unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Western US mirroring?
@ 2023-12-10  1:19 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-12-10  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi, just an idea:

The GNU Guix project currently has a substitution server mirror in the
East coast of the US.

No mirror in the Western US.

The OSU Open Source Lib (https://osuosl.org/) offers hosting resources
to FOSS projects...
https://osuosl.org/services/

Maybe the GNU Guix project can request hosting service from them, to
have a substitution mirror, for example, so more resources can be
available for downloading of artifacts for Guix users...

Maybe this can be expanded later to have more services for Guix and
other GNU projects in the West coast of the US, in cooperation with
the FSF IT?

Wonder if the idea is OK.

* Re: Western US mirroring?
@ 2023-12-10  3:07 ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-12-10  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, guix-devel

Hi Andy,

On Sat, Dec 09 2023, Andy Tai wrote:

> The OSU Open Source Lib (https://osuosl.org/) offers hosting resources
> to FOSS projects...

Great idea! I am in the SF Bay Area and would benefit. Thanks!

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: Western US mirroring?
@ 2023-12-10  7:18 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-12-10  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Andy Tai

Sounds like a great idea!

Le 10 décembre 2023 02:19:16 GMT+01:00, Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> a écrit :
>Hi, just an idea:
>
>The GNU Guix project currently has a substitution server mirror in the
>East coast of the US.
>
>No mirror in the Western US.
>
>The OSU Open Source Lib (https://osuosl.org/) offers hosting resources
>to FOSS projects...
>https://osuosl.org/services/
>
>Maybe the GNU Guix project can request hosting service from them, to
>have a substitution mirror, for example, so more resources can be
>available for downloading of artifacts for Guix users...
>
>Maybe this can be expanded later to have more services for Guix and
>other GNU projects in the West coast of the US, in cooperation with
>the FSF IT?
>
>Wonder if the idea is OK.

* Re: Western US mirroring?
@ 2023-12-11 17:48   ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-12-11 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel

Hi, if the GNU Guix project agrees I can try to get the ball rolling
by applying, but I need OK from Guix maintainers so this can be an
request on the behalf of the Guix project.  Or the Guix maintainers
can go ahead and do it.  Let me know.

On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 11:18 PM Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Sounds like a great idea!
>
> Le 10 décembre 2023 02:19:16 GMT+01:00, Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> a écrit :
> >The GNU Guix project currently has a substitution server mirror in the
> >East coast of the US.
> >
> >No mirror in the Western US.
> >
> >The OSU Open Source Lib (https://osuosl.org/) offers hosting resources
> >to FOSS projects...
> >https://osuosl.org/services/

* Re: Western US mirroring?
@ 2023-12-11 18:01     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-12-11 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Andy Tai, Julien Lepiller, guix-maintainers

[+CC the -maintainers alias for good measure]

I can't speak for the collective but enthousiastic +1 from me.

OSU should already have me on file as representing Guix (for the POWER9 VM) so let me know if I can expedite anything.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: Western US mirroring?
@ 2023-12-11 18:35       ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-12-11 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel, Julien Lepiller, guix-maintainers

Hi, if so you would be the best person for it. if guix maintainers authorize.

--
Andy Tai, atai@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai, Line: andy_tai, WeChat: andytai1010
Year 2023 民國112年

* Re: Western US mirroring?
@ 2023-12-11 18:40         ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-12-11 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: guix-devel, Julien Lepiller, guix-maintainers

I'm happy to assist but not currently available to be volunteered into leading the effort, sorry.

@ 2023-12-11 18:43           ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-12-11 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel, Julien Lepiller, guix-maintainers

Fine. I can take this.