unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-02  1:53 jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-02  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Help

hi,

after running `make clean-go` the build gets consistently stuck on

WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'

am i missing a step?

all best,

jgart

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-02  7:20 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-11-02  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: help-guix

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> after running `make clean-go` the build gets consistently stuck on
>
> WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
> WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'

These are warnings, not errors.  What do you mean by “gets […] stuck”?
“make clean-go” is only supposed to delete .go files.

--
Ricardo

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-02  7:48   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-02  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 08:20:09 +0100 Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
>
> > after running `make clean-go` the build gets consistently stuck on
> >
> > WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
> > WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
>
> These are warnings, not errors.  What do you mean by “gets […] stuck”?

I mean that instead of getting a quick build now that the guile object
files are gone it just gets stuck indefinitely at that warning.

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-02  8:02     ` Philip McGrath
From: Philip McGrath @ 2022-11-02  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner via

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022, at 3:48 AM, jgart wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 08:20:09 +0100 Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>>
>> jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
>>
>> > after running `make clean-go` the build gets consistently stuck on
>> >
>> > WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
>> > WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
>>
>> These are warnings, not errors.  What do you mean by “gets […] stuck”?
>
> I mean that instead of getting a quick build now that the guile object
> files are gone it just gets stuck indefinitely at that warning.

Try `make clean-go && make && echo hooray`. My guess is that your build is finishing successfully (`make` exits with status 0) and the last output just happens to be those warning messages.

If by “gets […] stuck” you mean that `make` never exits, that would indeed be a problem.

This is legitimately confusing, though! A good reason to figure out how not to trigger those warnings.

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-02  9:15       ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-11-02  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip McGrath; +Cc: help-guix

"Philip McGrath" <philip@philipmcgrath.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2022, at 3:48 AM, jgart wrote:

>>> These are warnings, not errors.  What do you mean by “gets […] stuck”?
>>
>> I mean that instead of getting a quick build now that the guile object
>> files are gone it just gets stuck indefinitely at that warning.
>
> Try `make clean-go && make && echo hooray`. My guess is that your
> build is finishing successfully (`make` exits with status 0) and the
> last output just happens to be those warning messages.
>
> If by “gets […] stuck” you mean that `make` never exits, that would indeed be a problem.
>
> This is legitimately confusing, though! A good reason to figure out how not to trigger those warnings.

I regularly get a locked up make on my i686 machine when trying to build
from source, so this does not seem that unlikely to me.  What seems to
happen in my case is there are two make subprocesses, both taking little
CPU time and both with a D status in htop.  I've basically given up
trying to build Guix from source on i686 because of bugs like this.

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-04  0:45     ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-04  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 02:48:03 -0500 jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 08:20:09 +0100 Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
> >
> > jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
> >
> > > after running `make clean-go` the build gets consistently stuck on
> > >
> > > WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
> > > WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
> >
> > These are warnings, not errors.  What do you mean by “gets […] stuck”?
>
> I mean that instead of getting a quick build now that the guile object
> files are gone it just gets stuck indefinitely at that warning.

Interesting bug:

It does build eventually but after taking a long time and emitting this warning:

WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'

I've only observed this happening after running `make clean-go`.

The only way to fix it from practical experience is to run the whole
bootstrap configure make process all over again.

Ricardo,

After running `make clean-go` do you observe the same behaviour on your
machine? Are you on Guix System or a foreign distro?

@ 2022-11-04 16:16       ` (
From: ( @ 2022-11-04 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri Nov 4, 2022 at 12:45 AM GMT, jgart wrote:
> Interesting bug:
>
> It does build eventually but after taking a long time and emitting this warning:
>
> WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
> WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'

These are normal, IME. (They should be fixed at some point though...)

> I've only observed this happening after running `make clean-go`.

Sure; make clean-go deletes all the compiled .go files, so it makes sense that
it'd take a while to finish after that.

    -- (

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-05 15:16         ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

On Fri, 04 Nov 2022 16:16:39 +0000 "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> Sure; make clean-go deletes all the compiled .go files, so it makes sense that
> it'd take a while to finish after that.

How about the time after the first compile after cleaning all the go files?

I'm just wondering if I'm missing a step after running `make clean-go`
in order to then get the speed up again.

Do I just need to rebuild a few times so that it then regenerates the go files?

@ 2022-11-05 15:17           ` (
From: ( @ 2022-11-05 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

On Sat Nov 5, 2022 at 3:16 PM GMT, jgart wrote:
> I'm just wondering if I'm missing a step after running `make clean-go`
> in order to then get the speed up again.

I don't think you are.

    -- (

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-05 15:35             ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-05 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

On Sat, 05 Nov 2022 15:17:47 +0000 "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> On Sat Nov 5, 2022 at 3:16 PM GMT, jgart wrote:
> > I'm just wondering if I'm missing a step after running `make clean-go`
> > in order to then get the speed up again.
>
> I don't think you are.
>
>     -- (

So, just build a few times and it should speed up because the go files have been regenerated?

For example, after running `make clean-go` building nnn which is a small
file manager takes the following:

 time ./pre-inst-env guix build nnn
WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'

/gnu/store/byap6zn0g5gbv43wg67cdkvlnl24hhlg-nnn-4.6

real    3m43.164s
user    5m8.290s
sys     0m0.734s

If I run that same command I expect it to be faster because I assume
that the go files are already there but lo and behold:

 time ./pre-inst-env guix build nnn
WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'

/gnu/store/byap6zn0g5gbv43wg67cdkvlnl24hhlg-nnn-4.6

real    3m43.498s
user    5m6.128s
sys     0m0.683s

And here I try it one more time:

time ./pre-inst-env guix build nnn
WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'

/gnu/store/byap6zn0g5gbv43wg67cdkvlnl24hhlg-nnn-4.6

real    3m36.902s
user    5m1.588s
sys     0m0.671s

fun times ;()

wdyt

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-05 15:37               ` (
From: ( @ 2022-11-05 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

On Sat Nov 5, 2022 at 3:35 PM GMT, jgart wrote:
> For example, after running `make clean-go` building nnn which is a small
> file manager takes the following:
>
>  time ./pre-inst-env guix build nnn
> WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
> WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
>
> /gnu/store/byap6zn0g5gbv43wg67cdkvlnl24hhlg-nnn-4.6
>
> real    3m43.164s
> user    5m8.290s
> sys     0m0.734s
>
> If I run that same command I expect it to be faster because I assume
> that the go files are already there but lo and behold:
>
>  time ./pre-inst-env guix build nnn
> WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
> WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
>
> /gnu/store/byap6zn0g5gbv43wg67cdkvlnl24hhlg-nnn-4.6
>
> real    3m43.498s
> user    5m6.128s
> sys     0m0.683s
>
> And here I try it one more time:
>
> time ./pre-inst-env guix build nnn
> WARNING: Use of `load' in declarative module (guix ui).  Add #:declarative? #f to your define-module invocation.
> WARNING: (guix build python-build-system): imported module (guix build utils) overrides core binding `delete'
>
> /gnu/store/byap6zn0g5gbv43wg67cdkvlnl24hhlg-nnn-4.6
>
> real    3m36.902s
> user    5m1.588s
> sys     0m0.671s
>
> fun times ;()
>
> wdyt

Ahh. I thought you were talking about using ``make -j$(nproc)''. Use that and it should get
a LOT faster.

    -- (

* Re: make clean-go breaks my build environment
@ 2022-11-05 15:55                 ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

On Sat, 05 Nov 2022 15:37:45 +0000 "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> Ahh. I thought you were talking about using ``make -j$(nproc)''. Use that and it should get
> a LOT faster.

ah that was the missing step I was talking about.

communication over email can be hard sometimes

Should we document that running make is required after running make clean-go?

I don't think a new user will deduce that especially if they're new to guile
and don't know what go is or how it relate to whatever running make is doing...

They might make the same error I just made.