unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* adding motif to guix
@ 2023-01-08 23:50 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-01-08 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi, motif was a major component of Unix for many years and it would be
good to add the (now free software) motif to GNU Guix.  Can package
reviewers take a look of the patch in this issue

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59092

Thanks

* Re: adding motif to guix
@ 2023-01-09  0:15 ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2023-01-09  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: guix-devel

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> Hi, motif was a major component of Unix for many years and it would be
> good to add the (now free software) motif to GNU Guix.  Can package
> reviewers take a look of the patch in this issue
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59092
>
> Thanks

Hello Andy:

By chance is this the same as `openmotif' that is found in the likes of
Debian, also referenced by programs such as GNU Emacs (--with-x-toolkit)
?

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: adding motif to guix
@ 2023-01-09  0:25   ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-01-09  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Brown; +Cc: guix-devel

It should be; openmotif was just some kind of marketing term

Although guix has some existing packages using lesstif, the now dead
early motif clone (as free software) and I don't know if emacs may be
using that...

On Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 4:15 PM Eric Brown <eric.c.brown@mac.com> wrote:

> Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:
>
> > Hi, motif was a major component of Unix for many years and it would be
> > good to add the (now free software) motif to GNU Guix.  Can package
> > reviewers take a look of the patch in this issue
> >
> > https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59092
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hello Andy:
>
> By chance is this the same as `openmotif' that is found in the likes of
> Debian, also referenced by programs such as GNU Emacs (--with-x-toolkit)
> ?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

* Re: adding motif to guix
@ 2023-01-09  3:01     ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2023-01-09  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: guix-devel

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> It should be; openmotif was just some kind of marketing term
>
> Although guix has some existing packages using lesstif, the now dead
> early motif clone (as free software) and I don't know if emacs may be
> using that...

Thanks for the clarification. My interest in this package is because
openmotif is the best of the X window managers that do not suffer from
a rather infamous and longstanding GTK bug which will bring down Emacs.

* Re: adding motif to guix
@ 2023-01-09 17:40       ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2023-01-09 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Brown; +Cc: Andy Tai, guix-devel

> Thanks for the clarification. My interest in this package is because
> openmotif is the best of the X window managers that do not suffer from
> a rather infamous and longstanding GTK bug which will bring down
> Emacs.

Fwiw, debian has an 'emacs-lucid' package (maintained by the debian
guile packages maintainer) that does not depends on Gtk (which i didn't
find on https://packages.guix.gnu.org/)

David

[1]
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=emacs-lucid&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

* Re: adding motif to guix
@ 2023-02-11 23:59       ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-02-11 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Brown, guix-devel

For these interested, this issue/patch adds emacs using motif to Guix

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61421

Please review... etc.

@ 2023-02-12 15:12         ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-02-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Andy Tai, Eric Brown

Hi!

Not a review, but how is *tif ‘not an X toolkit’...?  Why not just say it ‘uses *tif’, instead?

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.