unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Idea: guix printer configuration generation
@ 2019-01-16 14:35 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-01-16 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi

I would rather not have to learn the CUPS web interface just to
configure my printer. Do we have a way to do this yet from config.scm? I
think we should abstract away everything CUPS.

Maybe we could make a guix printer importer?

The idea is to extract information about the printer via Guile and print
what the user need to add to the config.scm.

Something like this:
$ guix printer

"Found 1 USB printer: HP DeskJet 4330
(cups-configuration
 (printer
   (name "HP DeskJet 4330"
   (connection "usb://34234556"
   (settings
     (paper "a4"
     (source "default"
     ..."

When the user adds this to their config.scm and reconfigures the printer
JUST WORKS.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers