unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* TIP: untar binary install tarball using option `--warning=no-timestamp`
@ 2015-07-22 18:37 Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2015-07-22 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Guix-devel'

Doing so avoids boatloads of warnings

* Re: TIP: untar binary install tarball using option `--warning=no-timestamp`
@ 2015-07-22 21:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-22 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: 'Guix-devel'

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org> skribis:

> Doing so avoids boatloads of warnings

We were discussing it in <http://bugs.gnu.org/21111>.  I hadn’t realized
it’s one warning per file, so I’ve changed the text in 254b1c2 to
include your suggestion.

What version of GNU tar do you use?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* RE: TIP: untar binary install tarball using option `--warning=no-timestamp`
@ 2015-07-22 22:10   ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2015-07-22 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ludovic Courtès'; +Cc: 'Guix-devel'

Hi,  in Cent0S7 vendor supplies me with:

tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.26

Is there some good practice for following activity on debbugs  at http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix#searchoptions
It would be great to get an RSS feed or something allowing to watch all new bugs and activity on selected  "watched" bugs.  Any such thing exists?

Thanks!

~Malcolm

@ 2015-07-23 23:10     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-23 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: 'Guix-devel'

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org> skribis:

> Hi,  in Cent0S7 vendor supplies me with:
>
> tar --version
> tar (GNU tar) 1.26

Running ‘git blame’ on tar’s src/extract.c shows that warnings about
zeroed timestamps are no longer issued starting from tar 1.27, released
in Oct. 2013.  I’ve amended the manual to mention that.

> Is there some good practice for following activity on debbugs  at http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix#searchoptions
> It would be great to get an RSS feed or something allowing to watch all new bugs and activity on selected  "watched" bugs.  Any such thing exists?

One can subscribe to bug-guix@gnu.org (or via
<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.bugs>) and see all the
activity on all the bugs.

Alternately, if someone only interested in the bug they reported will
automatically receive followups and status change notifications
specifically for that bug, on the XYZ@debbugs.gnu.org email address.

HTH,
Ludo’.

* RE: TIP: untar binary install tarball using option `--warning=no-timestamp`
@ 2015-07-24 18:33       ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2015-07-24 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ludovic Courtès'; +Cc: 'Guix-devel'

> > Hi,  in Cent0S7 vendor supplies me with:
> >
> > tar --version
> > tar (GNU tar) 1.26
>
> Running ‘git blame’ on tar’s src/extract.c shows that warnings about zeroed
> timestamps are no longer issued starting from tar 1.27, released in Oct. 2013.
> I’ve amended the manual to mention that.

Great- thanks - living and learning -

> > Is there some good practice for following activity on debbugs  at
> > http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix#searchoptions
> > It would be great to get an RSS feed or something allowing to watch all new
> bugs and activity on selected  "watched" bugs.  Any such thing exists?
>
> One can subscribe to bug-guix@gnu.org (or via
> <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.bugs>) and see all the activity
> on all the bugs.

Gmane to the rescue again.  Of course!  NNTP still lives.  Hoorah!

> Alternately, if someone only interested in the bug they reported will
> automatically receive followups and status change notifications specifically
> for that bug, on the XYZ@debbugs.gnu.org email address.

Splendid.

> HTH,

Mucho!