unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-12 17:04 Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-12 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I just pushed modified backgrounds for GRUB using the new GuixSD logo.
To use the new backgrounds, GRUB configuration should be updated to use
"yellow" for selected entries in the list (see attached image).

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome,

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

[-- Attachment #2: GuixSD-GRUB.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 142425 bytes --]

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-12 20:57 ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-02-12 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
  Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-02-12 14:04, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just pushed modified backgrounds for GRUB using the new GuixSD logo.
> To use the new backgrounds, GRUB configuration should be updated to use
> "yellow" for selected entries in the list (see attached image).
>
> As always, comments and suggestions are welcome,
I like it, congratulation again. Why not red or blue color?

Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-12 21:48   ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-12 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Pimentel; +Cc: guix-devel

El jue, 12-02-2015 a las 17:57 -0300, Daniel Pimentel escribió:
> On 2015-02-12 14:04, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just pushed modified backgrounds for GRUB using the new GuixSD logo.
> > To use the new backgrounds, GRUB configuration should be updated to use
> > "yellow" for selected entries in the list (see attached image).
> >
> > As always, comments and suggestions are welcome,
> I like it, congratulation again. Why not red or blue color?

Thanks :)

I wanted to use the yellow/orange used on the logo[1], which I think
looks nice on the black background.

I plan to use that color to differentiate GuixSD from other distros
(many of which use blue).

[1] http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-12 22:46 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-12 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Nice!

Attached is the actual rendering (just pushed to ‘master’.)

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: GRUB --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 921615 bytes --]

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-15  0:18 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-02-15  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> I just pushed modified backgrounds for GRUB using the new GuixSD logo.
> To use the new backgrounds, GRUB configuration should be updated to use
> "yellow" for selected entries in the list (see attached image).
>
> As always, comments and suggestions are welcome,

The drop shadow that you added here defeats the illusion of the
3-dimensional twist that makes earlier renditions of this logo so
compelling.  It ends up looking flat.  Any ideas how this could be
improved?

Thanks for working on it!

     Mark

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-16 15:42   ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-16 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

El sáb, 14-02-2015 a las 19:18 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
> > I just pushed modified backgrounds for GRUB using the new GuixSD logo.
> > To use the new backgrounds, GRUB configuration should be updated to use
> > "yellow" for selected entries in the list (see attached image).
> >
> > As always, comments and suggestions are welcome,
>
> The drop shadow that you added here defeats the illusion of the
> 3-dimensional twist that makes earlier renditions of this logo so
> compelling.  It ends up looking flat.  Any ideas how this could be
> improved?

Thanks for pointing that out, Mark. I agree with you. I spent too much
time in front of that logo, so it is hard for me to notice those details
sometimes.

This is the current image:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/A-grub.png

And here are some variants for comparison.

This is variant B, which is the same as the current image, but without
the shadow:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/B-grub-no-shadow.png

I think that the gradients that give the illusion of twist are still a
bit hard to see. So here is variant C with retouched gradients:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/C-grub-retouched-twist.png

I think it looks better. But here is a D variant which includes the
retouched twist of C and adds a drop shadow:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/D-grub-retouched-drop-shadow.png

This shadow is more subtle than the one used in the current GRUB image,
but it may still flatten the logo because it is bevelled.

I like C and D, but would go with C to avoid the problem you mention.

What do you think?

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-16 15:55     ` Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer @ 2015-02-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> I think that the gradients that give the illusion of twist are still a
> bit hard to see. So here is variant C with retouched gradients:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/C-grub-retouched-twist.png
>
> I think it looks better. But here is a D variant which includes the
> retouched twist of C and adds a drop shadow:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/D-grub-retouched-drop-shadow.png
>
> This shadow is more subtle than the one used in the current GRUB image,
> but it may still flatten the logo because it is bevelled.
>
> I like C and D, but would go with C to avoid the problem you mention.
>
> What do you think?

I really like D.  C is great too.  Just my 2 layperson cents.

Taylan

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-16 17:41       ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2015-02-16 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer,
	Luis Felipe López Acevedo
  Cc: guix-devel

On Mon Feb 16 2015 at 5:27:28 PM Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer <
taylanbayirli@gmail.com> wrote:

> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
> > I think that the gradients that give the illusion of twist are still a
> > bit hard to see. So here is variant C with retouched gradients:
> >
> > http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/C-grub-
> retouched-twist.png
> >
> > I think it looks better. But here is a D variant which includes the
> > retouched twist of C and adds a drop shadow:
> >
> > http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/D-grub-
> retouched-drop-shadow.png
> >
> > This shadow is more subtle than the one used in the current GRUB image,
> > but it may still flatten the logo because it is bevelled.
> >
> > I like C and D, but would go with C to avoid the problem you mention.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I really like D.  C is great too.  Just my 2 layperson cents.
>
> Taylan

+1

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-17 22:41     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-02-17 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> El sáb, 14-02-2015 a las 19:18 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:
>> The drop shadow that you added here defeats the illusion of the
>> 3-dimensional twist that makes earlier renditions of this logo so
>> compelling.  It ends up looking flat.  Any ideas how this could be
>> improved?
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, Mark. I agree with you. I spent too much
> time in front of that logo, so it is hard for me to notice those details
> sometimes.

[...]

> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/C-grub-retouched-twist.png
>
> I think it looks better. But here is a D variant which includes the
> retouched twist of C and adds a drop shadow:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/D-grub-retouched-drop-shadow.png
>
> This shadow is more subtle than the one used in the current GRUB image,
> but it may still flatten the logo because it is bevelled.
>
> I like C and D, but would go with C to avoid the problem you mention.
>
> What do you think?

Thank you, both C and D are a great improvement.  I would be happy with
either of them, but here's what I would suggest to combine the best of
both: starting with C, add a different kind of shadow from what you did
in D.

In D, it looks as though you added a low-opacity black layer on top,
which results in highlights on the top edge and a shadow on the bottom.
Instead, I would try adding a larger, feathered (i.e. fuzzy-edged)
shadow in the *bottom* layer, closer to what you did in your recently
proposed orange-on-black SLiM theme in the right half of this image:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/pngMImBoTqdbR.png
  (from https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/msg00395.html)

though maybe not quite so large a shadow as that one.  So, there would
be no highlights on top, but rather just a fuzzy shadow underneath.
What do you think?  Would you like to try it?

Thanks again for your beautiful work :)

     Mark

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-19 16:26       ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-19 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

El mar, 17-02-2015 a las 17:41 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

[...]

> > http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/C-grub-retouched-twist.png
> >
> > I think it looks better. But here is a D variant which includes the
> > retouched twist of C and adds a drop shadow:
> >
> > http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/D-grub-retouched-drop-shadow.png
> >
> > This shadow is more subtle than the one used in the current GRUB image,
> > but it may still flatten the logo because it is bevelled.
> >
> > I like C and D, but would go with C to avoid the problem you mention.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Thank you, both C and D are a great improvement.  I would be happy with
> either of them, but here's what I would suggest to combine the best of
> both: starting with C, add a different kind of shadow from what you did
> in D.
>
> In D, it looks as though you added a low-opacity black layer on top,
> which results in highlights on the top edge and a shadow on the bottom.
> Instead, I would try adding a larger, feathered (i.e. fuzzy-edged)
> shadow in the *bottom* layer, closer to what you did in your recently
> proposed orange-on-black SLiM theme in the right half of this image:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/pngMImBoTqdbR.png
>   (from https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/msg00395.html)
>
> though maybe not quite so large a shadow as that one.  So, there would
> be no highlights on top, but rather just a fuzzy shadow underneath.
> What do you think?  Would you like to try it?

OK. Let's call that one variant E:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/E-grub-blurred-shadow.png

I like C, D or E.

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-19 18:41         ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-02-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> El mar, 17-02-2015 a las 17:41 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:
>> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> > http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/C-grub-retouched-twist.png
>> >
>> > I think it looks better. But here is a D variant which includes the
>> > retouched twist of C and adds a drop shadow:
>> >
>> > http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/D-grub-retouched-drop-shadow.png
>> >
>> > This shadow is more subtle than the one used in the current GRUB image,
>> > but it may still flatten the logo because it is bevelled.
>> >
>> > I like C and D, but would go with C to avoid the problem you mention.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>>
>> Thank you, both C and D are a great improvement.  I would be happy with
>> either of them, but here's what I would suggest to combine the best of
>> both: starting with C, add a different kind of shadow from what you did
>> in D.
>>
>> In D, it looks as though you added a low-opacity black layer on top,
>> which results in highlights on the top edge and a shadow on the bottom.
>> Instead, I would try adding a larger, feathered (i.e. fuzzy-edged)
>> shadow in the *bottom* layer, closer to what you did in your recently
>> proposed orange-on-black SLiM theme in the right half of this image:
>>
>>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/pngMImBoTqdbR.png
>>   (from https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/msg00395.html)
>>
>> though maybe not quite so large a shadow as that one.  So, there would
>> be no highlights on top, but rather just a fuzzy shadow underneath.
>> What do you think?  Would you like to try it?
>
> OK. Let's call that one variant E:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/E-grub-blurred-shadow.png

I think the shadow in E needs to be larger and darker to be effective
there.  Anyway, I don't want to make too much work for you.  I would be
happy with any of C, D, or E.

     Thanks!
       Mark

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-21 14:52           ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-21 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

El jue, 19-02-2015 a las 13:41 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:

> I think the shadow in E needs to be larger and darker to be effective
> there.  Anyway, I don't want to make too much work for you.  I would be
> happy with any of C, D, or E.
>
>      Thanks!
>        Mark

OK. I pushed variant D as the default (I really like that one :)). But I
left the other variants in the SVG files, just in case.

* Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
@ 2015-02-23 20:54             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-23 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> El jue, 19-02-2015 a las 13:41 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:
>>
>> I think the shadow in E needs to be larger and darker to be effective
>> there.  Anyway, I don't want to make too much work for you.  I would be
>> happy with any of C, D, or E.
>>
>>      Thanks!
>>        Mark
>
> OK. I pushed variant D as the default (I really like that one :)). But I
> left the other variants in the SVG files, just in case.

I like this variant too, thank you and everyone!

Ludo’.