unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-13 13:51 Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-05-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I like Guix's website¹, design is beautiful, site clean and objective.

Congratulation for GNU/Guix team and all volunteers.

1 - http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

--
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-13 16:53 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-13 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Daniel Pimentel <d4n1@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I like Guix's website¹, design is beautiful, site clean and objective.

I was about to announce it :-)  So the new web site, designed by Felipe,
is now deployed, in time for the new release.  Big thanks to Felipe for
the beautiful design and initial implementation, and to Mathieu for
putting the Scheme side of things on track!

Suggestions, typos, etc. are welcome!

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-13 18:29 ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2015-05-13 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, 13 May 2015, Daniel Pimentel wrote:

> I like Guix's website¹, design is beautiful, site clean and objective.
>
> Congratulation for GNU/Guix team and all volunteers.
>
> 1 - http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

Nice. Thanks.

Just screenshots are leading to 404.

> --
> Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

Adam Pribyl

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-13 23:51   ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2015-05-13 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Daniel Pimentel <d4n1@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> I like Guix's website¹, design is beautiful, site clean and objective.
>
> I was about to announce it :-)  So the new web site, designed by Felipe,
> is now deployed, in time for the new release.  Big thanks to Felipe for
> the beautiful design and initial implementation, and to Mathieu for
> putting the Scheme side of things on track!
>
> Suggestions, typos, etc. are welcome!
>
> Ludo’.

It looks AMAZINGGGGGGGG!  This is the standard of site design to which
all GNU projects will now be held! :)

Congrats and thanks to all, especially Felipe!

 - Chris

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 13:17   ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2015-05-18 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Court??s; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 06:53:15PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     Daniel Pimentel <d4n1@openmailbox.org> skribis:

     > I like Guix's website??, design is beautiful, site clean and objective.

     I was about to announce it :-)  So the new web site, designed by Felipe,
     is now deployed, in time for the new release.  Big thanks to Felipe for
     the beautiful design and initial implementation, and to Mathieu for
     putting the Scheme side of things on track!

     Suggestions, typos, etc. are welcome!

It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was avoided.
Also, there is too much empty real estate.  I don't like having to scroll
down three screens, when the text could all fit on one.

Just my $0.02

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 13:30     ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2015-05-18 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington, Ludovic Court??s; +Cc: guix-devel

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:

> It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was
> avoided.

Where?  We use white text on every dark background I can see.

--
David Thompson
GPG Key: 0FF1D807

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 13:38       ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2015-05-18 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:30:42AM -0400, David Thompson wrote:
     John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:

     > It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was
     > avoided.

     Where?  We use white text on every dark background I can see.

On the top left, just underneath the blue stripe, there is a link "GuixSD" in
black text.

Further down, there are five buttons:

"GRUB menu", "Graphical log-in screen" ...  all of which are black on dark grey.

J'

--

@ 2015-05-18 13:43         ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2015-05-18 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:30:42AM -0400, David Thompson wrote:
>      John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:
>
>      > It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was
>      > avoided.
>
>      Where?  We use white text on every dark background I can see.
>
> On the top left, just underneath the blue stripe, there is a link "GuixSD" in
> black text.
>
> Further down, there are five buttons:
>
> "GRUB menu", "Graphical log-in screen" ...  all of which are black on
> dark grey.

Those are all images.  You should enable images in your web browser.

--
David Thompson
GPG Key: 0FF1D807

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 13:50           ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2015-05-18 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:43:45AM -0400, David Thompson wrote:
     John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:

     > On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:30:42AM -0400, David Thompson wrote:
     >      John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:
     >
     >      > It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was
     >      > avoided.
     >
     >      Where?  We use white text on every dark background I can see.
     >
     > On the top left, just underneath the blue stripe, there is a link "GuixSD" in
     > black text.
     >
     > Further down, there are five buttons:
     >
     > "GRUB menu", "Graphical log-in screen" ...  all of which are black on
     > dark grey.

     Those are all images.  You should enable images in your web browser.

Why?  I choose to keep images disabled.  That is my business.

It is not reasonable to expect the user of a website to customise his browser setting
according the whim of the site he happens to be using.  Rather, a good website
design should be useable with any browser.

http://anybrowser.org

--

@ 2015-05-18 14:04     ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-18 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington
  Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+felipe.lopez=openmailbox.org

On 2015-05-18 08:17, John Darrington wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 06:53:15PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
>      Daniel Pimentel <d4n1@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>      > I like Guix's website??, design is beautiful, site clean and
> objective.
>
>      I was about to announce it :-)  So the new web site, designed by
> Felipe,
>      is now deployed, in time for the new release.  Big thanks to
> Felipe for
>      the beautiful design and initial implementation, and to Mathieu
> for
>      putting the Scheme side of things on track!
>
>      Suggestions, typos, etc. are welcome!
>
> It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was
> avoided.
> Also, there is too much empty real estate.  I don't like having to
> scroll
> down three screens, when the text could all fit on one.
>

> Just my $0.02

Yes, you're right. I didn't notice that. Sorry. It's a bug.

I chose background and foreground colors that are accessible, but missed
that on image links.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 14:22             ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2015-05-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:43:45AM -0400, David Thompson wrote:
>      John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:
>
>      > On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:30:42AM -0400, David Thompson wrote:
>      >      John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:
>      >
>      >      > It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was
>      >      > avoided.
>      >
>      >      Where?  We use white text on every dark background I can see.
>      >
>      > On the top left, just underneath the blue stripe, there is a link "GuixSD" in
>      > black text.
>      >
>      > Further down, there are five buttons:
>      >
>      > "GRUB menu", "Graphical log-in screen" ...  all of which are black on
>      > dark grey.
>
>      Those are all images.  You should enable images in your web browser.
>
> Why?  I choose to keep images disabled.  That is my business.

Well, naturally when the user alters the way pages are rendered, it may
not look as intended.  A screenshot section isn't particularly appealing
without images.

> It is not reasonable to expect the user of a website to customise his browser setting
> according the whim of the site he happens to be using.  Rather, a good website
> design should be useable with any browser.
>
> http://anybrowser.org

Luis will make the alt-text white, which will solve the issue.  Still, I
wish you had mentioned that you browse with images disabled and avoided
this confusion in the first place.  Most people don't do this and
everything looks fine.

--
David Thompson
GPG Key: 0FF1D807

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 15:19       ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-18 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-18 09:04, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> On 2015-05-18 08:17, John Darrington wrote:
>> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 06:53:15PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
>>      Daniel Pimentel <d4n1@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>>
>>      > I like Guix's website??, design is beautiful, site clean and
>> objective.
>>
>>      I was about to announce it :-)  So the new web site, designed by
>> Felipe,
>>      is now deployed, in time for the new release.  Big thanks to
>> Felipe for
>>      the beautiful design and initial implementation, and to Mathieu
>> for
>>      putting the Scheme side of things on track!
>>
>>      Suggestions, typos, etc. are welcome!
>>
>> It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was
>> avoided.
>> Also, there is too much empty real estate.  I don't like having to
>> scroll
>> down three screens, when the text could all fit on one.
>>

>> Just my $0.02
>
> Yes, you're right. I didn't notice that. Sorry. It's a bug.
>
> I chose background and foreground colors that are accessible, but
> missed that on image links.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

I just pushed a fix for the issue with colors.

As for the empty space, I'll let others comment on that because I don't
see it as a problem. I also don't mind if people decide that using the
whole width of the page (with reasonable margins) is better.

--

@ 2015-05-18 15:47   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-05-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 06:53:15PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I was about to announce it :-)  So the new web site, designed by Felipe,
> is now deployed, in time for the new release.  Big thanks to Felipe for
> the beautiful design and initial implementation, and to Mathieu for
> putting the Scheme side of things on track!

Excellent, the web site looks really nice and impressive, congratulations
to Felipe and Mathieu! (Or to us all, because we got such a nice release
present?)

> Suggestions, typos, etc. are welcome!

Did I already mention that I am not a fan of dark backgrounds? ;-)
But I know that I am part of a minority here.

The "mobile phone" part of the responsive design activates itself quite early;
personally, I am using a window that is a bit larger than half of my laptop
screen, and the mobile phone design looks weird. For instance, the menu
consists of six large panes, stacked vertically, with just a tiny bit of text
("Download", etc.) in the left corner, which takes at most 20% of the width
(while the full menu takes almost all of the height; so basically I am sitting
in front of a grey window with a bit of orange text in it). I would say that
the standard layout (with the menu items going from left to right in one row)
should be activated as soon as all the menu items fit. Maybe around 600 pixels
of window width instead of around 1000, or even down to 500 or 400 pixels?

On the download page, the items are all arranged vertically, with lots of free
space to their sides. Maybe this is also why John is seeing so much free space?
In full screen mode, I have three columns, which is a good use of the space.

On the download page, I would make the logos and file names clickable; then
maybe the download button becomes superfluous altogether. And maybe keep a bit
more space between the items, or some kind of line; especially in phone mode,
it is a bit difficult to decide whether the "download" button belongs to the
item described above or below it (but the correct solution, the item above,
is the more intuitive one, so there is no big problem here).

Andreas

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 16:53     ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-18 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-18 10:47, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Hello!

Hi, Andreas.

> The "mobile phone" part of the responsive design activates itself quite
> early;
> personally, I am using a window that is a bit larger than half of my
> laptop
> screen, and the mobile phone design looks weird. For instance, the menu
> consists of six large panes, stacked vertically, with just a tiny bit
> of text
> ("Download", etc.) in the left corner, which takes at most 20% of the
> width
> (while the full menu takes almost all of the height; so basically I am
> sitting
> in front of a grey window with a bit of orange text in it). I would say
> that
> the standard layout (with the menu items going from left to right in
> one row)
> should be activated as soon as all the menu items fit. Maybe around 600
> pixels
> of window width instead of around 1000, or even down to 500 or 400
> pixels?

Yes, I agree. The current design discriminates between two ranges of
screens only. So a new range could be added to avoid the too-much-menu
issue in wide-enough screens.

> On the download page, the items are all arranged vertically, with lots
> of free
> space to their sides. Maybe this is also why John is seeing so much
> free space?
> In full screen mode, I have three columns, which is a good use of the
> space.
>
> On the download page, I would make the logos and file names clickable;
> then
> maybe the download button becomes superfluous altogether. And maybe
> keep a bit
> more space between the items, or some kind of line; especially in phone
> mode,
> it is a bit difficult to decide whether the "download" button belongs
> to the
> item described above or below it (but the correct solution, the item
> above,
> is the more intuitive one, so there is no big problem here).

Ludovic suggested before that we could make the download items more
compact, and I agree. For example, instead of having one download item
per architecture, we would have one item for GuixSD and one item for
Guix, each of them listing the available download alternatives
(architecture, source, ...). For example:

-------------------
GuixSD 0.8.2

USB installer of the Guix System Distribution.

Download for x86_64 (get signature)
Download for xi686  (get signature)
Download for ...    (get signature)

See installation instructions
-------------------

In this design, the clickable logos and names would not work, but the
other changes you suggest do fit. I'm going to try this as soon as
possible if people think is alright.

Thanks for the feedback, Andreas.

--

@ 2015-05-18 18:53       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-05-18 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:53:45AM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> Yes, I agree. The current design discriminates between two ranges of screens
> only. So a new range could be added to avoid the too-much-menu issue in
> wide-enough screens.

That is yet another option. But I think that already now, you could enable
the traditional layout for intermediate screen sizes.

> Ludovic suggested before that we could make the download items more compact,
> and I agree. For example, instead of having one download item per
> architecture, we would have one item for GuixSD and one item for Guix, each
> of them listing the available download alternatives (architecture, source,
> ...). For example:
>
> -------------------
> GuixSD 0.8.2
>
> USB installer of the Guix System Distribution.
>
> Download for x86_64 (get signature)
> Download for xi686  (get signature)
> Download for ...    (get signature)

That looks good.

> I'm going to try this as soon as possible if people think is alright.

Sure, if things are not convincing when trying them out, you may still
not implement them in the end.

Andreas

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 19:43         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I just pushed a fix for the issue with colors.

Thanks, committed to CVS.

> As for the empty space, I'll let others comment on that because I
> don't see it as a problem. I also don't mind if people decide that
> using the whole width of the page (with reasonable margins) is better.

That’s fine with me as well.

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 19:45         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-18 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:53:45AM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
>> Yes, I agree. The current design discriminates between two ranges of screens
>> only. So a new range could be added to avoid the too-much-menu issue in
>> wide-enough screens.
>
> That is yet another option. But I think that already now, you could enable
> the traditional layout for intermediate screen sizes.

Yes, perhaps the following is enough?

diff --git a/website/static/base/css/header-box.css b/website/static/base/css/header-box.css
index dd1be4e..1355883 100644
--- a/website/static/base/css/header-box.css
+++ b/website/static/base/css/header-box.css
@@ -53,7 +53,7 @@
 }

-@media screen and (min-width: 1024px) {
+@media screen and (min-width: 800px) {
     #header-box {
         height: 55px;
     }

>> Ludovic suggested before that we could make the download items more compact,
>> and I agree. For example, instead of having one download item per
>> architecture, we would have one item for GuixSD and one item for Guix, each
>> of them listing the available download alternatives (architecture, source,
>> ...). For example:
>>
>> -------------------
>> GuixSD 0.8.2
>>
>> USB installer of the Guix System Distribution.
>>
>> Download for x86_64 (get signature)
>> Download for xi686  (get signature)
>> Download for ...    (get signature)
>
> That looks good.

+1

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-18 20:16           ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-18 14:45, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:
>
>> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:53:45AM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo
>> wrote:
>>> Yes, I agree. The current design discriminates between two ranges of
>>> screens
>>> only. So a new range could be added to avoid the too-much-menu issue
>>> in
>>> wide-enough screens.
>>
>> That is yet another option. But I think that already now, you could
>> enable
>> the traditional layout for intermediate screen sizes.
>
> Yes, perhaps the following is enough?
>
> diff --git a/website/static/base/css/header-box.css
> b/website/static/base/css/header-box.css
> index dd1be4e..1355883 100644
> --- a/website/static/base/css/header-box.css
> +++ b/website/static/base/css/header-box.css
> @@ -53,7 +53,7 @@
>  }
>

> -@media screen and (min-width: 1024px) {
> +@media screen and (min-width: 800px) {
>      #header-box {
>          height: 55px;
>      }

Yes. The current menu items fit in a 700px-width screen, but that's for
English text, so I pushed the change with the 800px to leave space for
future translations of the website.

--

@ 2015-05-18 20:27       ` Amirouche BOUBEKKI
From: Amirouche BOUBEKKI @ 2015-05-18 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: guix-devel

Le lundi 18 mai 2015 à 09:30 -0400, David Thompson a écrit :
> John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:
>
> > It would be better if black text on a very dark grey background was
> > avoided.
>
> Where?  We use white text on every dark background I can see.

Links that may help!

[0] can help test constrat according to standard.
[1] extract colors

[0] http://jxnblk.com/colorable/?mode=&colors=
[1] http://cssstats.com/

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-19  9:18         ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2015-05-19  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe L??pez Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

     On 2015-05-18 09:04, Luis Felipe L??pez Acevedo wrote:
     >On 2015-05-18 08:17, John Darrington wrote:
     >>On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 06:53:15PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     >>     Daniel Pimentel <d4n1@openmailbox.org> skribis:
     >>
     >>     > I like Guix's website??, design is beautiful, site
     >>clean and objective.
     >>
     >>     I was about to announce it :-)  So the new web site,
     >>designed by Felipe,
     >>     is now deployed, in time for the new release.  Big
     >>thanks to Felipe for
     >>     the beautiful design and initial implementation, and to
     >>Mathieu for
     >>     putting the Scheme side of things on track!
     >>
     >>     Suggestions, typos, etc. are welcome!
     >>
     >>It would be better if black text on a very dark grey
     >>background was avoided.
     >>Also, there is too much empty real estate.  I don't like
     >>having to scroll
     >>down three screens, when the text could all fit on one.
     >>

     >>Just my $0.02
     >
     >Yes, you're right. I didn't notice that. Sorry. It's a bug.
     >
     >I chose background and foreground colors that are accessible, but
     >missed that on image links.
     >
     >Thanks for your feedback.

     I just pushed a fix for the issue with colors.

Thanks.  It looks better now.

J'

--

@ 2015-05-21 18:48           ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-21 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-18 14:45, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:
>
>> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:53:45AM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo
>> wrote:
>>> Ludovic suggested before that we could make the download items more
>>> compact,
>>> and I agree. For example, instead of having one download item per
>>> architecture, we would have one item for GuixSD and one item for
>>> Guix, each
>>> of them listing the available download alternatives (architecture,
>>> source,
>>> ...). For example:
>>>
>>> -------------------
>>> GuixSD 0.8.2
>>>
>>> USB installer of the Guix System Distribution.
>>>
>>> Download for x86_64 (get signature)
>>> Download for xi686  (get signature)
>>> Download for ...    (get signature)
>>
>> That looks good.
>
> +1
>
> Ludo’.

OK, the new items in the download page would look like in this mock-up:

https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png

What do you think?

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-21 20:53             ` Andreas Enge
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-05-21 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 01:48:32PM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> OK, the new items in the download page would look like in this mock-up:
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png
> What do you think?

Much clearer, well done!

Andreas

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-21 21:09             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> OK, the new items in the download page would look like in this mock-up:
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png
>
> What do you think?

Clearer and very nice!

How would you like to go about implementing it?  :-)
Mathieu(?) or myself could surely help for the Scheme side, if needed.

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-21 21:36               ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-21 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-21 16:09, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> OK, the new items in the download page would look like in this
>> mock-up:
>>
>> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Clearer and very nice!
>
> How would you like to go about implementing it?  :-)
> Mathieu(?) or myself could surely help for the Scheme side, if needed.
>
> Ludo’.

I think I understand the Scheme side of the website now and I'm able to
build the HTML using the REPL, so I'd like to give it a try.

I'll ask for help if needed :)

@ 2015-05-21 21:40             ` Paul van der Walt
From: Paul van der Walt @ 2015-05-21 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-21 at 20:48, quoth Luis Felipe López Acevedo:
> OK, the new items in the download page would look like in this mock-up:
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png
>
> What do you think?

This solves my previous gripe, too.  Great! :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-05-21 21:43             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-21 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> OK, the new items in the download page would look like in this mock-up:
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png

I just realized that there’s the problem that the binary tarball and
source should link to different installation instructions.

Maybe the source should be completely separate?

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-21 21:51               ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-21 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-21 16:43, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> OK, the new items in the download page would look like in this
>> mock-up:
>>
>> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png
>
> I just realized that there’s the problem that the binary tarball and
> source should link to different installation instructions.
>
> Maybe the source should be completely separate?
>
> Ludo’.

I think it's ok to have a separate item for the source.

--

@ 2015-05-22 13:29                 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-22 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I think I understand the Scheme side of the website now and I'm able
> to build the HTML using the REPL, so I'd like to give it a try.

Excellent, thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-23 21:07                   ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-23 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-22 08:29, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> I think I understand the Scheme side of the website now and I'm able
>> to build the HTML using the REPL, so I'd like to give it a try.
>
> Excellent, thank you!
>
> Ludo’.

I attach my implementation. It works, but since I'm a novice, it may not
be pretty :) So, comments are very welcomed.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

[-- Attachment #2: website-simplify-download-items.patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff; name=website-simplify-download-items.patch, Size: 7472 bytes --]

diff --git a/website/static/base/css/download.css b/website/static/base/css/download.css
index fab1bc6..8477da6 100644
--- a/website/static/base/css/download.css
+++ b/website/static/base/css/download.css
@@ -1,9 +1,48 @@
 /*
     Public domain 2015 Luis Felipe López Acevedo. All rights waived.
     <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org>
-
-    NOTE  The default style is targeted at screens with a width less than
-          1024 pixels.
 */

 @import url("article.css");
+
+
+.download-box {
+    border-color: #CCC;
+    border-style: none none solid none;
+    border-width: thin;
+    color: #4D4D4D;
+    font-size: 0.9em;
+    padding: 10px;
+    text-align: center;
+}
+
+.hlink-download, .hlink-download:link, .hlink-download:visited {
+    background-color: #E6E6E6;
+    border-style: none;
+    border-radius: 5px;
+    color: black;
+    display: inline-block;
+    font-weight: bold;
+    margin: 5px;
+    padding: 5px 10px;
+}
+
+.hlink-download:active, .hlink-download:focus, .hlink-download:hover {
+    background-color: #F4BB15;
+}
+
+.hlink-signature {
+    display: inline-block;
+    margin: 0px 5px;
+}
+
+
+@media screen and (min-width: 800px) {
+    .download-box {
+        border-style: solid;
+        display: inline-block;
+        margin: 10px;
+        vertical-align: top;
+        width: 270px;
+    }
+}
diff --git a/website/www/download.scm b/website/www/download.scm
index 07d03cf..7b22aca 100644
--- a/website/www/download.scm
+++ b/website/www/download.scm
@@ -31,25 +31,42 @@ dependencies.")
 (define (ftp-url file)
   (string-append "ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/" file))

-(define* (summary-box title
-                      #:key file description image manual)
-  `(div (@ (class "summary-box"))
-        (div (@ (class "text-center"))
-             (img (@ (src ,(image-url image))
-                     (alt ""))))
+(define (guixsd-files archs)
+  (map (lambda (arch)
+         (cons arch (ftp-url (string-append "guixsd-usb-install-"
+                                            (latest-guix-version) "." arch
+                                            "-linux.xz"))))
+       archs))
+
+(define (guix-files archs)
+  (map (lambda (arch)
+         (cons arch (ftp-url (string-append "guix-binary-" (latest-guix-version)
+                                            "." arch "-linux.tar.xz"))))
+       archs))
+
+(define (guix-source-files variants)
+  (map (lambda (variant)
+         (cons variant (ftp-url (string-append "guix-" (latest-guix-version)
+                                               ".tar.gz"))))
+       variants))
+
+(define* (download-box title
+                       #:key files description image manual)
+  `(div (@ (class "download-box"))
+        (img (@ (src ,(image-url image)) (alt "")))
         (h2 ,title)
         (p ,description)
-
-        (p (@ (class "text-center"))
-           (a (@ (href ,(ftp-url file))
-                 (class "hlink-yellow-boxed"))
-              "DOWNLOAD")
-           (br)
-           ;; FIXME: Size?
-           ;; "(140MB approx.)"
-           (br)
-           (a (@ (href ,(string-append (ftp-url file) ".sig")))
-              "Get signature"))
+        (p "Download options:")
+        ,(map (lambda (file)
+                `(a (@ (href ,(cdr file)) (class "hlink-download"))
+                   ,file))
+              files)
+        (p "Signatures: "
+           ,(map (lambda (file)
+                   `(a (@ (href ,(string-append (cdr file) ".sig"))
+                          (class "hlink-signature"))
+                      ,(string-append (car file))))
+             files))
         (p "See the "
            (a (@ (href ,(guix-url manual)))
               "installation instructions")
@@ -78,39 +95,24 @@ can be installed as an additional package manager on top of an installed
 Linux-based system.")

 		(div (@ (class "text-center"))
-                     ,@(map (lambda (arch)
-                              (summary-box (string-append "GuixSD "
-                                                          (latest-guix-version)
-                                                          " (" arch ")")
-                                           #:file (string-append
-                                                   "guixsd-usb-install-"
-                                                   (latest-guix-version)
-                                                   "." arch "-linux.xz")
-                                           #:description %usb-image-description
-                                           #:manual %usb-image-manual
-                                           #:image %guixsd-image))
-                            '("x86_64" "i686"))
-                     ,@(map (lambda (arch)
-                              (summary-box (string-append "GNU Guix "
-                                                          (latest-guix-version)
-                                                          " Binary (" arch ")")
-                                           #:file (string-append
-                                                   "guix-binary-"
-                                                   (latest-guix-version)
-                                                   "." arch "-linux.tar.xz")
-                                           #:description %binary-tarball-description
-                                           #:manual %binary-tarball-manual
-                                           #:image %guix-image))
-                            '("x86_64" "i686" "mips64el" "armhf"))
-                     ,(summary-box (string-append "GNU Guix "
-                                                  (latest-guix-version)
-                                                  " Source")
-                                   #:file (string-append "guix-"
-                                                         (latest-guix-version)
-                                                         ".tar.gz")
-                                   #:description %source-tarball-description
-                                   #:manual %source-tarball-manual
-                                   #:image %guix-image))
+             ,(download-box (string-append "GuixSD " (latest-guix-version))
+                            #:files (guixsd-files '("x86_64" "i686"))
+                            #:description %usb-image-description
+                            #:manual %usb-image-manual
+                            #:image %guixsd-image)
+             ,(download-box (string-append "GNU Guix " (latest-guix-version)
+                                           " Binary")
+                            #:files (guix-files '("x86_64" "i686" "mips64el"
+                                                  "armhf"))
+                            #:description %binary-tarball-description
+                            #:manual %binary-tarball-manual
+                            #:image %guix-image)
+             ,(download-box (string-append "GNU Guix " (latest-guix-version)
+                                           " Source")
+                            #:files (guix-source-files '("tarball"))
+                            #:description %source-tarball-description
+                            #:manual %source-tarball-manual
+                            #:image %guix-image))

 		(p "Source code for the Guix System Distribution USB
 installation images as well as GNU Guix can be found on the GNU ftp server for "

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-24 12:58                     ` Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2015-05-24 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> I attach my implementation. It works, but since I'm a novice, it may
> not be pretty :) So, comments are very welcomed.

Nice work! I have noticed some trailing whitespaces. In emacs you can
invoke 'M-x delete-trailing-whitespace' before saving.

--
Mathieu Lirzin

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-24 13:19                     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-24 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> On 2015-05-22 08:29, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>>
>>> I think I understand the Scheme side of the website now and I'm able
>>> to build the HTML using the REPL, so I'd like to give it a try.
>>
>> Excellent, thank you!
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> I attach my implementation. It works, but since I'm a novice, it may
> not be pretty :) So, comments are very welcomed.

LGTM, please push!

(I can do the CVS commit afterwards.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-24 15:30                       ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Lirzin; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-24 07:58, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
>> I attach my implementation. It works, but since I'm a novice, it may
>> not be pretty :) So, comments are very welcomed.
>
> Nice work! I have noticed some trailing whitespaces. In emacs you can
> invoke 'M-x delete-trailing-whitespace' before saving.
>
> --
> Mathieu Lirzin

Thanks for checking, and for the tip :)

--

@ 2015-05-24 15:31                       ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-24 08:19, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> On 2015-05-22 08:29, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>>> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

>>> Excellent, thank you!
>>>
>>> Ludo’.
>>
>> I attach my implementation. It works, but since I'm a novice, it may
>> not be pretty :) So, comments are very welcomed.
>
> LGTM, please push!
>
> (I can do the CVS commit afterwards.)
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Pushed, and thanks :)

--

@ 2015-05-24 18:31                         ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2015-05-24 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

Luis,

your work on the website is very appreciated, just check result with
e.g.

https://validator.w3.org/

for syntax and other errors. Then it would be perfect.

Regards

Adam Pribyl

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-24 22:48                           ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-24 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-24 13:31, Adam Pribyl wrote:
> Luis,
>
> your work on the website is very appreciated, just check result with
> e.g.
>
> https://validator.w3.org/
>
> for syntax and other errors. Then it would be perfect.
>
> Regards
>
> Adam Pribyl

Hi Adam.

Yes, I'm aware of those. Most of them are because of a missing Doctype
definition on all pages, and because of using XML syntax in self-closing
elements. Part of that is related to the current SXML to XML conversion
method.

I'll see what I can do :)

--

@ 2015-05-25  2:17                             ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-25  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-24 17:48, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:

> Hi Adam.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of those. Most of them are because of a missing Doctype
> definition on all pages, and because of using XML syntax in
> self-closing elements. Part of that is related to the current SXML to
> XML conversion method.

I meant to say that the pages are missing a Document type declaration,
and that SXML to XML renders empty non-self-closing elements as
self-closing elements. For example

     (video (@ (src "http://somevideo.org/video.webm")))

Will be rendered as

     <video src="http://somevideo.org/video.webm"/>

Instead of

     <video src="http://somevideo.org/video.webm"></video>

In the case of the current video in the homepage, the issue can be
avoided because that video should provide alternative content, which
I'll fix. And, as a workaround for pages that include JavaScript in the
future, I think a noscript element could be used as alternative.

--

@ 2015-05-25 13:39                               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-25 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> On 2015-05-24 17:48, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
>>
>> Hi Adam.
>>
>> Yes, I'm aware of those. Most of them are because of a missing Doctype
>> definition on all pages, and because of using XML syntax in
>> self-closing elements. Part of that is related to the current SXML to
>> XML conversion method.
>
> I meant to say that the pages are missing a Document type declaration,

Would the following be enough?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-patch, Size: 413 bytes --]

diff --git a/website/www.scm b/website/www.scm
index 5cb0f7f..f2969e2 100644
--- a/website/www.scm
+++ b/website/www.scm
@@ -335,6 +335,7 @@ the broader GNU system.")
   (mkdir* (dirname file))
   (call-with-output-file file
     (lambda (port)
+      (display "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN\">\n" port)
       (sxml->xml page port))))

 (define* (export-web-site #:optional (directory "."))

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-25 15:30                                 ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-25 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-25 08:39, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> On 2015-05-24 17:48, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Adam.
>>>
>>> Yes, I'm aware of those. Most of them are because of a missing
>>> Doctype
>>> definition on all pages, and because of using XML syntax in
>>> self-closing elements. Part of that is related to the current SXML to
>>> XML conversion method.
>>
>> I meant to say that the pages are missing a Document type declaration,
>
> Would the following be enough?
>

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Ah, yes, thanks! I applied the change but using HTML5 doctype. All pages
pass the markup validation now.

--

@ 2015-05-27 16:16                                   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-27 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> On 2015-05-25 08:39, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

>>> I meant to say that the pages are missing a Document type declaration,
>>
>> Would the following be enough?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Ah, yes, thanks! I applied the change but using HTML5 doctype. All
> pages pass the markup validation now.

Seems like you forgot to push this change.

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix Oficial Website
@ 2015-05-27 17:29                                     ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-27 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-05-27 11:16, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> On 2015-05-25 08:39, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>>> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

>>> Would the following be enough?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Ludo’.
>>
>> Ah, yes, thanks! I applied the change but using HTML5 doctype. All
>> pages pass the markup validation now.
>
> Seems like you forgot to push this change.
>
> Ludo’.

I think I did push it:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/commit/?id=dc741a7064bfc55edf2139ace8137632e18960c7

The live website is already using the declaration...

--

@ 2015-05-28  9:46                                       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-28  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I think I did push it:
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/commit/?id=dc741a7064bfc55edf2139ace8137632e18960c7
>
> The live website is already using the declaration...

My bad, sorry for the confusion.

Ludo’.