unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* locales do not work
@ 2022-10-03 17:01 two
From: two @ 2022-10-03 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

hi gnu!
i am using guix on debian (installed with the installer from apt)
the trouble is that some programs don't translate or can't handle filenames containing unicode and guix prints this warning:
>hint: Consider installing the `glibc-locales' package and defining
>`GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
>     guix install glibc-locales
>     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

even thought i have installed this (and added the letter line to my .profile) the problem persists.
$GUIX_LOCPATH is indeed accessible:
>$ ls $GUIX_LOCPATH/2.33/$LANG/
>LC_ADDRESS  LC_IDENTIFICATION  LC_MONETARY  LC_PAPER
>LC_COLLATE  LC_MEASUREMENT     LC_NAME      LC_TELEPHONE
>LC_CTYPE    LC_MESSAGES        LC_NUMERIC   LC_TIME
>$

* Re: locales do not work
       [not found] <166481651024.1114520.12373330184546394044@mail.envs.net>
@ 2022-10-03 17:04 ` two
From: two @ 2022-10-03 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: two; +Cc: help-guix

*though
*latter

sorry for my bad english! please tell me if you know how to make epiphany use the english dictionary for checking spelling in addition to the native one

* Re: locales do not work
@ 2022-10-03 20:43 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-10-03 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: two; +Cc: help-guix

two@envs.net writes:

> i am using guix on debian (installed with the installer from apt)
> the trouble is that some programs don't translate or can't handle filenames containing unicode and guix prints this warning:
>>hint: Consider installing the `glibc-locales' package and defining
>>`GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
>>     guix install glibc-locales
>>     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
>
> even thought i have installed this (and added the letter line to my .profile) the problem persists.
> $GUIX_LOCPATH is indeed accessible:
>>$ ls $GUIX_LOCPATH/2.33/$LANG/

Are the programs in question linked with glibc 2.33 or have they been
installed with an old version of Guix that came with an earlier version?

What’s your locale?

--
Ricardo

* Re: locales do not work
@ 2022-10-03 20:58   ` two
From: two @ 2022-10-03 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: help-guix

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>two@envs.net writes:
>
>&gt; i am using guix on debian (installed with the installer from apt)
>&gt; the trouble is that some programs don&#x27;t translate or can&#x27;t handle filenames containing unicode and guix prints this warning:
>&gt;&gt;hint: Consider installing the `glibc-locales&#x27; package and defining
>&gt;&gt;`GUIX_LOCPATH&#x27;, along these lines:
>&gt;&gt;     guix install glibc-locales
>&gt;&gt;     export GUIX_LOCPATH=&quot;$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale&quot;
>&gt;
>&gt; even thought i have installed this (and added the letter line to my .profile) the problem persists.
>&gt; $GUIX_LOCPATH is indeed accessible:
>&gt;&gt;$ ls $GUIX_LOCPATH/2.33/$LANG/
>
>Are the programs in question linked with glibc 2.33 or have they been
>installed with an old version of Guix that came with an earlier version?
>
>What’s your locale?
>
>--
>Ricardo

they are either invoked from guix shell or updated with guix upgrade.
my locale is uk_UA.UTF-8
thank you in advance!