unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12  7:19 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-07-12  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

In the next autumn/winter I would like to try to set up a self hosting
solution

And I'd love it to be GuixSD based

I need some help with selecting the hardware that fits the goal
Hardware is not exactly my thing

A Beaglebone board (or equivalent) ? An Intel NUC (or equivalent) ?

It should probably serve a collection of static files over https, have a
smtp server and an IRC bouncher.

Optionally I'd like it to run some bittorrent or rsync or synchthing or
ipfs or DAT and a Gnunet node.

I'd love to be able to attach some external hard drives to it, both
traditionl hard drives and SSDs.

In the last few years the ADSL that serves my apartment has improved
dramatically

It used to be 300 Kb/s in upload for years

Now it's around 19 Mb/s

The optic fiber cord reached the cabinet just aside the building main
entrance

The copper fragment is now only a few meters.

So I could use some hardware suggestions to set up such a solution based on
GuixSD

It has to be cheap AND moderate in electricity consumption, possibly like a
home router (or something)

Thanks for any hint

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12  7:22 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-07-12  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I forgot: I might want to run a Mastodon (or GNU Social) instance and a
Mediagoblin instance

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12  8:03   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-07-12  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano transcribed 0.4K bytes:
> I forgot: I might want to run a Mastodon (or GNU Social) instance and a
> Mediagoblin instance

As you've noticed yourself when we had that conversation, GNU Social
would be easier to get into Guix native than Mastodon.

While I was working on it (or occasionally do) I wonder why we have so
little rails packages? What happened there?
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Rails
@ 2017-07-12  8:20     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-07-12  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano, guix-devel; +Cc: Frederick M. Muriithi

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 08:03:48AM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> While I was working on it (or occasionally do) I wonder why we have so
> little rails packages? What happened there?

Ruby support is great in Guix. But we don't use Rails much, yet. Dave
started packaging some time back, but not sure what happened. We also
need it for Arvados - Fred is working on that.

Pj.

* Re: Rails
@ 2017-07-12  8:47       ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-07-12  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, Frederick M. Muriithi

Pjotr Prins transcribed 0.4K bytes:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 08:03:48AM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> > While I was working on it (or occasionally do) I wonder why we have so
> > little rails packages? What happened there?
>
> Ruby support is great in Guix. But we don't use Rails much, yet. Dave
> started packaging some time back, but not sure what happened. We also
> need it for Arvados - Fred is working on that.
>
> Pj.

Ah! Good to know. I have some packages in a dirty branch, I just need to
figure out the right order. at the moment it's just one file and the top
view are about 40 rails packages I guess. I'm not sure how many will be
added in layers below.
Some already exist in Guix, but this is the list of gems I need:

gem ‘pkg-config’
gem ‘rails’, ‘~> 5.0.2’
gem ‘sass-rails’, ‘~> 5.0’
gem ‘uglifier’, ‘>= 1.3.0’
gem ‘jquery-rails’
gem ‘puma’
gem ‘hamlit-rails’
gem ‘pg’
gem ‘pghero’
gem ‘dotenv-rails’
gem ‘font-awesome-rails’
gem ‘best_in_place’, ‘~> 3.0.1’
gem ‘paperclip’, ‘~> 5.1’
gem ‘paperclip-av-transcoder’
gem ‘aws-sdk’, ‘>= 2.0’
gem ‘addressable’
gem ‘devise’
gem ‘devise-two-factor’
gem ‘doorkeeper’
gem ‘fast_blank’
gem ‘goldfinger’
gem ‘hiredis’
gem ‘htmlentities’
gem ‘http’
gem ‘http_accept_language’
gem ‘httplog’
gem ‘kaminari’
gem ‘link_header’
gem ‘nokogiri’
gem ‘oj’
gem ‘ostatus2’, ‘~> 1.1’
gem ‘ox’
gem ‘rabl’
gem ‘rack-attack’
gem ‘rack-cors’, require: ‘rack/cors’
gem ‘rack-timeout’
gem ‘rails-i18n’
gem ‘rails-settings-cached’
gem ‘redis’, ‘~>3.2’, require: [‘redis’, ‘redis/connection/hiredis’]
gem ‘rqrcode’
gem ‘ruby-oembed’, require: ‘oembed’
gem ‘sidekiq’
gem ‘sidekiq-unique-jobs’
gem ‘simple-navigation’
gem ‘simple_form’
gem ‘sprockets-rails’, :require => ‘sprockets/railtie’
gem ‘statsd-instrument’
gem ‘twitter-text’
gem ‘tzinfo-data’
gem ‘whatlanguage’
gem ‘react-rails’
gem ‘browserify-rails’
gem ‘autoprefixer-rails’
gem ‘rails_12factor’
gem ‘redis-rails’
gem ‘lograge’

The work will probably be an exercise in futility as the software
(Mastodon) will not be included in Guix as it requires a binary blob
with all the Nodejs packages, unless some of the people working on
nodejs has an epiphany or nodejs decides to become more accessible,
or hell freezes over, whatever happens first.
--

@ 2017-07-12  8:53     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-07-12  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano, guix-devel

> Catonano transcribed 0.4K bytes:
> > I forgot: I might want to run a Mastodon (or GNU Social) instance and a
> > Mediagoblin instance
>
> As you've noticed yourself when we had that conversation, GNU Social
> would be easier to get into Guix native than Mastodon.

Sorry, I didn't remember we already had this conversation

> While I was working on it (or occasionally do) I wonder why we have so
> little rails packages? What happened there?

Because I understand the woes of missing packages, I'd say: let's keep it
basic

Let's say I just want statiic web sites, a mail server and an IRC bouncher

That is: let's talk about hardware. That's where I need help

I get lost in the sea of boards and mini/micro servers
I don't know much abot architectures and their support in Guix

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12  9:06 ` Solène Rapenne
From: Solène Rapenne @ 2017-07-12  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Je 2017-07-12 09:19, Catonano skribis:

> In the next autumn/winter I would like to try to set up a self hosting
> solution
>
> And I'd love it to be GuixSD based
>
> I need some help with selecting the hardware that fits the goal
> Hardware is not exactly my thing
>
> A Beaglebone board (or equivalent) ? An Intel NUC (or equivalent) ?
>
> It should probably serve a collection of static files over https, have
> a smtp server and an IRC bouncher.
>
> Optionally I'd like it to run some bittorrent or rsync or synchthing or
> ipfs or DAT and a Gnunet node.
>
> I'd love to be able to attach some external hard drives to it, both
> traditionl hard drives and SSDs.
>
> In the last few years the ADSL that serves my apartment has improved
> dramatically
>
> It used to be 300 Kb/s in upload for years
>
> Now it's around 19 Mb/s
>
> The optic fiber cord reached the cabinet just aside the building main
> entrance
>
> The copper fragment is now only a few meters.
>
> So I could use some hardware suggestions to set up such a solution
> based on GuixSD
>
> It has to be cheap AND moderate in electricity consumption, possibly
> like a home router (or something)
>
> Thanks for any hint

Hello,

if you have some space and you are not afraid by noise, I would go for a
homemade computer.
That would allow you to add network cards if you need and lot of hard
drives.

If you go for a NUC or a mini-itx computer, that will not allow you to
upgrade, and you may be limited to
1x 2.5" disk + 1x SSD in m3 format.

You just need :

- a processor (pentium/celeron, cheap and works well, and won't consume
much)
- hard drive
- motherboard (you can by a cheap motherboard, look at the number of
SATA ports)
- case (cheapest possible)
- power supply (buy a good one but not with a lot of power, 80+
standards can help to choose)
- 2x memory (2/4/8 Gb as you want)

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12 10:48   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-07-12 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Solène Rapenne; +Cc: guix-devel

> Je 2017-07-12 09:19, Catonano skribis:
>

> In the next autumn/winter I would like to try to set up a self hosting
>> solution
>>
>> And I'd love it to be GuixSD based
>>
>> I need some help with selecting the hardware that fits the goal
>> Hardware is not exactly my thing
>>
>> A Beaglebone board (or equivalent) ? An Intel NUC (or equivalent) ?
>>
>> It should probably serve a collection of static files over https, have a
>> smtp server and an IRC bouncher.
>>
>> Optionally I'd like it to run some bittorrent or rsync or synchthing or
>> ipfs or DAT and a Gnunet node.
>>
>> I'd love to be able to attach some external hard drives to it, both
>> traditionl hard drives and SSDs.
>>
>> In the last few years the ADSL that serves my apartment has improved
>> dramatically
>>
>> It used to be 300 Kb/s in upload for years
>>
>> Now it's around 19 Mb/s
>>
>> The optic fiber cord reached the cabinet just aside the building main
>> entrance
>>
>> The copper fragment is now only a few meters.
>>
>> So I could use some hardware suggestions to set up such a solution based
>> on GuixSD
>>
>> It has to be cheap AND moderate in electricity consumption, possibly like
>> a home router (or something)
>>
>> Thanks for any hint
>>

> Hello,
>
> if you have some space and you are not afraid by noise, I would go for a
> homemade computer.
> That would allow you to add network cards if you need and lot of hard
> drives.
>
> If you go for a NUC or a mini-itx computer, that will not allow you to
> upgrade, and you may be limited to
> 1x 2.5" disk + 1x SSD in m3 format.
>
> You just need :
>
> - a processor (pentium/celeron, cheap and works well, and won't consume
> much)
> - hard drive
> - motherboard (you can by a cheap motherboard, look at the number of SATA
> ports)
> - case (cheapest possible)
> - power supply (buy a good one but not with a lot of power, 80+ standards
> can help to choose)
> - 2x memory (2/4/8 Gb as you want)

Ok, no exotic hardware

Thanks, Solène !

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12 12:40   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-07-12 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sol??ne Rapenne; +Cc: guix-devel

You should also take a look at ARM, such as Gigabyte MP30-AR1

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12 13:34       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-07-12 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> Let's say I just want statiic web sites, a mail server and an IRC bouncher
>
> That is: let's talk about hardware. That's where I need help

I’m using a Samsung N148 netbook for elephly.net.  I don’t run a mail
server, but I use it for XMPP, IRC bouncer, static web sites, git
server, Tor, etc.

It’s small (thinner than my router), cheap (if you can still get it),
and it has an Intel Atom CPU, so it doesn’t consume much.  It’s i686
with limited RAM, so at the moment it’s barely enough to compile Guix,
but I hope we can fix this before the next release will be out.

The hardware works fine with GuixSD, as far as I can tell.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12 14:37     ` Solène Rapenne
From: Solène Rapenne @ 2017-07-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Je 2017-07-12 14:40, Pjotr Prins skribis:
> You should also take a look at ARM, such as Gigabyte MP30-AR1

I wasn't aware of the availability of this hardware.
But it's pretty expensive, the motherboard with SoC processor costs
~450€.

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-12 15:03       ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2017-07-12 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Solène Rapenne; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Solène Rapenne <solene@perso.pw> wrote:
> Je 2017-07-12 14:40, Pjotr Prins skribis:
>>
>> You should also take a look at ARM, such as Gigabyte MP30-AR1
>
> I wasn't aware of the availability of this hardware.

Is this still really available ? My 5 secs search found it looks out of stock.

I remember having seen some discussions on debian-arm ML with reports
of problematic firmware/BIOS...

<Looks>

Here it is:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2016/09/msg00022.html

> But it's pretty expensive, the motherboard with SoC processor costs ~450€.

No, that's cheap, really, have a look at that one:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workstation

Tchuss

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-14  8:44         ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-07-14  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Let's say I just want statiic web sites, a mail server and an IRC
> bouncher
> >
> > That is: let's talk about hardware. That's where I need help
>
> I’m using a Samsung N148 netbook for elephly.net.  I don’t run a mail
> server, but I use it for XMPP, IRC bouncer, static web sites, git
> server, Tor, etc.
>
> It’s small (thinner than my router), cheap (if you can still get it),
> and it has an Intel Atom CPU, so it doesn’t consume much.  It’s i686
> with limited RAM, so at the moment it’s barely enough to compile Guix,
> but I hope we can fix this before the next release will be out.
>
> The hardware works fine with GuixSD, as far as I can tell.

As far sa I understand, no, it can't be bought anymore

But I get your message about what kind of machhines can be used for this

Thanks

* Re: self hosting hardware
@ 2017-07-14  8:47         ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-07-14  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel, Solène Rapenne

> But it's pretty expensive, the motherboard with SoC processor costs ~450€.
>
> No, that's cheap, really, have a look at that one:
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/
> talos-secure-workstation

I'm not sure I understand wat you mean to indicate, with this link

It takes me to the Talos Motherbard campaign page. But that campaign is
failed, as afr as I understand.
Is there any hardware from that project that can be bought ?

* Re: Rails
@ 2017-07-14  9:42         ` Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2017-07-14  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, Catonano, guix-devel, Frederick M. Muriithi

On 12/07/17 18:47, ng0 wrote:
> Pjotr Prins transcribed 0.4K bytes:
>> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 08:03:48AM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>>> While I was working on it (or occasionally do) I wonder why we have so
>>> little rails packages? What happened there?
>> Ruby support is great in Guix. But we don't use Rails much, yet. Dave
>> started packaging some time back, but not sure what happened. We also
>> need it for Arvados - Fred is working on that.
>>
>> Pj.
>>

> Ah! Good to know. I have some packages in a dirty branch, I just need to
> figure out the right order. at the moment it's just one file and the top
> view are about 40 rails packages I guess.
There is actually a branch wip-rails on savannah that boots rails. It is
somewhat dated, and needs some overall work (removal of unused packages,
to start). Help is welcome - I won't be able to get to this for a few
months at least.

Many of the packages you list ng0 are in that branch, or already in Guix.

ben