unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Packaging for guix
@ 2019-03-28  5:21 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-03-28  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pyside; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello pyside maintainers,

Hope you are all well.  I am looking to package freecad for the guix package manager for which pyside is a dependency. I’m having some trouble packaging pyside as the build and environment for guix (like nix) are quite different from a Debian style system. There a quite a few differences:

 -  the prefix for installation directories is in a unique directory specific to the package
 - cmake and python require many particular environment variables and flags
- library and linking paths are very different and often source shebangs and linking paths need to be patched to point to the correct paths
 - the build process happens in an isolated build environment apart from any system directories
 - probably more that I haven’t come across yet

I’ve tried using the provided python build process but I get several build errors, let alone runtime issues. Would anyone be able to point me in a direction to patch pyside for such a packaging system? Currently I’m stuck building Shiboken. I’d particularly like guidance on how to setup cmake to build it correctly (mostly the ability to provide our particular flags and variables). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

* Re: Packaging for guix
@ 2019-03-28 10:45 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-28 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: guix-devel

[- pyside]

Hi John,

> I’ve tried using the provided python build process but I get several
> build errors, let alone runtime issues. Would anyone be able to point
> me in a direction to patch pyside for such a packaging system?
> Currently I’m stuck building Shiboken. I’d particularly like guidance
> on how to setup cmake to build it correctly (mostly the ability to
> provide our particular flags and variables). Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Could you show us the package definition you have so far?  Can you also
show us what errors you get?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Packaging for guix
@ 2019-03-28 13:46   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-03-28 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks.  I've been hacking in my channel and master usually has my current
work: https://github.com/jsoo1/guix-channel/blob/master/python-pyside.scm -
current commit is 59f6da3.
<https://github.com/jsoo1/guix-channel/commit/59f6da338ceab793be5c81407e46cd03424b8ae7>
Aside
- I would like to patch most of the working and compatible packages in the
channel back into guix, but freecad has been taking all my guix hacking
time.  I've attached the build log since there are some errors building
both the apiextractor package and the shiboken library.  Note that
python-pyside.scm includes work on version 1 of the Shiboken library. That
build seemed ok but freecad is moving to pyside2.  I followed nix's
strategy of building the packages separately and using cmake-build-system
instead of python (
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/2d656a9729739e8ca5486058a76669d0ea4442df/pkgs/development/python-modules/pyside/shiboken.nix#L33)
for version 1. Pyside 2 is bundled into a single repository so I am not
sure I can do the same thing for it. Thanks again!

- John

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 10:46 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> [- pyside]
>
> Hi John,
>
> > I’ve tried using the provided python build process but I get several
> > build errors, let alone runtime issues. Would anyone be able to point
> > me in a direction to patch pyside for such a packaging system?
> > Currently I’m stuck building Shiboken. I’d particularly like guidance
> > on how to setup cmake to build it correctly (mostly the ability to
> > provide our particular flags and variables). Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> Could you show us the package definition you have so far?  Can you also
> show us what errors you get?
>
> --
> Ricardo

[-- Attachment #2: p52jx2x4c7s2ybx4mj4gv8m97mnaxr-python-pyside-2-v5.11.3-1.4018787.drv.bz2 --]

* Re: Packaging for guix
@ 2019-04-10  9:47 ` Cristián Maureira-Fredes
From: Cristián Maureira-Fredes @ 2019-04-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo, pyside@qt-project.org; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello John,

I'm not familiar with guix, but if the CMake approach doesn't work [1]
and the setuptools also doesn't work [2],
maybe you can share some of the logs related the build errors
so we can see how what's precisely the issue.

Cheers

[1] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/shiboken2
[2] https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_for_Python/GettingStarted/X11

@ 2019-04-19 13:06   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-04-19 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristián Maureira-Fredes; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, pyside@qt-project.org

Hi Cristián,

Thank you! I have been following the cmake path and it seems to be working
better than before. If I find more issues, I will ask.  Thanks again!

- John

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 9:47 AM Cristián Maureira-Fredes <
Cristian.Maureira-Fredes@qt.io> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> I'm not familiar with guix, but if the CMake approach doesn't work [1]
> and the setuptools also doesn't work [2],
> maybe you can share some of the logs related the build errors
> so we can see how what's precisely the issue.
>
> Cheers
>
> [1]
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/shiboken2
> [2] https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_for_Python/GettingStarted/X11

* Re: Packaging for guix
@ 2019-04-27 15:31     ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-04-27 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristián Maureira-Fredes; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, pyside@qt-project.org

Hi Cristián and Ricardo,

A quick update: Shiboken2 builds! Thanks for your guidance!  I may have
more questions when building freecad itself, but this was very helpful.
Thanks again!

- John

* Re: Packaging for guix
@ 2019-05-03 16:43       ` John Soo