unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Can't create user account in virtual machine with guix system vm
@ 2022-03-07 10:47 Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2022-03-07 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

I have made a VM in which no user account seems to could created.

The standard command for that:

https://guix.gnu.org/fr/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html#Invoking-guix-system

$ guix system vm Test.scm --expose=$HOME --share=$HOME/tmp=/exchange

And the vm starts running, but no way to add an user account:

$ sudo /gnu/store/zrd2c9czm6fdqd33q7yx2695s2dgy9kl-run-vm.sh

At the graphical login I typed 'root' and validated. This opened me a privileged user session.

In the qemu console I typed: 'sendkey ctrl-alt-f1' [Enter]

In tty2 virtual console, I typed 'passwd' for root, validated and 'passwd hubert' confirming the password after typing it.

But when I return to the login, either as a guest user or as my username, the password does not succeed, returning me to the login.

The vm starts more correctly by adding the options

'-m 1024 -smp 2 -nic user,model=virtio-net-pci'

I can't remember why I needed to add these (familiar) options. Anyway, the following launchs the vm:

$ sudo /gnu/store/zrd2c9czm6fdqd33q7yx2695s2dgy9kl-run-vm.sh -m 1024 -smp 2 -nic user,model=virtio-net-pci

Here again, I can only connect in a graphical session with root.

Which doesn't surprise me too much, since the home directory is read-only.

I don't know if there are ways to solve this case... Give rights to home ?...

Thank you in advance if you have any suggestions for me :)

Hubert

* Re: Can't create user account in virtual machine with guix system vm
@ 2022-03-07 11:59 ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2022-03-07 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Hubert

Hi Hubert !
You have to edit your system definition to add a user.
Sharing some files, even your home directory, is not the way to create users.
Cheers
Jérémy

@ 2022-03-07 16:16   ` Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2022-03-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Jeremy!

Got it!

I suspected it was something like that, good to know, to have it confirmed.

Thanks again :)

HUbert