unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* CPAN recursive importer?
@ 2016-07-19 20:37 Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2016-07-19 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

is there a recursive importer for CPAN that outputs all the 'define-public I'd need to add to perl.scm ? I'm trying to package spamassassin and it needs a *lot* of perl packages we don't have yet.

* Re: CPAN recursive importer?
@ 2016-07-19 21:55 ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2016-07-19 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

On 2016-07-19 15:37, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a recursive importer for CPAN that outputs all the
> 'define-public I'd need to add to perl.scm ? I'm trying to package
> spamassassin and it needs a *lot* of perl packages we don't have yet.

No.  The CPAN importer hasn't been extended with recursive import.
Rekado is currently working on recursive import for CRAN that will
hopefully generalize to other importers.

How many is a "lot" in this case?

--
`~Eric

* Re: CPAN recursive importer?
@ 2016-07-19 21:59 Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2016-07-19 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

On 19 Jul 2016 22:37, Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there a recursive importer for CPAN that outputs all the 'define-public I'd need to add to perl.scm ? I'm trying to package spamassassin and it needs a *lot* of perl packages we don't have yet.

To the best of my knowledge there is no such recursive importer yet. I was hoping to put some love into the cpan importer, but unfortunately a tumble from a bike has meant I need to take some distance from programming for a while :(

For a different package I've been working on that had a great number of perl dependencies (still submitting patches) I've done the groundwork manually. Tedious, but quite quick once you get down to it...

Good luck!

Alex

* Re: CPAN recursive importer?
@ 2016-07-19 23:31   ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2016-07-19 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel

> How many is a "lot" in this case?

17 new ones so far. Many of them have dependencies in turn [many of the dependencies seem to already be in Guix]. I'm not sure how many there will end up being.

+(define-public perl-db_file
+(define-public perl-net-dns
+(define-public perl-netaddr-ip
+(define-public perl-mail-spf
+(define-public perl-geo-ip
+(define-public perl-net-cidr-lite
+(define-public perl-io-socket-inet6
+(define-public perl-encode-detect
+(define-public perl-net-patricia
+(define-public perl-net-dns-resolver-programmable
+(define-public perl-socket6
+(define-public perl-mailtools
+(define-public perl-mail-dkim
+(define-public perl-crypt-openssl-bignum
+(define-public perl-crypt-openssl-random
+(define-public perl-crypt-openssl-rsa
+(define-public spamassassin

* Re: CPAN recursive importer?
@ 2016-07-20 10:03   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-07-20 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

Eric Bavier <ericbavier@openmailbox.org> writes:

> On 2016-07-19 15:37, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a recursive importer for CPAN that outputs all the
>> 'define-public I'd need to add to perl.scm ? I'm trying to package
>> spamassassin and it needs a *lot* of perl packages we don't have yet.
>
> No.  The CPAN importer hasn't been extended with recursive import.
> Rekado is currently working on recursive import for CRAN that will
> hopefully generalize to other importers.

I have a recursive CRAN importer here, but it doesn’t take many changes
to make this recursive importer generic, so that all importers can
benefit from it.

I have been meaning to continue working on this, but sadly I haven’t
found much time for the past weeks.  I’ll try to send new patches this
week, before my vacation.

~~ Ricardo