unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: indieterminacy <indieterminacy@libre.brussels>
To: Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>
Cc: Brian Cully <bjc@spork.org>,
	catonano@gmail.com, Blake Shaw <blake@sweatshoppe.org>,
	Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>,
	Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in>, Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>,
	GNU Guix maintainers <guix-maintainers@gnu.org>,
	guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how to write services
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 15:33:42 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Maxime,

On 18-06-2022 14:23, Maxime Devos wrote:
> indieterminacy schreef op za 18-06-2022 om 13:53 [+0200]:
>> Additionally, based upon a decent demonstration on LMDB, I realised
>> that
>> my annotation system makes it more feasible to adapt documents into
>> LDIF
>> database-like-files (is that the correct terminology Maxime?) -
>> potentially turning each document into an LDAP ready database.
>
> If your asking me, I don't know.  What's LDAP doing here?  Isn't LDAP
> about authenticating users, which doesn't seem relevant to the
> documentation effort?  If this is about databases: is the exact
> database format relevant, or would any do -- e.g., Guix uses SQLite in
> some places, will SQLite do?

The prod was a little tongue in cheek, more of a nod to the thread
discussing file-like aspects of computing.

I have no focus on LDAP nor authentification per se (though my own
annotations would be able to map some of the parameters.

My understanding is that LDIF can hold keys and values and as such is
capable of representing concepts (or at least pointing to them).
As such I fancy a good 'ol hack.

In any case I shall be experimenting and breaking things and I should be
treated at this point as speculating.

I have no desire for substituting existing Guix databases - though I
would contend that knowledge-management has different requirements and
needs than system-maangement or coding. As such different toiling and
tooling is advisable.

> And the text above seems about databases and RDF, but there appear to
> be missing some things:
>
>   * what's the RDF and database for?  As I understand it, it's for
>     something about documentation and terminology, but currently it's
>     super vague.
>
>   * what stuff goes in the RDF and database, and what documents are you
>     speaking of?  The Guix manual?  All the package definitions, to use
>     them as examples?  The mails in the ML?  Manually written things?
>     Likewise, how is this database written or generated?
>
>   * How will this RDF be used?  I mean, RDF can be flexible (see e.g.
>     Wikidata), but someone has to actually write some applications that
>     make use of the information, otherwise the fancy RDF is useless.
>
>   * How is the RDF an improvement on the TeXinfo documentation?
>     I guess I'm missing something important here, but I prefer reading
>     TeXinfo documentation over RDF.
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.

The RDF is something experimental based upon feedback from my own
project.

Suppose we return to Brian's (apt) analogy concerning buildings and
building materials:

I would hazard that there would exist chains across triples which would
permeate from the concept stages of a building down to the point whereby
nails are contextualised (including with regards to safety; purchasing;
type; context; implementation).

Guix users should be able to build and resolve without the expertise of
all layers and abstractions pertinent to Guile and our community.

At my end, Ive spent a considerable time creating loose annotations -
which I inject everywhere.

Here is an example of task orientated annotations operating within my
Emacs config:
https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/5q50jq_oq_configuring_emacs/tree/master/item/init.el#L138

and for policy positions:
https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/5q50jq_oq_configuring_emacs/tree/master/item/init.el#L155

These annotations recurse through my entire system, for instance
operating as directory prefixes for specific concerns:
https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/5q50jq_oq_configuring_emacs/tree/master/item/rqr_organise
https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/5q50jq_oq_configuring_emacs/tree/master/item/iq_policy

My own bundle of knowledge repos can be found just from searching for
'3q' references within my system.
Some can be found here (I will upload some Guix repos eventually)
https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/?search=3q

Feel free to root around for approaches I have been taking to document
and plan in modern ways.

Similarly, these annotations can operate literate-programming style
within comments.

The fact that I can operate within Emacs-Hyperbole's Koutliner (block
orientated) filetype to provide hierarchy and hyperlinking keeps me in a
very terse and tactile state everywhere.

Currently I am able to grok my system with ease.
Ive been advised that outputting the interpretation of these files into
RDF would be advantageous to make use of the graph orientated and
folksonomic qualities of Icebreaker's approach.

FYI, I did a Fosdem talk. About 21 mins in some of the concepts coalesce
into an area more pertinent with regards to RDF themes
https://fosdem.org/2022/schedule/event/minimalsyntaxes/

Im hoping that RDF can mitigate some of the chaos from users personal
behaviours. My work operates more akin to body-language and philology as
opposed to more classical approaches to computer-programming and
computer-science.

I personally use my annotation system everywhere and adapt it for my own
needs. I think of it like in terms of ants, whereby the colony
increasingly grows smarter and more capable as the number of ants grows.

An ideal world would be one with which an RDF can provide a subset of a
document AND that a user who prefers to use other formats would then use
parameters to have this occur.

Emacs Hyperbole's use of contexts and Action-Buttons for PIM is a good
example of encouraging reflexive behaviours which can be configured for
individual usecases.

Sorry if this probably still comes across as vague (and certainly
straying off the realms of Guix in our current respective states).
However, its a big topic which will still take a lot of time to unpack
(expecially why I am still experimenting and testing the limitations of
things).

Feel free to ask me more (though please can you switch the subject
title) or even engage me privately (I have a matrix room, xq_icebreaker
too).

Kind regards,

--
Jonathan McHugh