unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How do I remove profiles?
@ 2020-02-05  0:00 sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Help

Hi,

I've been playing with profiles after reading the "Guix Profiles in Practice" recipe¹ and created some that I don't really need. What would be the appropriate way to remove them so that nothing related to them is left around?

For example, I have:

$ guix package --list-profiles
/home/sirgazil/.devenvs/my-project/my-project
/home/sirgazil/.devenvs/project-a/project-a
/home/sirgazil/.config/guix/current
/home/sirgazil/.guix-profile

Would just deleting the directories of "my-project" and "project-a" profiles suffice?

Thanks,

1. https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Guix-Profiles-in-Practice.html#Guix-Profiles-in-Practice

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: How do I remove profiles?
@ 2020-02-05  9:05 ` mlell
From: mlell @ 2020-02-05  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: Help-Guix, Guix Help

Hi!

guix gc is responsible for removing unneeded packages. From
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-gc.html:

> The garbage collector has a set of known roots: any file under
> /gnu/store reachable from a
> root is considered live and cannot be deleted; any other file is
> considered dead and may
> be deleted.  ... the symlinks under /var/guix/gcroots represent these
> GC roots.

My own experience is that guix gc reports and removes dead symlinks in
this directory. So I
guess just remove the symlinks you listed:

> $ guix package --list-profiles
> /home/sirgazil/.devenvs/my-project/my-project
> /home/sirgazil/.devenvs/project-a/project-a
> /home/sirgazil/.config/guix/current
> /home/sirgazil/.guix-profile

and then call guix gc.

Cheers,
Moritz

* Re: How do I remove profiles?
@ 2020-02-05 13:04   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-02-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlell; +Cc: Guix Help, Help-Guix

 ---- On Wed, 05 Feb 2020 04:05:44 -0500  <mlell@posteo.de> wrote ----
 > Hi!
 >
 > guix gc is responsible for removing unneeded packages. From
 > https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-gc.html:
 >
 > > The garbage collector has a set of known roots: any file under
 > > /gnu/store reachable from a
 > > root is considered live and cannot be deleted; any other file is
 > > considered dead and may
 > > be deleted.  ... the symlinks under /var/guix/gcroots represent these
 > > GC roots.
 >
 > My own experience is that guix gc reports and removes dead symlinks in
 > this directory. So I
 > guess just remove the symlinks you listed:
 >

 > > $ guix package --list-profiles
 > > /home/sirgazil/.devenvs/my-project/my-project
 > > /home/sirgazil/.devenvs/project-a/project-a
 > > /home/sirgazil/.config/guix/current
 > > /home/sirgazil/.guix-profile
 > >

 > and then call guix gc.

Thank you, Moritz. I'll do that then.