unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* poor scrolling in qemu-kvm
@ 2014-11-29 16:23 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-11-29 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

I'm experimenting with the system in a qemu-kvm virtual machine. I
created an image and successfully booted. However, scrolling of the
display is unusably slow (e.g. displaying dmesg). The same problem is
also visible in Ludovic's presentation

http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2014/2014-08--courtes--were-building-the-gnu-system--ghm.webm

at about min. 41.

For comparison I run an ubuntu live cd (in text mode) and it performs very well.

Have someone found out the reason for this poor performance in
qemu-kvm and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Fede

* Re: poor scrolling in qemu-kvm
@ 2014-11-29 17:54 ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-11-29 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with the system in a qemu-kvm virtual machine. I
> created an image and successfully booted. However, scrolling of the
> display is unusably slow (e.g. displaying dmesg). The same problem is
> also visible in Ludovic's presentation
>
> http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2014/2014-08--courtes--were-building-the-gnu-system--ghm.webm
>
> at about min. 41.
>
> For comparison I run an ubuntu live cd (in text mode) and it performs very well.
>
> Have someone found out the reason for this poor performance in
> qemu-kvm and how to fix it?

Interestingly, under X the system performs pretty well. So, its a text
mode problem.

@ 2014-11-29 20:53 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-29 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> Have someone found out the reason for this poor performance in
> qemu-kvm and how to fix it?

Yes, I eventually found out: by default, QEMU uses a Cirrus VGA graphics
adapter emulator, which is damn slow for this kind of framebuffer thing.

The right thing is to use ‘-vga std’, which uses a “standard VGA”
emulator, which doesn’t have this problem.

However, X will fail to start currently when using this.  The fix is to
use xf86-video-modesetting.  But this driver is not currently usable
because it requires a version of libdrm incompatible with that currently
used by xorg-server/MESA.

Long story short: we just need to update MESA to use the newer libdrm,
and we should be able to fix that.

Would you like to try?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: poor scrolling in qemu-kvm
@ 2014-11-29 21:20   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-29 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Federico Beffa

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 09:53:54PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Long story short: we just need to update MESA to use the newer libdrm,
> and we should be able to fix that.
> Would you like to try?  :-)

I did try to update mesa, which was the source of some new packages in the
xorg module. However, if I remember correctly, a newer mesa would essentially
force us to upgrade all of our X. And so far, the policy has been to stay with
the releases stable R7.7. Just as a warning that by upgrading something, you
may be in for upgrading a lot, which we might not wish to do.

Andreas

* Re: poor scrolling in qemu-kvm
@ 2014-11-29 21:28     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-29 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: Guix-devel, Federico Beffa

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 09:53:54PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Long story short: we just need to update MESA to use the newer libdrm,
>> and we should be able to fix that.
>> Would you like to try?  :-)
>
> I did try to update mesa, which was the source of some new packages in the
> xorg module. However, if I remember correctly, a newer mesa would essentially
> force us to upgrade all of our X. And so far, the policy has been to stay with
> the releases stable R7.7. Just as a warning that by upgrading something, you
> may be in for upgrading a lot, which we might not wish to do.

Oh, right.

OTOH the real R7.7 is getting old, no?  Should we really wait for the
next big joint release?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: poor scrolling in qemu-kvm
@ 2014-11-30 16:05     ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-11-30 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 09:53:54PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Long story short: we just need to update MESA to use the newer libdrm,
>> and we should be able to fix that.
>> Would you like to try?  :-)

I will first finish the work on numpy/scipy .I will then give it a go.

> I did try to update mesa, which was the source of some new packages in the
> xorg module. However, if I remember correctly, a newer mesa would essentially
> force us to upgrade all of our X. And so far, the policy has been to stay with
> the releases stable R7.7. Just as a warning that by upgrading something, you
> may be in for upgrading a lot, which we might not wish to do.

Right now there are newer versions than the ones mentioned in the
comment of the mesa package.  If things require substantial upgrades I
will get back to the list.

Regards,

@ 2014-11-30 17:47       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-30 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 05:05:30PM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> Right now there are newer versions than the ones mentioned in the
> comment of the mesa package.  If things require substantial upgrades I
> will get back to the list.

I know, but I tried to package mesa 10 until I realised it would mean more
massive upgrades.

Now, I am not necessarily opposed to switching to newer x.org packages
everywhere. But in this case, it would be nice to start with a "guxi refresh"
that works more generally, and at least on the packages mirrored on x.org.

Andreas

* Re: poor scrolling in qemu-kvm
@ 2014-12-01  8:20         ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-12-01  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 05:05:30PM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
>> Right now there are newer versions than the ones mentioned in the
>> comment of the mesa package.  If things require substantial upgrades I
>> will get back to the list.
>
> I know, but I tried to package mesa 10 until I realised it would mean more
> massive upgrades.
>
> Now, I am not necessarily opposed to switching to newer x.org packages
> everywhere. But in this case, it would be nice to start with a "guxi refresh"
> that works more generally, and at least on the packages mirrored on x.org.

Hi Andreas,

It sounds like you did quite some work on it already.  Please go on if
you like. I'm not trying to step on anyone's feet :-)

@ 2014-12-05 20:59           ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-12-05 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 09:20:49AM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> It sounds like you did quite some work on it already.  Please go on if
> you like. I'm not trying to step on anyone's feet :-)

Difficult to step on anyone's feet by doing work ;-)

I am definitely not going to work on "guix refresh" in the near future.

I could work on updating x.org, but not before next year, or maybe leisurely
during Christmas holidays.

Andreas

* Re: poor scrolling in qemu-kvm
@ 2014-12-13 16:13   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-12-13 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> The right thing is to use ‘-vga std’, which uses a “standard VGA”
> emulator, which doesn’t have this problem.
>
> However, X will fail to start currently when using this.

Somehow this problem disappeared recently, and running X in -vga std
works fine as of commit b2bd7c2.

I’ll update the VM code to use that by default.

Ludo’.