unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* gcl 2.6.12 breaks maxima
@ 2014-11-27  9:54 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-11-27  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

I noticed that after the update of gcl from 2.6.11 to 2.6.12, maxima
fails to build.

http://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/maxima-5.34.1.x86_64-linux

Could we revert to the previous version until the incompatibility
between the two is fixed?

Regards,
Fede

* Re: gcl 2.6.12 breaks maxima
@ 2014-11-27  9:56 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-27  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:54:49AM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> Could we revert to the previous version until the incompatibility
> between the two is fixed?

do you see a way of fixing it? That would be the best solution!
Or is it a documented and known problem?

Andreas

* Re: gcl 2.6.12 breaks maxima
@ 2014-11-27 10:00   ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-11-27 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:54:49AM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
>> Could we revert to the previous version until the incompatibility
>> between the two is fixed?
>
> do you see a way of fixing it? That would be the best solution!
> Or is it a documented and known problem?

No, right now I do not have time to look into this, but a quick search
suggests that maybe it's a matter of gcl compilation flags.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2014-10/msg00002.html

Regards,
Fede

* Re: gcl 2.6.12 breaks maxima
@ 2014-11-27 12:48     ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-11-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:54:49AM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
>>> Could we revert to the previous version until the incompatibility
>>> between the two is fixed?
>>
>> do you see a way of fixing it? That would be the best solution!
>> Or is it a documented and known problem?
>
> No, right now I do not have time to look into this, but a quick search
> suggests that maybe it's a matter of gcl compilation flags.

After having a look at the maxima log I suspect that we are hitting
this problem:

https://www.ma.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2008/009769.html

Regards,
Fede

* Re: gcl 2.6.12 breaks maxima
@ 2014-11-27 22:06       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-27 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 01:48:31PM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> After having a look at the maxima log I suspect that we are hitting
> this problem:
> https://www.ma.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2008/009769.html

Thanks for working on this! I tried dropping the 'strip' phase for gcl,
and now maxima starts to be built. So assuming it succeeds, I would suggest
to not strip gcl.

Andreas

* Re: gcl 2.6.12 breaks maxima
@ 2014-11-28  8:23         ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-11-28  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 01:48:31PM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
>> After having a look at the maxima log I suspect that we are hitting
>> this problem:
>> https://www.ma.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2008/009769.html
>
> Thanks for working on this! I tried dropping the 'strip' phase for gcl,
> and now maxima starts to be built. So assuming it succeeds, I would suggest
> to not strip gcl.

Thanks for acting so quickly :-)

Fede