unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.
@ 2023-01-11  1:49 Hilton Chain
From: Hilton Chain @ 2023-01-11  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I'm trying to package wakatime-cli[1], while Guix uses Go 1.17 as the default, the package requires
Go 1.19 at the current version (v1.60.4).

Though it's possible to package the last version supports Go 1.17 (v1.38.0), I wonder if we can
adjust the build system so that a Go package could be specified via an argument in the package
definition.

Thanks!

[1] <https://github.com/wakatime/wakatime-cli>

* Re: Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.
@ 2023-01-11 10:38 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2023-01-11 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hilton Chain; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

> Hi Guix,
>
> I'm trying to package wakatime-cli[1], while Guix uses Go 1.17 as the default, the package requires
> Go 1.19 at the current version (v1.60.4).
>
> Though it's possible to package the last version supports Go 1.17 (v1.38.0), I wonder if we can
> adjust the build system so that a Go package could be specified via an argument in the package
> definition.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://github.com/wakatime/wakatime-cli

I don't know if that's the case for the Go build system but in the gnu build system adding the compiler you want as an input is enough for the build system to use it.

Did you try that?

Cheers,
Ekaitz

* Re: Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.
@ 2023-01-11 17:20 ` Katherine Cox-Buday
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2023-01-11 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hilton Chain; +Cc: guix-devel

Hilton Chain <hako@ultrarare.space> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I'm trying to package wakatime-cli[1], while Guix uses Go 1.17 as the
> default, the package requires Go 1.19 at the current version
> (v1.60.4).
>
> Though it's possible to package the last version supports Go 1.17
> (v1.38.0), I wonder if we can adjust the build system so that a Go
> package could be specified via an argument in the package definition.

As a temporary work-around, you can do this in a channel:

https://github.com/kat-co/guix-channels/blob/5c17bdd6c4ae801effdf1069df69ec4e2ce0a0dd/upstream/packages/golang.scm#L58-L59

https://github.com/kat-co/guix-channels/blob/5c17bdd6c4ae801effdf1069df69ec4e2ce0a0dd/upstream/packages/golang.scm#L818

Or maybe Ekaitz's suggestion might work.

At any rate, work is underway to bring Guix's default Go up to 1.19:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-01/msg00097.html

--
Katherine

* Re: Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.
@ 2023-01-11 17:25 ` (
From: ( @ 2023-01-11 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hilton Chain, guix-devel

On Wed Jan 11, 2023 at 1:49 AM GMT, Hilton Chain wrote:
> Though it's possible to package the last version supports Go 1.17 (v1.38.0), I wonder if we can
> adjust the build system so that a Go package could be specified via an argument in the package
> definition.

Pretty sure there *is* already a #:go argument, but I might be misremembering.

    -- (

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.
@ 2023-01-11 21:18   ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2023-01-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Hilton Chain, guix-devel

> Pretty sure there is already a #:go argument, but I might be misremembering.

Just took a look in the build-system and I can't find that argument.
Maybe I didn't search correctly anyway... :)

Cheers!

* Re: Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.
@ 2023-01-12  1:02   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2023-01-12  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Hilton Chain, guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 05:25:18PM +0000, ( wrote:
> Pretty sure there *is* already a #:go argument, but I might be misremembering.

That's correct. You can put something like this in the package
arguments:

#:go ,go-1.19

* Re: Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.
@ 2023-01-12  1:18     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2023-01-12  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Hilton Chain, guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 08:02:15PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> That's correct. You can put something like this in the package
> arguments:
>
> #:go ,go-1.19

This was undocumented... sorry! I just rectified that in commit
9ec62d1b9c55104f9ab81b95d82988c627a23415.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=9ec62d1b9c55104f9ab81b95d82988c627a23415