unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Keyboard layout
@ 2016-04-10 14:38 Thierry Micoud
From: Thierry Micoud @ 2016-04-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I've installed guixsd 0.10. Its probably a rooky problem but seem unable to
solve it and I apologise! ;)
I'd like to change to keyboard layout from us to uk.

Ideally I'd like to set the keyboard layout in the config.scm file and
'guix system reconfigure'
Is this possible.?
I use DWM window manager and in my xsession file on other computer (running
voidlinux) I've a line with "setxkbmap gb” which does the job. Which
package does 'setxkbmap' belong to in guix, I can't seam to locate it. and
if does not exist what other tools are there

Many thanks
Thierry

* Re: Keyboard layout
@ 2016-04-10 20:01 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-10 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Micoud; +Cc: help-guix

Thierry Micoud (2016-04-10 17:38 +0300) wrote:

> I've installed guixsd 0.10. Its probably a rooky problem but seem
> unable to solve it and I apologise! ;)
> I'd like to change to keyboard layout from us to uk.
>
> Ideally I'd like to set the keyboard layout in the config.scm file
> and 'guix system reconfigure'
> Is this possible.?

I don't think so, you can use 'console-keymap-service' but it is for
console only (the same as you would use 'loadkeys' command)...
Or maybe you can by modifying xorg configuration file (see (info "(guix)
X Window") in the manual) and adding something like this to it:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier                  "Keyboard0"
    MatchIsKeyboard             "yes"
    MatchDevicePath             "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver                      "evdev"
    Option "XkbLayout"          "gb,us"
EndSection

But it is more simple just to use setxkbmap as you did on other distro.

> I use DWM window manager and in my xsession file on other computer
> (running voidlinux) I've a line with "setxkbmap gb” which does the
> job. Which package does 'setxkbmap' belong to in guix, I can't seam
> to locate it. and if does not exist what other tools are there

setxkbmap is in the 'setxkbmap' package, so after "guix package -i
setxkbmap", I think you can just add "setxkbmap gb" to "~/.xsession"
file (I'm not sure as I've never used this method).

--
Alex

* keyboard layout
@ 2020-03-19 12:52 Adam Kandur via
From: Adam Kandur via @ 2020-03-19 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hi guixers! i have a question. Sometimes i need to switch keyboard layout for writing messages. Currently i'm using this command
setxkbmap -layout 'us,ru' -option 'grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll'

How i can do something similar with config.scm definition?

* Re: keyboard layout
@ 2020-03-20  8:51 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-20  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kandur, Help Guix

Hi!

If you want to set the keyboard layout system-wide, see
"System Configuration -> Keyboard Layout".

For a user session, you can use your desktop manager tools or setxkbmap.

If you want a shepherd user service, I use this one:

(define setxkbmap
  (make <service>
    #:docstring "Set keymap for X."
    #:provides '(setxkbmap)
    #:start (make-system-constructor
             (string-join '("setxkbmap"
                            "-layout" "us"
                            "-variant" "altgr-intl"
                            "-option" "ctrl:swapcaps,nodeadkeys,nbsp:level3")))
    #:one-shot? #t))

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: keyboard layout
@ 2020-03-20 14:10   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-03-20 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi Adam and Pierre,

There are several services which take a keyboard-layout. Also, there is a keyboard layout field in the operating-system that designates the keyboard layout done by loadkeys. I’m a keyboard enthusiast and the first-class support of bindings is one of my favorite things about guix.  See the docs for more: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Keyboard-Layout.html

Good luck,

John

* Re: keyboard layout
@ 2020-04-07 10:54 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2020-04-07 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kandur; +Cc: Help Guix

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 01:52:28PM +0100, Adam Kandur via wrote:

> Hi guixers! i have a question. Sometimes i need to switch keyboard layout for writing messages. Currently i'm using this command
> setxkbmap -layout 'us,ru' -option 'grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll'
>
> How i can do something similar with config.scm definition?

Ludo fixed support for such layouts last week with commit
2729cb406d9f3e9eb22cc660f887138134edb3a8.  He added an example to the
manual:

;; Arabic layout with "Alt-Shift" to switch to US layout.
(keyboard-layout "ar,us" #:options '("grp:alt_shift_toggle"))

Regards,
Florian