unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Missing Secure and Private Communication Applications in Guix (REVISED)
@ 2019-05-01 13:21 Dexter Morgan
From: Dexter Morgan @ 2019-05-01 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: help-guix

   REVISED POST

   Hello!

   I was just browsing FSF's High Priority Projects
   ([1]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:High_Priority_Projects) a
   nd PRISM ([2]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:PRISM).

   I found out that some applications listed there for secure and private
   communications were not imported into Guix yet. The applications are:

   [1] CyrptoCat ([3]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Cryptocat)

   [2] Ekiga ([4]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Ekiga) *

   [3] Empathy ([5]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Empathy) *

   [4] Jitsi ([6]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Jitsi) **

   [5] Linphone ([7]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Linphone)

   [6] Ricochet ([8]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Ricochet)

   [7] Wire ([9]https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Wire) **

   * Part of GNOME, but not in Guix yet.

   ** Very useful for non-techsavvy users.

   Thank you!

   HAPPY TO SEE THE COUNT REDUCED :)

References

   1. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:High_Priority_Projects
   2. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:PRISM
   3. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Cryptocat
   4. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Ekiga
   5. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Empathy
   6. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Jitsi
   7. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Linphone
   8. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Ricochet
   9. https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Wire

* Re: Missing Secure and Private Communication Applications in Guix (REVISED)
@ 2019-05-02  4:55 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-05-02  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 2019-05-01 15:21, Dexter Morgan wrote:
> _*REVISED POST*_
> Hello!
> I was just browsing FSF's High Priority Projects
> (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:High_Priority_Projects) and
> PRISM (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:PRISM).
> I found out that some applications listed there for secure and private
> communications were not imported into Guix yet. The applications are:
> [1] CyrptoCat (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Cryptocat)

This has no releases and requires NPM libraries.

> [2] Ekiga (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Ekiga) *

This is buggy. Last release 5 years ago.

> [3] Empathy (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Empathy) *

"Empathy is looking for a new maintainer, see Attic/Unmaintained."

We have pidgin, pidgin-otr, Jami and Tox. Tox offers both Voice and
Video calls it seems. Jami offers both Voice and Audio and video
conference calls.

> [4] Jitsi (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Jitsi) **

No release since oct 2018, requires java and ant.
Supports Gtalk/Hangouts which will have to be evaluated for
freedom/privacy issues.

> [5] Linphone (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Linphone)

Last release was a year ago. SIP VOIP communicator. We have Jami and Tox.

> [6] Ricochet (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Ricochet)

Last release 7 Nov 2016

> [7] Wire (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Wire) **

Written in JS,
   "dependencies": {
     "@wireapp/certificate-check": "0.1.6",
     "@wireapp/commons": "1.6.6",
     "auto-launch": "5.0.5",
     "axios": "0.18.0",
     "electron-window-state": "5.0.3",
     "file-url": "3.0.0",
     "fs-extra": "7.0.1",
     "image-type": "4.1.0",
     "lodash": "4.17.11",
     "logdown": "3.2.8",
     "minimist": "1.2.0",
     "moment": "2.24.0",
     "open-graph": "0.2.4",
     "prop-types": "15.7.2",
     "raygun": "0.10.1",
     "react": "16.8.6",
     "react-dom": "16.8.6",
     "react-redux": "7.0.3",
     "redux": "4.0.1",
     "redux-logger": "3.0.6",
     "redux-thunk": "2.3.0",
     "uuid": "3.3.2"

> * Part of GNOME, but not in Guix yet.
> ** Very useful for non-techsavvy users.
> Thank you!
> *HAPPY TO SEE THE COUNT REDUCED :)*

This is not that likely if you don't package one of these yourself.

I found something during my review:

I found guile bindings for tox!
https://github.com/urras/guile-toxcore (no release yet though and they
use an old tox API it seems)