unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: Lack of locales in build environment
@ 2015-02-10 19:54 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-02-10 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:
>     (i) we already are at 7 (4+3) packages requiring an UTF-8 locale
>
> Then that is a bug which should be filed against those pacakges.

I just discovered the problem with the "scipy ecosystem" packages
today and intended to fix them. But, before submitting changes, I wanted
to check with the ML.

If we decide to keep the status quo, then I will fix the
packages. Otherwise, if we introduce a default UTF-8 locale or implement
Andreas's suggestion, I will file a bug to avoid forgetting.

>      (ii) This is another small step in
>      making maintenance easier by providing an environment setting that
>      sometimes helps.
>
> It sounds like a slippery slope.  If we shovel in everything into the defaults,
> that might possibly help somebody do something, someday we'll end up with a very
> bloated system.

The C locale is really an ancient relict. I think adding a more
modern default locale to the build environment doesn't really bloat the
system.

> The C locale is the canonical locale. UTF-8 is not the only characater encoding in
> the world.  English is not the only language in the world, and US English is not
> the only dialect of English.

I'm not a native english speaker and I understand the problem very
well. In spite of this I do not know of any package providing
documentation in other languages than english. That's the reason for
suggesting a default locale of en_US.UTF-8 for the build systems.

Regards,
Fede

* core-updates merged!
@ 2015-02-10 16:38 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-02-10 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: Guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>   • The ‘glibc’ package no longer has a “locale” output, making it
>     faster to build, and much smaller (the “locale” output was always
>     pulled, and it took 110 MiB.)

I notice that this breaks some packages like guile-ncurses and the
(all?) packages using python-sphinx to generate documentation like
matplotlib, numpy, scipy.

Guile-ncurses was fixed by adding a new phase to generate the
"en_US.UTF-8" locale during the generation of the package, but wouldn't
it be better to keep the "en_US.UTF-8" locale? That appears to be the
default used by most packages.

Regards,
Fede