unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Contribute or create a channel?
@ 2024-03-01 16:36 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2024-03-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I'm currently updating Tryton to version 7.0 and am wondering whether
it's better to contribute the change to Guix or to set up a channel for
Tryton.

WDYT? I'm eager to learn about your thoughts.

Here is why I'm wondering:

  * Tryton consists of a client, a server and about 200 module/add-on
    providing business logic.
  *

    Tryton publishes a LTS version every 2.5 years. Two LTS versions are
    supported (currently 6.0 and 7.0) and bugfixes are backported there
    for 5 years.

  *

    Every 6 month a new release is crafted (x.2, x.4, x.6, x,8) which
    will get bugfixes for1 year. Releases typically provide new modules
    (which is why updating is of interest) , might change inputs and
    might require database updates.

  * Bugfixes happens rather often and per-module, since they are
    published even for smaller fixes. Upstream promises to not contain
    functional changes or change requirements. Each bugfix could be
    implemented as a graft, since .

Given this, it might be interesting to have three versions of Tryton
available: the two LTS versions and the latest version.

Now the idea is to provide a channel which provides a branch for each
LTS version and a "main" branch for the latest release. This would allow
to checkout the respective branch and refresh the packages of the
respective version semi-automatically.

OTOH in Guix, maintaining several version seems laborious.

Anyhow I'm unsure whether it's worth the effort maintaining three
versions and whether I'll be able to keep three version up to date -
esp. given that I don't have much automation for this.

Some more background-info:

  * Within each version, there is guarantee that the database schema
    will not be changed. Anyhow between versions the db schema might
    change, requiring manual migration steps.
  * Debian as of now provides packages for 6.0 only (7.0 was released )

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          |h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com                |