unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* WebRTC seems broken in IceCat
@ 2020-07-30 11:27 Tirifto
From: Tirifto @ 2020-07-30 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello!

I have installed IceCat with Guix on Parabola, but it seems like WebRTC
isn’t working for me. I’ve tried making a call with Riot & Jitsi Meet,
but haven’t succeeded with either. I also installed the Snowflake
extension by Tor Project (which should make use of WebRTC), and it
doesn’t seem to be doing anything, hence my impression.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I asked around on IRC but haven’t
been able to draw a conclusion. I just know it used to be working and
advertised as such.¹ It’s recently been enabled upstream, too,² so I
assume it’s supposed to work.

I’ve noticed the flag ‘--disable-webrtc’ included in the IceDove
package definition,³ which doesn’t seem like it should affect IceCat,
though, so I wonder if the problem’s with my setup.

For the record, ‘media.peerconnection.enabled’ is set to ‘true’ in
‘about:config’, and disabling my add-ons did not help. Any clues would
be much appreciated.

Best of wishes
// Tirifto

1. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2019-08/msg00005.html
2.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git/commit/?h=68&id=8f9f30e1e9cf2b411ce2747024d4f72edda86904
3.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/gnuzilla.scm#n1318

* Re: WebRTC seems broken in IceCat
@ 2020-07-30 20:50 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-07-30 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I personally use the nix service.  That lets me install firefox.  It is
currently only firefox 74, but jitsi works for me last I tried it.

Thanks,

Joshua

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: WebRTC seems broken in IceCat
@ 2020-08-03 13:56   ` Tirifto
From: Tirifto @ 2020-08-03 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Le Thu, 30 Jul 2020 16:50:39 -0400,
Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> a écrit :

> I personally use the nix service.  That lets me install firefox.  It
> is currently only firefox 74, but jitsi works for me last I tried it.

I can also use Firefox’s generic tarball as a last resort, but I’m much
more comfortable with IceCat, knowing it taks a more radical approach to
user freedom and privacy. Thanks for the tip, though!

> Thanks,
>
> Joshua

Best wishes
// Tirifto