unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Powerpc in the build farm
@ 2023-04-15 19:52 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2023-04-15 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

when looking at the powerpc machines at
   https://ci.guix.gnu.org/workers
one sees that only one slot out of two is used on guixp9, and nothing
at all on sjd-p9.

Could someone with knowledge how cuirass is set up on berlin have a look,
please? In the meantime, I will just connect manually to sjd-p9 and try
to compute a few packages, in the hope they will be picked up later.

Andreas

* Re: Powerpc in the build farm
@ 2023-04-15 20:25 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2023-04-15 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 09:52:50PM +0200 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> when looking at the powerpc machines at
>    https://ci.guix.gnu.org/workers
> one sees that only one slot out of two is used on guixp9, and nothing
> at all on sjd-p9.

It is definitely a thing with cuirass. When I manually start a powerpc
build on berlin, then it offloads to both machines (but it is difficult
to see how many slots are used).

Andreas

* Re: Powerpc in the build farm
@ 2023-04-17 13:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-04-17 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> when looking at the powerpc machines at
>    https://ci.guix.gnu.org/workers
> one sees that only one slot out of two is used on guixp9, and nothing
> at all on sjd-p9.

Both are running:

  • on guixp9, with ‘--workers=2’ (the machine has 8 cores);

  • on sjd-p9, with ‘--workers=4’ (the machine has 32 cores).

This is consistent with what I see right now at
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/workers>.

(Now those POWER9 machines are so fast that they can beat x86_64 even
with so few CPUs. :-))

Ludo’.