unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: indieterminacy <indieterminacy@libre.brussels>
To: Brian Cully <bjc@spork.org>
Cc: catonano@gmail.com, Blake Shaw <blake@sweatshoppe.org>,
	Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>,
	Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in>, Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>,
	GNU Guix maintainers <guix-maintainers@gnu.org>,
	guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how to write services
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:53:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Brian,

On 16-06-2022 15:09, Brian Cully via "Development of GNU Guix and the
GNU System distribution." wrote:
> catonano@gmail.com writes:
>
>> I asked for indications about the process (what magic to use in the
>> REPL)
>
> My experience with Guix, in general, is that the REPL isn't
> particularly useful for any task beyond very simple testing (eg, what
> are the contents of ‘%base-services’). It's a shame, but I suspect
> it's like this because it's hard to make it more functional, and there
> are more important problems to work on. Even though I would much
> prefer to do almost all work with a REPL, I have not invested the
> effort into figuring it out because I don't have the time or
> expertise, currently. I can't fault anyone else for making similar
> choices.
>
>> This should be covered in the cookbook
>
> I agree. The cookbook could use a lot of work. Guix's documentation
> suffers in the middle ranges. There's a lot of very high level
> overview, and all the low level bits are reasonably documented, but
> there's very little on how to integrate them.

Personally, Im somebody who requires examples to hack off.
As many as possible, to compare and contrast concepts and feed my
imagination.

I wish I could reach for any API to explore and extrapolate with the
same ease as I do with a dictionary.
Probably a cognitive failing from me getting into coding so late in
life.

As with many things, I rely on conversational models to wash over me, so
MLs have been useful as filling gaps - though I have to be patient
waiting for solutions and ideals to reveal themselves over time.

The Guix mailing lists are hugely important to serve as the bridge
between higher and lower level concepts.
This method may not be optimal to or known by some hoping to users
hoping to utilise Guix further however.

Similarly, Im sure IRC/Matrix is useful, though I find the volume of the
official (Matrix?) room to be like a firehose with its volume and too
much to passively observe.

> If we were building a house, it'd be like having instructions that
> say: our house is made out of rooms. Then being given a bill of
> materials for all the different types of nails, boards, etc that can
> be used to build a house. There's no (or almost no) instructions for
> how to use those parts to build the shepherd service room, or how to
> connect the activation plumbing, etc. Unfortunately, those are the
> instructions that are most important, I think.

I like the analogy.

I feel that there is an information-governance issue in terms of
competencies, knowledge and requirements not fully intersecting.

Its not only because of the scale of the Guix community and as you
mention the weaker middle layer but problems of time and perspective
making it hard for specific solutions to find troubled users with
minimal costs.

In many respects its not only a problem of documenting and publishing -
there needs to be something in place to help orchestrate connections in
a way akin to pollination.

Like the moribund efficacy of forums such as GitHub Issues, I do feel
that the 'classic' model of SEO based search does not serve our
individual or collective requirements.

I have been nudged into considering RDF more proactively, it would be
super if Guix related knowledge could be represented in a semantic form,
as it could be that triples can serve to provide 'knowledge-corridors',
which connect up aspects of the ecosystem in ways unintended by
contributors.

> I have been keeping notes on my process of learning Guix in the hopes
> of starting something along these lines, but I'm not sure I'll ever
> have the time to get around to it; and I'm not much of a writer,
> besides.

You are a cogent and thoughtful writer so please write more and tell
people when you make progress!

My own research project, Icebreaker, has focused on trying to utilise
GemText and augment it with minimal syntaxes to support domains such as
knowledge-management and kanban boards.

GemText's minimal syntax could allow you to write your thoughts down
unimpeded and can be interpreted with ease.

See Genenetwork's own approach to such concepts to see how such habits
can build out over time:
https://github.com/genenetwork/gn-gemtext-threads

Midway through my NLNet grant (once a move past a hospice related
issue), Ill be integrating two interpreters covering formats (GemText
and Koutliner) and my own annotation system (Qiuy).
https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/1q20hqh_kq_parsing_gemtext
https://git.sr.ht/~indieterminacy/1q20hqh_oqo_parsing_glean

For me, this has put me in a situation whereby I can annotate anywhere
and soon I shall have a graph of resources to inspect and extrapolate.

To aid others comprehension and interoperability I shall be trying to
map my opaque seeming annotation syntax into RDF, hopefully something
positive can come from that phase.

Additionally, based upon a decent demonstration on LMDB, I realised that
my annotation system makes it more feasible to adapt documents into LDIF
database-like-files (is that the correct terminology Maxime?) -
potentially turning each document into an LDAP ready database.

Should both things turn out to be actionable then Guix
knowledge-management could become a question of the governance of
chaining concepts to fit usecases. Fingers crossed.

--
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels