unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Steve George <steve@futurile.net>
To: Christina O'Donnell <cdo@mutix.org>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>, efraim@flashner.co.il
Subject: Re: Coordinators for patch review session on Tuesday
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:54:59 +0100	[thread overview]

On  4 Apr, Christina O'Donnell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> > 1. Changing the tag to reviewed-looks-good
> >
> > It doesn't look like this worked. The way to do this is in the instructions are 4. 'Set a user tag' [0], probably the easiest way is to send an email (I do get funny results sometimes with my email client):
> >
> > Subject: setting usertag on 65938
> >
> > user guix
> > usertag 65938 + reviewed-looks-good
> > quit
> >
> > The first line is important it has to be 'user guix' for it to appear on the patch review reports [1]. I think I messed up the instructions in the Wiki - you have to have a + in between the bug number and the tag you want to set (sorry about that). Please try again.
>
> Ah I got it this time. I was missing the 'user guix'. I didn't read the wiki
> and tried to look it up from the debbugs documentation.
>
> > This is really just a way of signalling that reviews are happening - so trying to keep us in sync. The usertags we're using are:
> >
> > - patch-review-hackers-list
> > - under-review
> > - escalated-review-request
> > - waiting-on-contributor
> > - reviewed-looks-good
> If I change the patch quite a lot, should I mark it as
> 'escalated-review-request' instead of 'reviewed-looks-good'?

Since a maintainer will look at it anyway before it's committed, and you are going to 're-roll' it as a v2 (which they will see) I wouldn't bother. I've been using 'escalated-review-request' for (a) ones I see that are just too hard for me, (b) if I personally think there's some outstanding issue with the patch that I can't solve.

> And should I remove them from the patch-review-hackers-list after I've
> responded

Yes please - if you remove it from that list, and you make yourself the owner then I hope we'll keep people co-ordinated!

> > The patch changes all look reasonable to me, you've already done a lot:
> Great, thanks! Good to know I'm doing things vaguely right!
> > 1. You should add a reviewed-by trailer:
> > Reviews are contributions from our community (and work!) so we should recognise them and add trailers. It also helps the maintainer know who did the review and therefore the level of confidence.
> >
> > Basically just add 'Reviewed-by: A Person <a@email.com> - [2]
> Sure, do you want me resubmit these patches to add that?

No - I think you're all good, it looked they were both going to the build system last night.

> > It looks like your updated patch retriggered QA, so if you look here and the foolow the Data Service link on the right you can see it's building it:
> >
> >    https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/65938
> >
> > The last step will be for a maintainer to see that it's built correctly, see your review and to apply it - great job for a first patch review!
> Wonderful! The first of many, I'm hoping.
(...)

Keep an eye on them in QA, and see if a maintainer sees them. If nothing happens after 10 days consider pinging on IRC.

Thanks,

Steve