms of a small-scale
virtualisation setup, ideally declarative and perhaps Guile-based?
Anything I could take inspiration from?

Thanks, cheers, Fabio.

--
Fabio Natali
https://fabionatali.com

* Re: Virtualisation
@ 2024-02-14  7:47 ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2024-02-14  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Natali; +Cc: help-guix

Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com> writes:

> I need to set up a small number of VMs on a server. The network
> architecture would be fairly simple.
>
> I'm considering to use Guix for the server, plus some virtualisation
> tools/scripts to set up the VMs, as an alternative to Proxmox and
> similar common solutions.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendation, in terms of a small-scale
> virtualisation setup, ideally declarative and perhaps Guile-based?
> Anything I could take inspiration from?

Libvirt has been working perfectly for me on my Guix System for years!
Although it doesn't have a web interface as far as I know, you can
easily connect to it via a GUI interface.  You can also manage remote
Libvirt instances, with the added bonus of being able to view graphics
from a guest, using both GUI and command line tools.

Oleg.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Virtualisation
@ 2024-02-14 15:11   ` Fabio Natali
From: Fabio Natali @ 2024-02-14 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: help-guix

On 2024-02-14, 10:47 +0300, Oleg Pykhalov <go.wigust@gmail.com> wrote:
> Libvirt has been working perfectly for me on my Guix System for years!

Hey Oleg,

Thanks for getting back to me and sharing your experience. It really
helps.

Yeah, libvirt seems like the best option, I think I'll go for it.

Thanks, best wishes, F.

--
Fabio Natali
https://fabionatali.com