unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GNU Guix Video Documentation discussing priorities
@ 2018-10-29  7:53 Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-29  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel, Laura Lazzati, Björn Höfling,
	Ricardo Wurmus, Ludovic Courtès, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Guix,

Regarding the Outreachy Project for Creating Video Documentation for GNU Guix,
we come to a point where we should set up the priorities:
1. What types of videos should be created first:
a. introducing concepts,
b. practical howtos.
2. What audience to target:
a. people not yet interested in guix
b. people new to guix
c. users
d. developers.
3. What topics to cover first.

Please feel free to add to the list above, if you feel anything is missing.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation discussing priorities
@ 2018-10-29 11:00 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-10-29 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 2018-10-29 08:53, Gábor Boskovits a écrit :
> Hello Guix,
>
> Regarding the Outreachy Project for Creating Video Documentation for
> GNU Guix,
> we come to a point where we should set up the priorities:
> 1. What types of videos should be created first:
> a. introducing concepts,
> b. practical howtos.
> 2. What audience to target:
> a. people not yet interested in guix
> b. people new to guix
> c. users
> d. developers.
> 3. What topics to cover first.
>
> Please feel free to add to the list above, if you feel anything is
> missing.
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor

I think we should focus on more practical howtos aimed at people new to
guix. So
our priority would be “installing guix on a foreign distro”, “installing
guixsd”
and “using guix: installing, upgrading and removing packages” (including
guix pull).
Maybe "guix gc" should get a video too.

I can also think of other video titles like “environments vs profiles”
(showing the
difference between the two with practical examples) which would be aimed
at
developpers (not guix developpers, developpers of other things) (it
could be
“developping on guixsd”). “Getting back to work” when something is
wrong, show how
to roll-back a package profile, a system profile or even guix itself.

Thoughts?

* Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation discussing priorities
@ 2018-10-29 16:59   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-29 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: julien; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:01 AM Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> I think we should focus on more practical howtos aimed at people new to
> guix

So, first question: 1b.

> our priority would be “installing guix on a foreign distro”, “installing
> guixsd

For 3: Installation mentioned in Outreachy site would be the first video

> and “using guix: installing, upgrading and removing packages” (including
> guix pull).
> Maybe "guix gc" should get a video too.

For 3: Daily use as user the second one.

>   “developping on guixsd”).

 Then 2:
b, but applied to c and d. Aren't contributors going to be taken into
account?

What about the videos asking for help, troubleshooting? I believe they
apply to everyone, regardless the audience they belong to.

@ 2018-11-19 12:09     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-19 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello guix!

Now that we have our intern announced I would like to bring this
thread back to life.

So regarding the Outreachy Project for Creating Video Documentation
for GNU Guix,
we come to a point where we should set up the priorities:
1. What types of videos should be created first:
a. introducing concepts,
b. practical howtos.
2. What audience to target:
a. people not yet interested in guix
b. people new to guix
c. users
d. developers.
3. What topics to cover first.

What we have so far:

Based on Julien's suggestions:
* Focus on more practical howtos aimed at people new to guix.
** installing guix on a foreign distro
** installing guixsd
** using guix: installing, upgrading and removing packages
** guix pull
** MAYBE guix gc
* Developers (not guix, but general devs)
** environments vs profiles
** developing on guixsd
** "getting back to work" when something goes wrong
** roll-back profile, system-profile, guix

Additional questions based on Laura's suggestions:
* Should we aim some videos at contributors?
* Should we create videos related to getting help or troubleshooting?

@ 2018-11-20 22:37       ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-20 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Gábor,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 13:09:14 +0100
Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guix!
>
> Now that we have our intern announced I would like to bring this
> thread back to life.
>
> So regarding the Outreachy Project for Creating Video Documentation
> for GNU Guix,
> we come to a point where we should set up the priorities:
> 1. What types of videos should be created first:
> a. introducing concepts,
> b. practical howtos.
> 2. What audience to target:
> a. people not yet interested in guix
> b. people new to guix
> c. users
> d. developers.
> 3. What topics to cover first.
>
> What we have so far:
>
> Based on Julien's suggestions:
> * Focus on more practical howtos aimed at people new to guix.
> ** installing guix on a foreign distro
> ** installing guixsd
> ** using guix: installing, upgrading and removing packages
> ** guix pull
> ** MAYBE guix gc
> * Developers (not guix, but general devs)
> ** environments vs profiles
> ** developing on guixsd
> ** "getting back to work" when something goes wrong
> ** roll-back profile, system-profile, guix

I have nothing to add to that list.

Björn

* Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation discussing priorities
@ 2018-11-21 12:45         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-21 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel