unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Fwd: Help-Guix Digest, Vol 88, Issue 4
       [not found] <7dc993bb-77e4-c204-2e92-bc7dbdfed14e@posteo.de>
@ 2023-03-25 12:43 ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-03-25 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4748 bytes --]

Betreff: Re: Help-Guix Digest, Vol 88, Issue 4
Datum: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:45:16 +0100
Von: Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>
An: Gary Johnson <lambdatronic@disroot.org>

Hi,

thanks a lot for your help.

1.
did you create your system configuration quite in the beginning after
having installed Guix?

2.
Because later, like in my case, it takes much more work to adjust
everything.

3.
> Note that this may
>> lead to unpredictable behavior if you have the same package installed
>> into multiple profiles that are all activated simultaneously.

Would there be a problem
in having musescore-3.6.2 in one profile (a distinct version of musescore)
and musescore 4 (the ongoing updating) in an other profile?

4.

Have I understood you correctly that you install only one package in one
manifest and additionally only one package in one profile?

4.
If so, you have at least 50 profiles and 20 manifests I guess.

5.
In my case I would have to uninstall every package I have installed,
except the global packages, system services etc. that Guix installed
when I installed Guix System.

6.
After that I would have to create guix home

7.
In guix home I would have to install the local packages for $USER,
which I even don’t know yet, which belong to them.

8.
I would have to install local packages for $USER, manifests in each
profile, which I have deleted im my general profile.

9.
Would it then not be easier to reinstall Guix
and I have then got only the system packages in my system configuration,
and I can install guix home
and later manifests like emacs packages
or each single packages each in a separate profile?

Or can I now also do this step by step, which would be probably easier
for me, because if something goes wrong or I need to ask I still have
Guix System installed?

10.
For you it would be possible everything in one day,
for me I am not sure, how long does it take,
and that only with the help of Guix hackers.

Kind regards

Gottfried