unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* no code for module (ice-9 readline) running guile
@ 2019-01-10 16:30 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-01-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello all,

I have an issue running guile from command line, namely "no code for module
(ice-9 readline). I'm pretty sure the load path is correct in my profile
and I haven't touched ~/.guile.  Any clues on what to do?

Thanks,

John

* Re: no code for module (ice-9 readline) running guile
@ 2019-01-10 18:56 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-01-10 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

could you could try installing the guile-readline package, or create
an evironment with it, like guix environment --ad-hoc guile-readline

John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jan. 10., Cs, 17:30):

> Hello all,
>
> I have an issue running guile from command line, namely "no code for module (ice-9 readline). I'm pretty sure the load path is correct in my profile and I haven't touched ~/.guile.  Any clues on what to do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: no code for module (ice-9 readline) running guile
@ 2019-01-10 19:23   ` david.larsson
From: david.larsson @ 2019-01-10 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, Gábor Boskovits wrote:

> Hello,
>
> could you could try installing the guile-readline package, or create
> an evironment with it, like guix environment --ad-hoc guile-readline
>
> John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jan. 10., Cs, 17:30):
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have an issue running guile from command line, namely "no code for module (ice-9 readline). I'm pretty sure the load path is correct in my profile and I haven't touched ~/.guile.  Any clues on what to do?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor

Hi,
I don't have a good fix, but a couple suggestions for a workaround.

1. To verify paths you can check 'echo $GUILE_LOAD_PATH' and 'echo
$GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH' from cli, and from guile REPL you can check
for example (display %load-path). If necessary you can add a statement
in bash like:

   export GUILE_LOAD_PATH="/root/.guix-profile/include${GUILE_LOAD_PATH:+:}$GUILE_LOAD_PATH

and rerun your script.

2. Secondly, you can look up the guile install directory, to check for
the folder where you can find the ice-9 directory. If the ice-9 dir is
located in ~/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0 and there's a readline
file inside, you can start guile with guile -L
~/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0 myscript.scm.

Im also having issues with guile when running guix as a stand-alone
package manager while it works fine with GuixSD but that's possibly
unrelated.

Regards,
David L

* Re: no code for module (ice-9 readline) running guile
@ 2019-01-10 19:28   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-01-10 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: help-guix

Hi and thanks,

That’s gotta be it. I’ll try it tonight. Was that originally in a system profile and got removed?

- John

@ 2019-01-10 19:33     ` david.larsson
From: david.larsson @ 2019-01-10 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.larsson; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, david.larsson@selfhosted.xyz wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> could you could try installing the guile-readline package, or create
>> an evironment with it, like guix environment --ad-hoc guile-readline
>>
>> John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jan. 10., Cs, 17:30):
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have an issue running guile from command line, namely "no code for
>>> module (ice-9 readline). I'm pretty sure the load path is correct in my
>>> profile and I haven't touched ~/.guile.  Any clues on what to do?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Best regards,
>> g_bor
>>

> Hi,
> I don't have a good fix, but a couple suggestions for a workaround.
>
> 1. To verify paths you can check 'echo $GUILE_LOAD_PATH' and 'echo
> $GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH' from cli, and from guile REPL you can check
> for example (display %load-path). If necessary you can add a statement
> in bash like:
>
>  export
> GUILE_LOAD_PATH="/root/.guix-profile/include${GUILE_LOAD_PATH:+:}$GUILE_LOAD_PATH
sorry, that line should have been:

   export GUILE_LOAD_PATH="~/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0${GUILE_LOAD_PATH:+:}$GUILE_LOAD_PATH"

or whatever your correct path is to the ice-9 dir.

@ 2019-01-11  4:56       ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-01-11  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.larsson; +Cc: help-guix

That did it. Thanks! It looks like it was no longer in the system profile and ~/.guile was a stale generated version. Is there a chance that happened to others?