unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Mumi now uses raw emails and Mu
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 20:41:02 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

Ricardo,

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I just wanted to let y’all know that Mumi at issues.guix.gnu.org now
> stores raw emails from Debbugs instead of fetching them through the
> Debbugs SOAP service.  This means that messages are no longer truncated,
> which is what happened to some multipart messages in the past.
>
> While I don’t think Mu is directly suitable for Mumi, I added Mu as a
> dependency for now, and I’m indexing all emails in regular intervals.
> This can be used to speed up the message search.  If you want to
> implement this, I’d be happy to receive patches!
>
> The code for Mumi can be found here:
>
>    https://git.elephly.net/software/mumi.git
>
> Going forward I think it would be better to use Xapian directly.  Then
> we could store more relevant information in the database, such as the
> Debbugs bug number to which a certain message relates.  I would like to
> be able to almost instantaneously answer these questions:
>
> * which of our issues have seemingly been forgotten?
> * which have been ignored?
> * which issues involve a certain person?
> * what issues match this text query?
>
> Since we’re interested in issues (not individual messages) these
> questions cannot quickly be answered with Mu.  To compute the issue
> number from a message requires parsing it and I’d much rather do this at
> index time.
>
> I guess we could even just fork Mu and make it store additional
> information in its database.

Very cool!

> If you’d like to take part in this effort to make Mumi more useful to
> all of us, please reply to this message.

I'd like to try to take part. I'm still very much a novice
programmer/Guiler, so I might require a fair amount of hand-holding, but if
others are working on it too, that should be fine.

With the currently deployed mumi, it looks like my mails in
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36207 are still mangling the '’' after
Ludo, but in a different way than before. Perhaps this will be a good
place for me to start trying to debug and learning the mail processing
code paths in mumi.

All the best,
Jack