unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* graphical installer
@ 2020-02-04 11:31 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2020-02-04 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I'm setting up a guix developer machine after a really long time
without one.
One instant feedback on the installer: it would be nice to have
a territory "Other" or just any continent and country combination
(in the Locale step).
My motivation is that I usually have an en_US.UTF-8 locale in
Germany. I don't think it's a common case, but I think I'm not
a special exception.

I could use the old way to install Guix System, but I wanted to
try out the improvements which might've happened in my inactive
time :)

* Re: graphical installer
@ 2020-02-04 11:43 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2020-02-04 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

In the end it doesn't matter because this is just semantics
and temporary irritation when you see it for the first time.

Other systems handle this differently in their installer.

* Re: graphical installer
@ 2020-02-04 11:46 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-02-04 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 at 12:36, ng0 <ng0@n0.is> wrote:

> a territory "Other" or just any continent and country combination
> (in the Locale step).
> My motivation is that I usually have an en_US.UTF-8 locale in
> Germany. I don't think it's a common case, but I think I'm not
> a special exception.

I have en_GB.UTF-8 in France.
So no special exception. ;-)

All the best,
simon

* Re: graphical installer
@ 2020-02-04 12:26   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-02-04 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 12:46:27PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 at 12:36, ng0 <ng0@n0.is> wrote:
>
> > a territory "Other" or just any continent and country combination
> > (in the Locale step).
> > My motivation is that I usually have an en_US.UTF-8 locale in
> > Germany. I don't think it's a common case, but I think I'm not
> > a special exception.
>
> I have en_GB.UTF-8 in France.
> So no special exception. ;-)

Perhaps we could have a suggested list at the top and then a full list
of all the options (without deduplication) under them.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: graphical installer
@ 2020-02-04 12:47     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-02-04 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Efraim Flashner, zimoun

Le 4 février 2020 07:26:46 GMT-05:00, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> a écrit :
>On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 12:46:27PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 at 12:36, ng0 <ng0@n0.is> wrote:
>>
>> > a territory "Other" or just any continent and country combination
>> > (in the Locale step).
>> > My motivation is that I usually have an en_US.UTF-8 locale in
>> > Germany. I don't think it's a common case, but I think I'm not
>> > a special exception.
>>
>> I have en_GB.UTF-8 in France.
>> So no special exception. ;-)
>
>Perhaps we could have a suggested list at the top and then a full list
>of all the options (without deduplication) under them.

The territory is the one for the locale, it has nothing to do with your current location. If you are in Germany and want en_US, select US. If you are in France and want en_GB, select UK. Maybe we can improve the text to avoid this confusion? "Which territory's conventions do you want to use for that language?" or something, maybe

* Re: graphical installer
@ 2020-02-04 12:55       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-02-04 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 at 13:47, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Le 4 février 2020 07:26:46 GMT-05:00, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> a écrit :
> >On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 12:46:27PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> I have en_GB.UTF-8 in France.
> >> So no special exception. ;-)
> >
> >Perhaps we could have a suggested list at the top and then a full list
> >of all the options (without deduplication) under them.
>
> The territory is the one for the locale, it has nothing to do with your current location. If you are in Germany and want en_US, select US. If you are in France and want en_GB, select UK. Maybe we can improve the text to avoid this confusion? "Which territory's conventions do you want to use for that language?" or something, maybe

I do not know if it makes sense and I have not tried recently but for
example with the Debian installer, this choice UK to get en_GB
conditions then the time zone choice -- which is annoying when one
wants en_GB but lives in Chile for example because you have then an
extra step for resetting.

Cheers,
simon