unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to open: Usb, hdd and other storage sata
@ 2022-10-14 11:46 101ab--- via
From: 101ab--- via @ 2022-10-14 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hello, excuse my English. Can you give me a hint?
I am new to guix. I have installed the OS but I have no idea how to open my usb drives and my hdd? Lsusb shows my usb storage but file manager is silent. I am using xfce.

Thanks a lot in advance for the answer. I really looked for this information in search, manual, but i couldn't find anything there. If you can, please show me this point in the manual. Thank you very much for your work

* Re: How to open: Usb, hdd and other storage sata
@ 2022-10-14 16:00 ` kiasoc5
From: kiasoc5 @ 2022-10-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: 101ab

On Fri, Oct 14 2022, 01:46:20 PM +0200
101ab--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello, excuse my English. Can you give me a hint?
> I am new to guix. I have installed the OS but I have no idea how to
> open my usb drives and my hdd? Lsusb shows my usb storage but file
> manager is silent. I am using xfce.

Since you are using xfce, I would check the Thunar settings. There
should be something that lets Thunar automatically mount drives.

* Re: How to open: Usb, hdd and other storage sata
@ 2022-10-14 18:46 ` Niklas Schmidt
From: Niklas Schmidt @ 2022-10-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 101ab; +Cc: Help Guix

Hello everybody,

I can't speak for Thunar or any other graphical file manager, but I
think many file managers do in some way or another support File System
in Userspace (FUSE).

I use Udisks to mount storage media without "sudo".

In my operating system definition, I add my user to the fuse group:

   (users
    (cons* (user-account (name "nschmidt")
  		       (group "users")
  		       (supplementary-groups '("fuse" "wheel")))
  	 %base-user-accounts))

   (groups
    (cons* (user-group (name "fuse"))
  	 %base-groups))

   (packages
    (append
     (list fuse gvfs udisks)
     %base-packages))

For this I had to add:

  (use-service-modules desktop)
  (use-package-modules freedesktop ; udisks
  		     gnome  ; gvfs
  		     linux) ; fuse

Mounting and unmounting goes like so:

  $ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdb
  Mounted /dev/sdb at /media/nschmidt/3437-6CE7.

  $ udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdb

(Use lsblk to find out the block device node path /dev/sdX.)

I am not sure if this is of any help with Thunar. Currently, I do not
have a storage medium at hand to test either.

Best regards
Niklas