unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* scanner
@ 2022-02-21 17:13                                         ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SeerLite, Gary Johnson; +Cc: help-guix

Am 20.02.22 um 20:57 schrieb SeerLite:
> On 2/20/22 13:25, Gottfried wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Below is my config.scm: it has 60 lines (if the 61:1 refers to a line???)
>>
>> after: sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

>> /etc/config.scm:61:1: schließende Klammer fehlt  (in English closing
>> bracket is missing)
>>
>> I don`t know where is the missing bracket?
>
> You're missing 2 closing parentheses here:
>
>>    (services
>>      (append
>>        (list (service mate-desktop-service-type)
>>              (service enlightenment-desktop-service-type)
>>              (service cups-service-type
>>                  (cups-configuration
>>                      (web-interface? #t)
>>                      (extensions (list cups-filters hplip))))
>>              (service openssh-service-type)
>>              (service tor-service-type)
>>              (set-xorg-configuration
>>                (xorg-configuration
>>                  (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
>>        (modify-services %desktop-services
>>          (sane-service-type _ => sane-backends))
>
> One to close the "(append" and another one to close the "(services". We
> need these because otherwise Guile doesn't know where your _append_
> stops and where your _services_ stop. It will continue reading
> everything as if it's part of the "append", when it actually has to
> close inside of services.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> I hope you're able to get it working this time! :)
>
> SeerLite

Hi,
does it mean that I have to add to the last words "sane-backends"
instead of 2 brackets 4 brackets?
This is, what I understood.
gottfried

* Re: scanner
@ 2022-02-21 20:34 Jay Sulzberger
From: Jay Sulzberger @ 2022-02-21 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Dear Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>, I use an editor which allows me
to check whether a bit of text is a well formed sexp, that is, a well
formed Lisp expression.  I do not have Guile on the machine I am
writing this on, but I am writing using Emacs.

Here is a syntactically, well, at the level of sexps, well formed
version of your Guix expression:

(services
  (append
   (list (service mate-desktop-service-type)
         (service enlightenment-desktop-service-type)
         (service cups-service-type
                  (cups-configuration
                   (web-interface? #t)
                   (extensions (list cups-filters
                                     hplip))))
         (service openssh-service-type)
         (service tor-service-type)
         (set-xorg-configuration
          (xorg-configuration
           (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
   (modify-services %desktop-services
                    (sane-service-type _ => sane-backends))))

I got this by typing the following into an emacs buffer:

(services
  (append
    (list (service mate-desktop-service-type)
  (service enlightenment-desktop-service-type)
  (service cups-service-type
  (cups-configuration
  (web-interface? #t)
   (extensions (list cups-filters
  hplip))))
  (service openssh-service-type)
  (service tor-service-type)
  (set-xorg-configuration
   (xorg-configuration
   (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
   (modify-services %desktop-services
                    (sane-service-type _ => sane-backends))

which is, I think, the thing you sent to the help-guix list.

I then added a single parenthesis onto your expression and Emacs
showed me that the new right parenthesis matched the left parenthesis
on the second line of your expression.  That is, the left parenthesis
in

  (append

I then added one more right parenthesis, which Emacs showed me matched
the first left parenthesis of your whole expression.  That is, the
left parenthesis in

(services

Assuming Emacs is correct in matching parentheses, the result, as
shown at top, is a Lisply correct sexp.  But it may, or may not, be a
Guixly syntactically correct expression, because the Guix system may
have more constraints on what it accepts as a command, beyond the
constraint of being a proper sexp.

I remain, as ever, your fellow student of history and probability,
Jay Sulzberger

PS. I got the Lisp-traditional (well, a Lisp traditional) indentation
of the (text representation of) the first expression by asking Emacs
to perform:

indent-sexp

on an un-indented version.

PPS. Reading more carefully your post to help-guix, I now understand
that you already completely grasp the main meat of my note.  But as a
member in mostly good standing of the Emacs Tendency of the Front for
Free Software, I send this note.

* scanner
@ 2022-02-22 18:03 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-22 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
after adding 2 brackets at the end,

(services
   (append
    (list (service mate-desktop-service-type)
          (service enlightenment-desktop-service-type)
          (service cups-service-type
                   (cups-configuration
                    (web-interface? #t)
                    (extensions (list cups-filters
                                      hplip))))
          (service openssh-service-type)
          (service tor-service-type)
          (set-xorg-configuration
           (xorg-configuration
            (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
    (modify-services %desktop-services
                     (sane-service-type _ => sane-backends))))

and running:
sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

I still can´t use a scanner.  My 3 programs: hp device manager, scanner
and xsane don´t start. My system doesn´t find a scanner, even though I
connected and started my printer/scanner.

I don´t know where the problem is.

gottfried

* scanner
@ 2022-02-23 19:19 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-23 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

After installing a scanner in my profile

When opening my document scanner it says:
no scanner is found. Please check if your scanner is switched on and
attached.

If I open the xsane scanning programm it says: no devices available
even though I connected my hp printer and scanner and switched it on.

My hp device manager even does not open.

Can it mean that guix can't deal with a hp printer and scanner in one
and guix expects a separate scanner besides a printer (even if I
installed hplip)?

gottfried

* Scanner
@ 2022-02-25 13:51 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-02-25 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
I have on the same notebook guix and ubuntu installed.
In ubuntu you can scan. My simple scanning program finds the hp
printer/scanner and I can scan.

When starting guix, it says that free firmware is missing.
Can it be that the firmware is responsible for it, and that's why I guix
doesn't find my scanner?

gottfried

* Scanner
@ 2022-04-10 13:19 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-04-10 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
I could not install a Scanner in Guix, that's why I installed a second
Linux distro: GNUinOS on a second hard disk.

In GnuinOS my HP Printer was working, I could print, but I couldn't scan
in the beginning.

So I installed "hplip" and when in my applications the "hplip toolbox"
icon as a programm showed up, I opened it, and than I could install/add
a scanner, which is in my "HP Officejet all in one" included. Than I
could scan with my printer.

In Guix I installed hplip, but the application as an icon does not show
up. So I can't open it and may be install/add a scanner to it.

Does anybody have a HP all-in-one printer/scanner,and if it is working,
than he could show me his /etc/config.scm file how the printer is
installed, and I could do the same in my config.scm file, hoping it will
work.

Hopefully Guix developers include a Scanner in the next Version of Guix,
so that there is no hassle for newcomers.

best wishes

Gottfried

* Re: Scanner
@ 2022-04-12  0:23 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2022-04-12  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:19:27 +0000
Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> I could not install a Scanner in Guix, that's why I installed a
> second Linux distro: GNUinOS on a second hard disk.
>
> In GnuinOS my HP Printer was working, I could print, but I couldn't
> scan in the beginning.
>
> So I installed "hplip" and when in my applications the "hplip
> toolbox" icon as a programm showed up, I opened it, and than I could
> install/add a scanner, which is in my "HP Officejet all in one"
> included. Than I could scan with my printer.
>
> In Guix I installed hplip, but the application as an icon does not
> show up. So I can't open it and may be install/add a scanner to it.
>
> Does anybody have a HP all-in-one printer/scanner,and if it is
> working, than he could show me his /etc/config.scm file how the
> printer is installed, and I could do the same in my config.scm file,
> hoping it will work.
>
> Hopefully Guix developers include a Scanner in the next Version of
> Guix, so that there is no hassle for newcomers.
>
> best wishes
>
> Gottfried

Can't test with an HP one, but my Samsung scanner+printer Just Works TM
with Simple Scan, the GNOME scanner app.
Only minor hiccup is that if I plug it in after I start the app, it
doesn't show up and I have to restart the app. But that takes like 2
seconds so it's not a big deal.

* Scanner
@ 2022-10-01 13:17 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-10-01 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)