unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-10-24 20:10 Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-10-24 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Europe, Guix Devel, help-guix

Hi,

Some of us will be in Toulouse, INP-N7, 26 rue Riquet on 18 & 19
november for Capitole du Libre:

    https://capitoledulibre.org/

We will stand in Village Associatif.  Let us know if you can help us
at the event.  Well, I do not know exactly what means "a stand" since
it will be the first for me. :-)  I guess it mainly consists to be
around the Guix booth, chat with people about why Guix is awesome! and
maybe demo some Guix features.

Feel free to share your ideas. :-)

Concretely, if you are planning to come, let synchronize and share the
fun.  Andreas and I will be there.  Who is in?  Do not be shy and drop
an email; off-list possibly.

If you are there, please stop at the wonderful Guix kakemono and say hi.

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers,
simon

PS: The event is in French-speaking.

* Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-10-24 20:17 ` Vivien Kraus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vivien Kraus @ 2023-10-24 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe, Guix Devel, help-guix

Bonsoir Simon,

Le mardi 24 octobre 2023 à 22:10 +0200, Simon Tournier a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Some of us will be in Toulouse, INP-N7, 26 rue Riquet on 18 & 19
> november for Capitole du Libre:
>
>     https://capitoledulibre.org/
>
> We will stand in Village Associatif.  Let us know if you can help us
> at the event.  Well, I do not know exactly what means "a stand" since
> it will be the first for me. :-)  I guess it mainly consists to be
> around the Guix booth, chat with people about why Guix is awesome!
> and
> maybe demo some Guix features.
>
> Feel free to share your ideas. :-)
>
> Concretely, if you are planning to come, let synchronize and share
> the
> fun.  Andreas and I will be there.  Who is in?  Do not be shy and
> drop
> an email; off-list possibly.
>
> If you are there, please stop at the wonderful Guix kakemono and say
> hi.
>
> Hope to see you soon.

Je compte bien y aller !

Vivien

* Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-10-25  7:09   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2023-10-25  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vivien Kraus; +Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe, Guix Devel

Am Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 10:17:01PM +0200 schrieb Vivien Kraus:
> > Some of us will be in Toulouse, INP-N7, 26 rue Riquet on 18 & 19
> > november for Capitole du Libre:
> > We will stand in Village Associatif.  Let us know if you can help us
> > at the event.  Well, I do not know exactly what means "a stand" since
> > it will be the first for me. :-)  I guess it mainly consists to be
> > around the Guix booth, chat with people about why Guix is awesome!
> > and
> > maybe demo some Guix features.
> > Feel free to share your ideas. :-)

Personally I am always drawn to strange hardware. So if anyone coming
has a single board computer running Guix (Guix system?), this would be
nice to show. Actually we would also need a screen then; I have a spare
one, but it would be difficult to transport by bus and train.

We need stickers! Julien, were you not the one buying our latest batch?
Maybe we could order more, we should have Guix Foundation pay for it.

We need flyers! Maybe print a number of reference cards? It looks like the
project is missing a promotional flyer to be given to attract newcomers.

> Je compte bien y aller !

Chouette! L'idée serait que plus on est nombreux, plus on peut alterner
sur le stand et aussi profiter nous-mêmes de quelques présentations et
autres stands. Je viens les deux jours, mais arrive assez tard samedi
(11h27 à la gare) et repars assez tôt dimanche (17h24 de la gare).

Andreas

* Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-10-25  9:46 ` Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2023-10-25  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe, Guix Devel, help-guix

Hi everyone,

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Some of us will be in Toulouse, INP-N7, 26 rue Riquet on 18 & 19
> november for Capitole du Libre:
> [...]
> Concretely, if you are planning to come, let synchronize and share the
> fun.  Andreas and I will be there.  Who is in?  Do not be shy and drop
> an email; off-list possibly.

I will be there!  When will you arrive in Toulouse?

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-10-25 18:11     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-10-25 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus
  Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe, Guix Devel

Le 25 octobre 2023 09:09:46 GMT+02:00, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> a écrit :
>Am Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 10:17:01PM +0200 schrieb Vivien Kraus:
>> > Some of us will be in Toulouse, INP-N7, 26 rue Riquet on 18 & 19
>> > november for Capitole du Libre:
>> > We will stand in Village Associatif.  Let us know if you can help us
>> > at the event.  Well, I do not know exactly what means "a stand" since
>> > it will be the first for me. :-)  I guess it mainly consists to be
>> > around the Guix booth, chat with people about why Guix is awesome!
>> > and
>> > maybe demo some Guix features.
>> > Feel free to share your ideas. :-)
>
>Personally I am always drawn to strange hardware. So if anyone coming
>has a single board computer running Guix (Guix system?), this would be
>nice to show. Actually we would also need a screen then; I have a spare
>one, but it would be difficult to transport by bus and train.

I'll be there and since I live in Toulouse, I can bring a screen if necessary. I already planned to help oith the OSM stand though, so I probably won't stay long on the Guix stand.

>We need stickers! Julien, were you not the one buying our latest batch?

I had a batch of square stickers that lasted for a few years, but I managed to get rid of it during our last guix days. I'll order some more, they'll be useful for futuse events too.

>Maybe we could order more, we should have Guix Foundation pay for it.
>
>We need flyers! Maybe print a number of reference cards? It looks like the
>project is missing a promotional flyer to be given to attract newcomers.

I can order flyers, visit cards or anything else, but I'd need help with the design.

@ 2023-10-25 20:37       ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-10-25 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus
  Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1954 bytes --]

Hi,

El 25/10/23 a las 18:11, Julien Lepiller escribió:

>> Personally I am always drawn to strange hardware. So if anyone coming
>> has a single board computer running Guix (Guix system?), this would be
>> nice to show. Actually we would also need a screen then; I have a spare
>> one, but it would be difficult to transport by bus and train.
> I'll be there and since I live in Toulouse, I can bring a screen if necessary. I already planned to help oith the OSM stand though, so I probably won't stay long on the Guix stand.
>
>> We need stickers! Julien, were you not the one buying our latest batch?
> I had a batch of square stickers that lasted for a few years, but I managed to get rid of it during our last guix days. I'll order some more, they'll be useful for futuse events too.
>
>> Maybe we could order more, we should have Guix Foundation pay for it.
>>
>> We need flyers! Maybe print a number of reference cards? It looks like the
>> project is missing a promotional flyer to be given to attract newcomers.
> I can order flyers, visit cards or anything else, but I'd need help with the design.
I think I can help, but I'd need to know about the dimensions for flyers
and visit cards the printer can handle, and your preferred size (if
there's more than one option).

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-10-25 21:17         ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-10-25 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, guix-devel, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus
  Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe

The print service I usually use has a lot of options for flyers, {10,15,20,30}*{10,15,20,30}, 12*12, 21*29.7 and 30*40 cm. I think 15*20 would be best.

Visit cards would be 3.5*7.5, 5.5*8.5 or 5*9 cm

@ 2023-10-26 14:03           ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-10-26 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus
  Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 355 bytes --]

El 25/10/23 a las 21:17, Julien Lepiller escribió:
> The print service I usually use has a lot of options for flyers, {10,15,20,30}*{10,15,20,30}, 12*12, 21*29.7 and 30*40 cm. I think 15*20 would be best.
>
> Visit cards would be 3.5*7.5, 5.5*8.5 or 5*9 cm
Thanks, Julien, I'll hopefully have something ready for next week. I'll
let you all know.

@ 2023-11-02 19:48             ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-11-02 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus
  Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1175 bytes --]

Hi,

El 26/10/23 a las 14:03, Luis Felipe escribió:
> El 25/10/23 a las 21:17, Julien Lepiller escribió:
>> The print service I usually use has a lot of options for flyers,
>> {10,15,20,30}*{10,15,20,30}, 12*12, 21*29.7 and 30*40 cm. I think
>> 15*20 would be best.
>>
>> Visit cards would be 3.5*7.5, 5.5*8.5 or 5*9 cm
> Thanks, Julien, I'll hopefully have something ready for next week.
> I'll let you all know.

Here's a visit card in the same style of the kakemono:

https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/downloads/pdf/gnu-guix-visit-card-A01-EN-90x50mm.pdf

The source is in https://codeberg.org/luis-felipe/guix-graphics/
(promotional/cards).

Please note that I haven't printed a sample yet to see if it works
alright. So, if you like it and can't wait to print it, I'd recommend
printing a sample first.

Also, this card is in English. If you'd prefer a French version, please
help me with the translation, and I'll create a copy :)

Finally, I'm not feeling motivated to design a flyer. Compared to cards,
I think most people throw flyers away, so it seems kinda wasteful to me.

Anyways, let me know what you think.

Cheers,

@ 2023-11-03 12:39               ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-11-03 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe
  Cc: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus,
	Simon Tournier, guix-europe

Luis Felipe <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

> El 26/10/23 a las 14:03, Luis Felipe escribió:
>> El 25/10/23 a las 21:17, Julien Lepiller escribió:
>>> The print service I usually use has a lot of options for flyers,
>>> {10,15,20,30}*{10,15,20,30}, 12*12, 21*29.7 and 30*40 cm. I think
>>> 15*20 would be best.
>>>
>>> Visit cards would be 3.5*7.5, 5.5*8.5 or 5*9 cm
>> Thanks, Julien, I'll hopefully have something ready for next
>> week. I'll let you all know.
>
> Here's a visit card in the same style of the kakemono:
>
> https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/downloads/pdf/gnu-guix-visit-card-A01-EN-90x50mm.pdf
>
> The source is in https://codeberg.org/luis-felipe/guix-graphics/
> (promotional/cards).

Wonderful work, Luis Felipe!  I’d love to have some of these for future
presentations or conferences.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-11-03 16:54               ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-11-03 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus
  Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Europe

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1469 bytes --]

Hello again,

El 2/11/23 a las 19:48, Luis Felipe escribió:
> Hi,
>
> El 26/10/23 a las 14:03, Luis Felipe escribió:
>> El 25/10/23 a las 21:17, Julien Lepiller escribió:
>>> The print service I usually use has a lot of options for flyers,
>>> {10,15,20,30}*{10,15,20,30}, 12*12, 21*29.7 and 30*40 cm. I think
>>> 15*20 would be best.
>>>
>>> Visit cards would be 3.5*7.5, 5.5*8.5 or 5*9 cm
>> Thanks, Julien, I'll hopefully have something ready for next week.
>> I'll let you all know.
>
> Here's a visit card in the same style of the kakemono:
>
> https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/downloads/pdf/gnu-guix-visit-card-A01-EN-90x50mm.pdf
>

> The source is in https://codeberg.org/luis-felipe/guix-graphics/
> (promotional/cards).
>
> Please note that I haven't printed a sample yet to see if it works
> alright. So, if you like it and can't wait to print it, I'd recommend
> printing a sample first.

I didn't find a local printer that would run a printing test for a few
cards using the same machines and materials used for printing in bulk,
so I made a really cheap printing test on regular printing paper, and
the design looks good to me: colors are acceptable and text is readable.
Here's a picture:

https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/media/2023/11/gnu-guix-visit-card-A01-EN-cheap-print-test-02.jpg

If you see white artifacts and worn-out blacks, that's just the cheap
printing showing its natural flaws.

Cheers,

@ 2023-11-03 16:57                 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-11-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus
  Cc: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus,
	Simon Tournier, guix-europe

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 932 bytes --]

El 3/11/23 a las 12:39, Ricardo Wurmus escribió:
> Luis Felipe <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

>>> Thanks, Julien, I'll hopefully have something ready for next
>>> week. I'll let you all know.
>> Here's a visit card in the same style of the kakemono:
>>
>> https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/downloads/pdf/gnu-guix-visit-card-A01-EN-90x50mm.pdf
>>
>> The source is in https://codeberg.org/luis-felipe/guix-graphics/
>> (promotional/cards).
> Wonderful work, Luis Felipe!  I’d love to have some of these for future
> presentations or conferences.
Thanks, Ricardo. Glad you like it :)

@ 2023-11-03 21:19                 ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-11-03 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus
  Cc: Luis Felipe, Julien Lepiller, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus,
	Simon Tournier, guix-europe, guix-devel

On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 01:39 PM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Luis Felipe <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

>>> Thanks, Julien, I'll hopefully have something ready for next
>>> week. I'll let you all know.
>>
>> Here's a visit card in the same style of the kakemono:
>>
>> <https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/downloads/pdf/gnu-guix-visit-card-A01-EN-90x50mm.pdf>
>>
>> The source is in <https://codeberg.org/luis-felipe/guix-graphics/>
>> (promotional/cards).
>
> Wonderful work, Luis Felipe!  I’d love to have some of these for future
> presentations or conferences.

Seconding this, looks great and adding it to my list of Guix swag I
would like to have one day!

* Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-11-04 16:41                   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-11-04 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kehayias, Ricardo Wurmus
  Cc: Julien Lepiller, Andreas Enge, Vivien Kraus, Simon Tournier,
	guix-europe, guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1110 bytes --]

El 3/11/23 a las 21:19, John Kehayias escribió:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 01:39 PM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>
>> Luis Felipe <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

>>> Here's a visit card in the same style of the kakemono:
>>>
>>> <https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/downloads/pdf/gnu-guix-visit-card-A01-EN-90x50mm.pdf>
>>>
>>> The source is in <https://codeberg.org/luis-felipe/guix-graphics/>
>>> (promotional/cards).
>> Wonderful work, Luis Felipe!  I’d love to have some of these for future
>> presentations or conferences.
> Seconding this, looks great and adding it to my list of Guix swag I
> would like to have one day!
Great to hear, John, thanks.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Stand Guix au Capitole du Libre à Toulouse, nov. 18-19
@ 2023-11-08 23:07 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-11-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Europe, Guix Devel, help-guix
  Cc: Andreas Enge, Julien Lepiller, Vivien Kraus, Josselin Poiret,
	Nicolas Goaziou

Salut,

La date du Capitole du Libre approche... Chouette !

L'organisation Capitole du Libre demande le nombre de personnes qui
aideront pour le stand (une histoire de sécurité et de badge).

Il serait aussi judicieux que l’on puisse avoir une idée entre nous pour
faciliter la journée ou les journées.

Qu’est-ce que cela signifie être au stand ?  Parler de Guix et de
logiciel libre.  Rien de formel et pas besoin d’être un expert. :-) Si
vous lisez cet email, cela signifie que vous êtes suffisamment intéressé
par Guix pour en discuter avec des gens qui ne connaissent pas du tout.

Par exemple, les créneaux qui me conviendraient – rien de fixe non plus
;-) – présence samedi matin pour l’installation jusqu’à 13h, vadrouille
jusqu’à 15h, puis 15h-19h.  J’aimerais arriver le dimanche vers 11h,
puis jusqu’au démontage.  Bref, voilà l’idée quoi. :-)

Vous pouvez m’envoyer un email en privé si vous préférez.  Et cela ne
vous engage pas de manière ferme non plus.

À très vite,
simon

* Feedback (was Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-11-29 16:01 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-11-29 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Europe, Guix Devel, help-guix

Hi,

Thanks all people!  It was a very interesting experience for me and a
very good moment.  I hope that we will do again in the near future.

As a record for the next time, let me mention two points that help:

 1. Demos!  It seems very helpful to have both: Guix System and Guix on
    foreign distro.  Depending on the people, some are interested by one
    or the other.  Mainly, what mark points (main selling arguments ;-))

    Guix on foreign distro:

      a) do not interact with foreign distro
          => good complement and rolling release
      b) containerized  shell
          => please developers

    Guix System:

      a) roll-back
      b) transactional
      c) roll-back at GRUB level

 2. An explanation about what makes Guix different compared to X

    where X is:

    i) classical distro as Arch, Gentoo, Debian, etc.
    ii) Nix and NixOS

Sadly, we do not have a clear story for ii) IMHO.

Well, from my point of view, the main difference is the continuous*
approach of Guix – the same “language“ from declaring packages or OS
configuration to Guix core; except the daemon, another story. ;-) Well,
that “language” allows to implement a powerful solution as G-expression
tackling, among other things, string interpolation.

It could be nice if we could collectively draft a short FAQ about what
Guix is and Guix is not, answering such common questions.

Cheers,
simon

*continuous approach: The Emacs Thesis :-)
----------------------

The story of Guile is the story of bringing the development experience
of Emacs to the mass of programs on a GNU system.

   Emacs, when it was first created in its GNU form in 1984, was a new
take on the problem of “how to make a program”.  The Emacs thesis is
that it is delightful to create composite programs based on an
orthogonal kernel written in a low-level language together with a
powerful, high-level extension language.

   Extension languages foster extensible programs, programs which adapt
readily to different users and to changing times.  Proof of this can be
seen in Emacs’ current and continued existence, spanning more than a
quarter-century.

   Besides providing for modification of a program by others, extension
languages are good for _intension_ as well.  Programs built in “the
Emacs way” are pleasurable and easy for their authors to flesh out with
the features that they need.

   After the Emacs experience was appreciated more widely, a number of
hackers started to consider how to spread this experience to the rest of
the GNU system.  It was clear that the easiest way to Emacsify a program
would be to embed a shared language implementation into it.

* Re: Feedback (was Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse)
@ 2023-11-30  8:05   ` Oliver Propst
From: Oliver Propst @ 2023-11-30  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Guix Europe, Guix Devel, help-guix

On 2023-11-29 17:01, Simon Tournier wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Simon thanks for the update.

--
Kinds regards Oliver Propst

* Re: Feedback (was Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse)
@ 2023-12-04 15:13   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2023-12-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Guix Europe, Guix Devel

Hello,

Am Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 05:01:12PM +0100 schrieb Simon Tournier:
>     Guix on foreign distro:
>       a) do not interact with foreign distro
>           => good complement and rolling release
>       b) containerized  shell
>           => please developers

and also "roll-back", although it is more important for keeping a
bootable system.

>  2. An explanation about what makes Guix different compared to X
>     where X is:
>     ii) Nix and NixOS
> Sadly, we do not have a clear story for ii) IMHO.

I would say "free software only" and "quality" (I am still traumatised
by Nix "packaging" texlive through wrapping binary Debian packages).
Plus what you mention about the unified programming language throughout.

Andreas

* Re: Feedback (was Re: Meet Guix at Capitole du Libre in Toulouse)
@ 2023-12-04 20:37     ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-12-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Simon Tournier; +Cc: Guix Europe, Guix Devel

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 04 2023, Andreas Enge wrote:

> Plus ... the unified ... language throughout.

In my view, that's GNU Guix's greatest selling point: Once someone
embraces Guile, they have all the tools they'll need. It simplifies the
communications among contributors and makes it easier to collaborate.

Maybe one day the crowds will see the light and shower us with their
attention!

Of course, many folks have also felt that way about Emacs and Lisp for
fifty years. They are still waiting, too...

Kind regards
Felix