unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Scheduling and getting notifications in a desktop or window manager environment
@ 2020-03-13 22:57 sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-03-13 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Help

Hello,

I was wondering if you could share the software you use to schedule events (e.g. meetings, special dates, taking pills, etc.) and get notified about them in the form of desktop notifications or something like that.

I tried GNOME Calendar some time ago in the Guix System, I liked its simplicity, but it was not reliable (notified sometimes, sometimes not).

Thanks,

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: Scheduling and getting notifications in a desktop or window manager environment
@ 2020-03-17  7:32 ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2020-03-17  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil, Guix Help

Hello,

I've no direct experience with desktop notifications but...

sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

[...]

> I tried GNOME Calendar some time ago in the Guix System, I liked its
> simplicity, but it was not reliable (notified sometimes, sometimes
> not).

What about orage? I tried that once and *maybe* it has a notification
system.

I use radicale as my CalDAV/CardDAV server with vdirsyncer [1] on my GNU
machines to keep events and contacts in sync (with DAVx5 on Android)...

...but orage can be used also standalone

[...]

HTH! Gio'

[1] I'm a little bit worried on its future https://github.com/pimutils/vdirsyncer/issues/790

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Scheduling and getting notifications in a desktop or window manager environment
@ 2020-03-17 15:54   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-03-17 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo; +Cc: Guix Help

Hi,

 ---- On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 02:32:42 -0500 Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote ----
 > Hello,
 >
 > I've no direct experience with desktop notifications but...
 >
 > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > > I tried GNOME Calendar some time ago in the Guix System, I liked its
 > > simplicity, but it was not reliable (notified sometimes, sometimes
 > > not).
 >
 > What about orage? I tried that once and *maybe* it has a notification
 > system.

I didn't know about it, installed it tried out with Xfce, but it's buggy too. For example:

* When adding a new event, the program crashes if you press the UTC button to select your time zone (which the program doesn't figure out by itself).
* I didn't get notified when I added an event with an alarm.

 > I use radicale as my CalDAV/CardDAV server with vdirsyncer [1] on my GNU
 > machines to keep events and contacts in sync (with DAVx5 on Android)...

Yeah I'm looking for desktop solutions. I don't have the resources to selfhost apps or services.

I'm considering using a wristwatch for all my computing again. The desktop seems death :)

Thanks, Giovanni.

* Re: Scheduling and getting notifications in a desktop or window manager environment
@ 2020-03-17 17:53   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-03-17 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo; +Cc: Guix Help

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 08:32:42AM +0100, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> [1] I'm a little bit worried on its future https://github.com/pimutils/vdirsyncer/issues/790

Sad but not suprising considering it's Debian. I went out of my way to
communicate with the vdirsyncer project and keep the burden from falling
on them but it seemed unusual.