unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* 2 Profiles with 2 different version of Musescore
@ 2023-04-28 15:07 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-04-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Castillo, help-guix, Wojtek Kosior

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 319 bytes --]

Hi,

I have 2 profiles, one with Musescore 3.6.2, the other with Musescore
4.02 (the last version, ongoing).
When I enter "mscore" in the terminal it opens the version 3.6.2, which
I want.

But what do I have to enter in the terminal to get the new version of
Musescore?

--
Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: 2 Profiles with 2 different version of Musescore
@ 2023-04-29 13:48 ` Martin Castillo
From: Martin Castillo @ 2023-04-29 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-guix, Wojtek Kosior

Am 28.04.23 um 17:07 schrieb Gottfried:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 profiles, one with Musescore 3.6.2, the other with Musescore
> 4.02 (the last version, ongoing).
> When I enter "mscore" in the terminal it opens the version 3.6.2, which
> I want.
>
> But what do I have to enter in the terminal to get the new version of
> Musescore?

You need to write down the absolute path to the musescore 4 executable.
Something like

/home/gfp/Projekte/pfad/zum/profil/mit/musescore4/bin/mscore

should work.

As a shorthand you could add an alias like this

alias mscore4="/home/gfp/Projekte/pfad/zum/profil/mit/musescore4/bin/mscore"

to .bash_aliases (if it is being 'source'd by bashrc) or.bashrc otherwise.

(Put everything in one line. My mailclient automatically wraps long
lines even if it should not do so in this case.)

when you restart your shell (or type `source ~/.bashrc`) then
mscore4
should execute musescore 4.

* Re: 2 Profiles with 2 different version of Musescore
@ 2023-04-29 16:18   ` Skyler
From: Skyler @ 2023-04-29 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Castillo; +Cc: Gottfried, help-guix, Wojtek Kosior

In order to avoid manually updating the alias each time the package is upgraded, you can use a declaration in guix home:

(home-environemnt
  (services (list
    (service home-bash-service-type
      (home-bash-configuration (guix-defaults? #t)
                               (aliases `(("mscore4" . ,(file-append musescore "/bin/mscore")))))))))

If you do not wish to use guix home, you could also use the extra-special-file service in your system configuration:

(extra-special-file "/usr/bin/mscore4" (file-append musescore "/bin/mscore"))

Just make sure /usr/bin is in your $PATH.

* Re: 2 Profiles with 2 different version of Musescore
@ 2023-04-29 21:25     ` Martin Castillo
From: Martin Castillo @ 2023-04-29 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skyler; +Cc: Gottfried, help-guix, Wojtek Kosior

Am 29. April 2023 18:18:26 MESZ schrieb Skyler <skyvine@protonmail.com>:
>In order to avoid manually updating the alias each time the package is upgraded, you can use a declaration in guix home:
>
>(home-environemnt
>  (services (list
>    (service home-bash-service-type
>      (home-bash-configuration (guix-defaults? #t)
>                               (aliases `(("mscore4" . ,(file-append musescore "/bin/mscore")))))))))
>
>If you do not wish to use guix home, you could also use the extra-special-file service in your system configuration:
>
>(extra-special-file "/usr/bin/mscore4" (file-append musescore "/bin/mscore"))
>
>Just make sure /usr/bin is in your $PATH.

My suggestion always points to the current version of the respective profile. I did not point to the store entry of musescore.

* Re: 2 Profiles with 2 different version of Musescore
@ 2023-05-01 10:16   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-05-01 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Castillo, help-guix