unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* How to package software for guix?
       [not found] <CAMwaQA+J79tFq_y_LdCNKg0EwZpUz6OuWhLk91PMTWsnwv0_ag@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-11-04 22:06 ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-11-04 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I wanna get into guix development. Since I don't know any programming, I
would be most useful in packaging software for guix. I want to package
lxqt. I know qt5 is in the guix repo. So it wouldn't be very hard to
package it, I think. But how do you package and upload software to the
repo? Do I have to sign up on anything or get a gnu email or something?

* Re: How to package software for guix?
@ 2014-11-04 22:13   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-04 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 02:06:56PM -0800, Omar Radwan wrote:
> I wanna get into guix development. Since I don't know any programming, I would
> be most useful in packaging software for guix. I want to package lxqt. I know
> qt5 is in the guix repo. So it wouldn't be very hard to package it, I think.
> But how do you package and upload software to the repo? Do I have to sign up on
> anything or get a gnu email or something?

Just try to package something and send the result for constructive criticism
to the list. I would suggest to start with something simple, not a complete
desktop environment.

You may wish to have a look at
   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/guix-ghm-andreas-20130823.pdf ,
where I explain how to create simple and slightly less simple packages.

Andreas

* Re: How to package software for guix?
@ 2014-11-05  7:10   ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2014-11-05  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan, guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> writes:

> I wanna get into guix development. Since I don't know any programming, I
> would be most useful in packaging software for guix. I want to package
> lxqt. I know qt5 is in the guix repo. So it wouldn't be very hard to
> package it, I think. But how do you package and upload software to the
> repo? Do I have to sign up on anything or get a gnu email or something?
Hi, I'm interesting in in packaging lxqt too :)
I think the best start point is using any IRC client, join #guix at freenode!

* Re: How to package software for guix?
@ 2014-11-05 15:13     ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-11-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武, guix-devel