unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix system reconfigure compiles everything too long
@ 2018-09-20  6:31 znavko
From: znavko @ 2018-09-20  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Hello! I have been running `guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm` before, and it finished after 1 or 2 hours. Now it is working more than 6 hours on Lenovo G50-30. It compiles everything
http://0x0.st/sxda.png http://0x0.st/sxnm.png even icecat http://0x0.st/sx51.png I want it uses binaries, do not need to compile sources. Cannot understand, why adding (packages (cons* icecat)) produces compilation process of icecat?
Please, what is wrong?

My current /etc/config.scm is this:
# cat /etc/config.scm
;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss)
             (gnu packages lxde)
             (gnu packages gnuzilla)
             (gnu packages image-viewers)
             (gnu packages curl)
             (gnu packages wget)
             (gnu packages compression)
)
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(operating-system
  (host-name "antelope")
  (timezone "Europe/Moscow")
  (locale "en_US.utf8")

  ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
  ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "/dev/sda1")
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        )
                      %base-file-systems))

  (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))

  (users (cons* (user-account
                (name "bob")
                (comment "bob is good too")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/bob"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   lxde lxde-common lxde-icon-theme
                    lxpanel lxmenu-data lxinput lxsession
                   pcmanfm
                   gedit file-roller evince gpicview
                   icecat
                   curl wget unzip
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
  ;; NetworkManager, and more.
  (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
                   %desktop-services))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

And my old config was this:
# cat /root/config.scm
[...]

Why new config takes so much time? And after new system reconfiguration I have KDE and Gnome. But I need only LXDE and Xfce.

* Re: guix system reconfigure compiles everything too long
@ 2018-09-20  8:30 ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2018-09-20  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi—

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 06:31:27 +0000 znavko wrote:
> Hello! I have been running `guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm`
> before, and it finished after 1 or 2 hours. Now it is working more
> than 6 hours on Lenovo G50-30. It compiles everything
> http://0x0.st/sxda.png http://0x0.st/sxnm.png even icecat
> http://0x0.st/sx51.png I want it uses binaries, do not need to
> compile sources. Cannot understand, why adding (packages (cons*
> icecat)) produces compilation process of icecat? Please, what is
> wrong?

I could imagine that there is nothing wrong with your system
configuration but that the build servers have not build the latest
versions of the packages yet.

My experience is very mixed in how much needs to be compiled when doing
a system upgrade.  In the future I'd like to use a central build server
in my local network (and then I'd probably mount /store over NFS).

—Marco

* Re: guix system reconfigure compiles everything too long
@ 2018-09-20  9:14   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-09-20  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

I've had a good experience with the following practice: wait for about 1 day
after a guix pull before running `guix package -u` or `guix system reconfigure`.

Hopefully this will be no longer an issue once a stable channel has been set up.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix system reconfigure compiles everything too long
@ 2018-09-20 10:45   ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2018-09-20 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

It compiles kernel too, while I just want to add LXDE.
The manual contains lot of guix features but just a few words about `guix system reconfigure`. I think there could be options for speed up this process, such as just add service without compilation of that you had before.
`guix pull ` takes not much time with my "clean" config. I cannot use (packages (cons* lxde)) and other additions to config.scm until I know how configure DE without recompile everything. I would better try install manually.
I understand now that developer has described all guix features one by one, but has not presented it by system approach. Luckily I have found this https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/ . But where find powerful pc?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

@ 2018-09-23 16:20 ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-09-23 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi,

two comments inlined.

znavko transcribed 21K bytes:
> Hello! I have been running `guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm` before, and it finished after 1 or 2 hours. Now it is working more than 6 hours on Lenovo G50-30. It compiles everything
> http://0x0.st/sxda.png http://0x0.st/sxnm.png even icecat http://0x0.st/sx51.png I want it uses binaries, do not need to compile sources. Cannot understand, why adding (packages (cons* icecat)) produces compilation process of icecat?
> Please, what is wrong?
>
> My current /etc/config.scm is this:
> # cat /etc/config.scm
> ;; This is an operating system configuration template
> ;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
> ;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.
>
> (use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss)
>              (gnu packages lxde)
>              (gnu packages gnuzilla)
>              (gnu packages image-viewers)
>              (gnu packages curl)
>              (gnu packages wget)
>              (gnu packages compression)
> )
> (use-service-modules desktop)
> (use-package-modules certs gnome)
>
> (operating-system
>   (host-name "antelope")
>   (timezone "Europe/Moscow")
>   (locale "en_US.utf8")
>
>   ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
>   ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
>   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>                 (target "/dev/sda")))
>
>   (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "/dev/sda1")
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4")
>                         )
>                       %base-file-systems))
>
>   (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))
>
>   (users (cons* (user-account
>                 (name "bob")
>                 (comment "bob is good too")
>                 (group "users")
>                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
>                                         "audio" "video"))
>                 (home-directory "/home/bob"))
>                %base-user-accounts))
>
>   ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
>   (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
>                    gvfs              ;for user mounts
>                    lxde lxde-common lxde-icon-theme
                     ^
                     lxde is already a package containing all of the
                     other lx* lxde* packages (+ pcmanfm etc) you list
                     below and above. If there is something I forgot
                     to include in lxde, which is already present in
                     the lxde module, that's a bug. Otherwise, you can
                     reduce this list already.

>                     lxpanel lxmenu-data lxinput lxsession
>                    pcmanfm
>                    gedit file-roller evince gpicview
>                    icecat
                     is there a reason why you put icecat in a system
                     profile instead of a user profile? Usually it is
                     better to have this in your user profile, unless
                     you want to have all system users to have access
                     to it (instead of installation per user).

>                    curl wget unzip
>                    %base-packages))
>
>   ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
>   ;; NetworkManager, and more.
>   (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
>                    %desktop-services))
>
>   ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
>   (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))
>
> And my old config was this:
> # cat /root/config.scm
> ;; This is an operating system configuration template
> ;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
> ;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.
>
> (use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
> (use-service-modules desktop)
> (use-package-modules certs gnome)
>
> (operating-system
>   (host-name "antelope")
>   (timezone "Europe/Moscow")
>   (locale "en_US.utf8")
>
>   ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
>   ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
>   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>                 (target "/dev/sda")))
>
>   (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "/dev/sda1")
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4")
>                         )
>                       %base-file-systems))
>
>   (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))
>
>   (users (cons* (user-account
>                 (name "bob")
>                 (comment "bob is good too")
>                 (group "users")
>                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
>                                         "audio" "video"))
>                 (home-directory "/home/bob"))
>                %base-user-accounts))
>
>   ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
>   (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
>                    gvfs              ;for user mounts
>                    %base-packages))
>
>   ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
>   ;; NetworkManager, and more.
>   (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
>                    %desktop-services))
>
>   ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
>   (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))
>
> Why new config takes so much time? And after new system reconfiguration I have KDE and Gnome. But I need only LXDE and Xfce.

I doubt you have KDE, we don't even have KDE Plasma packaged as a
service or package (unless that changed recently..).