unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* backup w/ duplicity borg attic bup?
@ 2017-05-10 19:52 myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-10 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I am looking for a command line de-duplicating backup tool. I will be
using it between GuixSD, Guix/GNU/Linux, and MacOS.

Based on what I see in gnu/packages/backup.scm and in https://brew.sh,
duplicity, borg and attic seem like they could be good choices.

I am also intrigued by bup (https://github.com/bup/bup), for which we
don't have a package (yet).

I would like to avoid python, but all of the above seem to use it ;-(

Does anyone out have suggestions?

TIA - George

* Re: backup w/ duplicity borg attic bup?
@ 2017-05-10 20:27 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2017-05-10 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: guix-devel

> Does anyone out have suggestions?

I use obnam (https://obnam.org/). It works well for me. However, obnam is
also written in python. :-P

* Re: backup w/ duplicity borg attic bup?
@ 2017-05-10 22:15 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-05-10 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 03:52:32PM -0400, myglc2 wrote:
> I am looking for a command line de-duplicating backup tool. I will be
> using it between GuixSD, Guix/GNU/Linux, and MacOS.
>
> Based on what I see in gnu/packages/backup.scm and in https://brew.sh,
> duplicity, borg and attic seem like they could be good choices.

I don't think Attic is a good choice anymore; it's unmaintained for ~2
years and has critical data integrity and security bugs. Borg is the
active fork. The Borg team is developing new features while also
triaging the Attic bug tracker, although they've worked through most of
those Attic bugs by now:

https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/issues/5

I like Borg overall. I've restored from it many times now, and it's
always worked. The developers are actively maintaining and improving the
software, and there is even a commercial offering (rsync.net). It's a
very similar backup paradigm to Tarsnap (snapshots composed of
deduplicated encrypted chunks), although the key management is less
advanced.

I'm not familiar with Duplicity so I can't compare it to Borg.

* Re: backup w/ duplicity borg attic bup?
@ 2017-05-11  4:46 André
From: André @ 2017-05-11  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I've been using borg recently, and it has been doing it's job well so far.

There's a very useful comment on Reddit about backup solutions that I
found very helpful some time ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/42feqz/i_asked_here_for_the_optimal_backup_solution_and/czbeuby/

* Re: backup w/ duplicity borg attic bup?
@ 2017-05-11  8:23 ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2017-05-11  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

myglc2 writes:

> I am looking for a command line de-duplicating backup tool. I will be
> using it between GuixSD, Guix/GNU/Linux, and MacOS.
>
> Based on what I see in gnu/packages/backup.scm and in https://brew.sh,
> duplicity, borg and attic seem like they could be good choices.
>
> I am also intrigued by bup (https://github.com/bup/bup), for which we
> don't have a package (yet).
>
> I would like to avoid python, but all of the above seem to use it ;-(
>
> Does anyone out have suggestions?

I've gone through obnam, duplicity and am now using borg.  For various
reasons the former two ended up not working for my needs.  Suffice to
say borg is working great for me now.

HTH,

Alex