unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* binfmt_misc
       [not found] <87msrh2glr.fsf@qq.com>
@ 2024-03-02  7:56 ` Z572
From: Z572 @ 2024-03-02  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

hello!

see
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=21ca59b365c0

linux 6.7 support use binfmt_misc to add new binary formats within
unprivileged namespaces,
I think this improves guix reproducibility and also avoids leakage of
the host's binfmt into the compilation environment, improves the
cross-compilation environment, and potentially unlocks more features,
such as not having to system-configure qemu-binfmt, running x86-64
software on a riscv64 machine using `guix pack', guix shell -C -s
riscv64-linux, etc.

* Re: binfmt_misc
@ 2024-03-17 17:31   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-03-17 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Z572; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Z572 <873216071@qq.com> skribis:

> see
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=21ca59b365c0
>
> linux 6.7 support use binfmt_misc to add new binary formats within
> unprivileged namespaces,
> I think this improves guix reproducibility and also avoids leakage of
> the host's binfmt into the compilation environment, improves the
> cross-compilation environment, and potentially unlocks more features,
> such as not having to system-configure qemu-binfmt, running x86-64
> software on a riscv64 machine using `guix pack', guix shell -C -s
> riscv64-linux, etc.

Interesting.  Avoiding leakage looks like the main benefit to me
(currently, one has to ‘herd stop qemu-binfmt‘ to ensure there’s no
leakage).

I’m not sure how it helps with the features you mention, though?

Thanks for the heads-up,
Ludo’.