unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* setting up a channel for pending package update patches
@ 2024-03-02 21:53 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2024-03-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi, curious if anyone has done such a task: setting up a channel for
the pending patches for package definitions.

Since pending patches for package updates take long time to process
and merge. I wonder if anyone has set up a channel that contains the
patches applied on top of the Guix git repo so such a channel would
bring the pending changes to end users who use this channel before the
official Guix git repo is updated (applying the package definition
patches).

This is not about a permanent fork of the Guix repo or a special
channel like guix games for some specific types of packages like say
games.

Better yet, if anyone has set up a substitution server for this update
channel, info on that would be even better.

This is assuming some risks, such as update patches may have errors,
that may break things

Curious if anyone's experience in doing this, any issues running such
setup, etc.

* Re: setting up a channel for pending package update patches
@ 2024-03-02 23:08 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-03-02 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, guix-devel

March 2, 2024 at 4:53 PM, "Andy Tai" <atai@atai.org> wrote:

> Hi, curious if anyone has done such a task: setting up a channel for
> the pending patches for package definitions.

I believe you are describing the guixrus channel.

https://sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus/

They will take WIP packages, and they help you to merge them upstream.

Joshua