unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* importing/refreshing Go packages
@ 2020-02-14 17:08 Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2020-02-14 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Leo Famulari

Leo and Guix,

I noticed that you recently updated syncthing and many of its
dependencies. Did you do this by hand? I'm wondering if it would make
things easier if we had a recursive importer.

I ask because I'm tempted to want the help of an importer while I'm
looking at packaging software (like chezmoi or kubectl) that has a lot of
dependencies, but am curious to hear from someone who has experience
working in this area.

Best,
Jack

* Re: importing/refreshing Go packages
@ 2020-02-14 18:51 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-02-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 12:08:08PM -0500, Jack Hill wrote:
> Leo and Guix,
>
> I noticed that you recently updated syncthing and many of its dependencies.
> Did you do this by hand? I'm wondering if it would make things easier if we
> had a recursive importer.

Yes, I did it by hand. I look at the history of Syncthings 'go.mod' file
(and sometimes 'go.sum'). It's tedious but not too bad...

An importer / updater would be very welcome. I feel like it should be
easy with 'go.mod'.

* Re: importing/refreshing Go packages
@ 2020-02-17 21:43   ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2020-02-17 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020, Leo Famulari wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 12:08:08PM -0500, Jack Hill wrote:
>> Leo and Guix,
>>
>> I noticed that you recently updated syncthing and many of its dependencies.
>> Did you do this by hand? I'm wondering if it would make things easier if we
>> had a recursive importer.
>
> Yes, I did it by hand. I look at the history of Syncthings 'go.mod' file
> (and sometimes 'go.sum'). It's tedious but not too bad...
>
> An importer / updater would be very welcome. I feel like it should be
> easy with 'go.mod'.

Leo,

Thanks for your reply. I, too, am hopeful that go.mod will be helpful.

Best,
Jack