unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Reverting d477018b57 "gnu: poetry: Update to 1.1.12."
@ 2023-05-03  7:49 Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2023-05-03  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I noticed yesterday that Poetry was broken:
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1227911/details>.

I might have spotted it earlier if I had spend time testing `core-update`.
My bad!

The problematic commit seems to be d477018b57 "gnu: poetry: Update to 1.1.12.".

What also questions me is the fact that the commit message states that
it's an upgrade to `1.1.12` when it's the current version and it's
actually an upgrade to `1.4.2`.

Unfortunately, I have no time to work on this right now. Would it be
possible to revert the change? Or should I submit a patch to downgrade it?

Cheers,

--
Tanguy

* Re: Reverting d477018b57 "gnu: poetry: Update to 1.1.12."
@ 2023-05-04 15:09 ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-05-04 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy LE CARROUR; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Tanguy,

On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 09:49 AM, Tanguy LE CARROUR wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I noticed yesterday that Poetry was broken:
> <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1227911/details>.
>
> I might have spotted it earlier if I had spend time testing `core-update`.
> My bad!

Yes, I noticed that too but fixing the current version of Poetry sent
me down quite a rabbit hole of dependencies and updates. I didn't
emerge in time for the core-updates merge. There might be a better way
than causing a python world rebuild, but this is my current series
which does have Poetry building (might as well do the updates I
figure): <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63139>

The proper polishing and bootstrapping updates is WIP, but that series
will get you Poetry building, after lots of other rebuilding :)

> The problematic commit seems to be d477018b57 "gnu: poetry: Update to 1.1.12.".
>
> What also questions me is the fact that the commit message states that
> it's an upgrade to `1.1.12` when it's the current version and it's
> actually an upgrade to `1.4.2`.

Right, probably a typo in the commit message.

> Unfortunately, I have no time to work on this right now. Would it be
> possible to revert the change? Or should I submit a patch to downgrade it?
>
> Cheers,

I haven't tried if a simple revert will build given all the other
changes from core-updates. If that works that would be a good stopgap.
Do you know if that works and is simple enough? Or can you test?

Thanks,
John

* Re: Reverting d477018b57 "gnu: poetry: Update to 1.1.12."
@ 2023-05-04 15:23   ` Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2023-05-04 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kehayias; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi John,

Quoting John Kehayias (2023-05-04 17:09:14)
> On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 09:49 AM, Tanguy LE CARROUR wrote:
> > I noticed yesterday that Poetry was broken:
> > <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1227911/details>.
> >
> > I might have spotted it earlier if I had spend time testing `core-update`.
> > My bad!
> >

> Yes, I noticed that too but fixing the current version of Poetry sent
> me down quite a rabbit hole of dependencies and updates.

Oh my G…uix! O_o'

I started working on it yesterday, but stop after:

  gnu: Add python-pyproject-hooks.
  gnu: python-virtualenv: Update to 20.22.0.
  gnu: Add python-poetry-plugin-export.

*ERF*! Not even close! :-(

> I didn't emerge in time for the core-updates merge. There might be a better way
> than causing a python world rebuild, but this is my current series
> which does have Poetry building (might as well do the updates I
> figure): <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63139>
>
> The proper polishing and bootstrapping updates is WIP, but that series
> will get you Poetry building, after lots of other rebuilding :)

Or, I could write a Poetry v1.1.12 package definition in my channel.
Selfish, but efficient. Selfishient?!

> Right, probably a typo in the commit message.
>
> > Unfortunately, I have no time to work on this right now. Would it be
> > possible to revert the change? Or should I submit a patch to downgrade it?
>
> I haven't tried if a simple revert will build given all the other
> changes from core-updates. If that works that would be a good stopgap.
> Do you know if that works and is simple enough? Or can you test?

No, I haven't tried! I don't even know if many packages actually depend
on `poetry`. I'm expecting dependencies on `python-poetry-core`.

I'll give it a try at the week end!

Cheers,

--

@ 2023-05-24 16:48     ` Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2023-05-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kehayias; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi John,

Quoting Tanguy LE CARROUR (2023-05-04 17:23:44)
> Quoting John Kehayias (2023-05-04 17:09:14)
> > I didn't emerge in time for the core-updates merge. There might be a better way
> > than causing a python world rebuild, but this is my current series
> > which does have Poetry building (might as well do the updates I
> > figure): <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63139>
> […]
>
> I'll give it a try at the week end!

Days became weeks and… I had no chance (yet) to give it a try! 😵

Any updates on your side? I've just seen that Lars answered on #63139
few weeks ago.

Cheers,

--

@ 2023-05-25  3:19       ` John Kehayias