unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>
To: Kyle <kyle@posteo.net>,
	help-guix@gnu.org, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: how can I find the terminal output
Date: Mon,  9 May 2022 16:21:22 +0000	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2986 bytes --]

Dear Guixers,

thank you very much for your patience and infos, Simon and Kyle,

now I understand how script works and I can use it.
Thanks also for mentioning tealdeer.That's great, exactly what I need,
examples of usage.

I still have trouble to understand the man pages. I am not a hacker or
programmer and am not using the commandline on a daily basis. So I am
still "hacking" on the basis. I am not used to understanding the
programmers language yet. I am learning day by day.

Gottfried

Am 09.05.22 um 13:42 schrieb Kyle:
> I have never used the command script, but I thought you might benefit from installing the tldr utility: whose name is short for "too long didn't read" It gives examples instead of all the unwanted details that man pages throw at you first even though they don't make a lick of sense without the right background knowledge and perspective. There are many implementations, but I like tealdeer.
>
>    guix install tealdeer
>
> Then type:
>
>    tldr script
>
> That produces a few examples for me.
>

> On May 7, 2022 11:42:28 AM EDT, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, 06 May 2022 at 20:18, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
>>
>>> How do I have to use "script"?
>>
>> Only you can answer. ;-)  The question is: what is your needs?  Do you
>> need to record and track the output for each command?
>>
>> Personally, I only do that for the very rare cases when I am demoing.
>> Otherwise, I only redirect the output of a command to a file using ’>’.
>>

>>> Do I have to enter "script" in the terminal before I start other
>>> commands, so that it will start to log my shell?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> or can I, after a command with output, enter "script" and it will log my
>>> output in a file typescript?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> However, you can redo the same command to append the output to a
>> previous ’typescript’.  For instance, in your terminal:
>>
>>         ls
>>         script
>>         ls
>>         exit
>>         pwd
>>         script -a
>>         cd /tmp/
>>         ls
>>         pwd
>>         exit
>>
>> Then the file ’typescript’ contains the session (input and output)
>> between ’script’ and ’exit’ (included).  Therefore, the first ’pwd’ will
>> be not recorded.
>>

>>> I tried several times, but it didn't work. It didn't record anything,
>>> when I opened the file typescript.
>>>
>>> So can you show me an example how to use it?
>>> What Options are useful?
>>
>> Well, have you read the manpage of ’script’?  Type ’man script’.
>>

>> Hope that helps,
>> simon

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.