unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Package Install Question for New User
@ 2018-11-05 16:33 Brian Woodcox
From: Brian Woodcox @ 2018-11-05 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

So I now have GuixSD installed and operational.  Well sort of, I would like to install some packages.

I am seeing a lot of information on the web (including videos) and old information about installing packages and the .guix-profile.

Let’s say I’m logged in as user noobie.

I then trying to install a package from the terminal.  How about icecat.  So I issue the command to install that.

All of a sudden the system is downloading and compiling a pile of packages that were already installed as root.

Is there a way to have guix use the packages that were installed in the root account instead of downloading and rebuilding gcc, etc?

Or does the shared package only work between users and not users and root?

* Re: Package Install Question for New User
@ 2018-11-05 17:36 ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-11-05 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 05/11/2018 17.33, Brian Woodcox wrote:
> I then trying to install a package from the terminal.  How about
> icecat.  So I issue the command to install that.
>
> All of a sudden the system is downloading and compiling a pile of
> packages that were already installed as root.

There is a single system-wide store for derivations at /gnu/store. The
derivations are installed packages plus dependencies and removed
packages that haven't been garbage-collected, yet.

If a package is already in the store, installing it for a specific user
should only require symlinks to be added, as far as I understand. Unless
a dependency is missing.

For example, I have "gimp" in my profile, pointing to an item in the store:

---
~: which gimp
/home/thorwil/.guix-profile/bin/gimp
~: ls -l /home/thorwil/.guix-profile/bin/gimp
lrwxrwxrwx 2 root root 64 Jan  1  1970
/home/thorwil/.guix-profile/bin/gimp ->
/gnu/store/wzp4ci2myckcg9qjqgm84rzv23snyz4d-gimp-2.10.6/bin/gimp
---

Thus it seems you misinterpreted some output (or there is a bug).

The results of guix working through the entire dependency chain for
build, installation and runtime of a package can be rather surprising.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: Package Install Question for New User
@ 2018-11-05 18:01 ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-05 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Woodcox; +Cc: help-guix